An Unanticipated Arrival

An Unanticipated Arrival

A Story by J.Michele

Darkness. Silence. I never thought that I would crave these again. A cold wind blows like the breath of winter ice as the bright and mysterious moon looks down on the lost souls that roam the silence. The branches of the tall, dark-wooded, weeping willow move to its snowlike grace. Only a month ago did the fragments of sunlight mould into the leaves of mixed green to reveal a piece of tranquillity so stunning that even the birds stopped to gaze at the view. Life was good then, no complications. It was that view that remained so vibrant in my mind, even after I died. Did I wish I could feel the earth pulsing through my veins, rocking me to the core? Sure. Did I miss seeing things in a different light, a living light? Sure. But did I miss being human. No. Never do I regret the day the world was pulled from underneath me. Nor the fact that many believe I am actually in a grave in an ancient and rusted cemetery in St. Petersburg. The girl that is buried there… well… lets just say she deserved it. The darkness yields to me, as I stand huddled against the willow. Bark scratching my bear and raw back. Warm blood slithers down my arms from the deep gashes on my left shoulder and open back. But it doesn’t matter, I’ll heal soon enough. For now I must stay calm and wait. Wait to see if the creatures followed me. See if they figured out who, what, I am. Adrenaline pumps through my veins and the silence grips my ears. As I gaze up into the stars, thick clouds cover the moon and I can smell the moist air. Rain. I release a sigh and know they won’t find me. With the weather on my side, my tracks will be covered and the blood washed away. As the rain, like giant teardrops, pound the earth, I reach into the tree and find my lucky leather satchel wedged between the thick branches. As the drooping leaves and branches act as cover, stopping the rain and concealing me, I untie my satchel and pull out my long and faded black cloak and wrap it around myself. As I swing the satchel around my intact shoulder, I fumble through the willow’s leaves and make my way back to Inn. As the cold air seeps into my bones from the adrenaline wearing off, it brushes my cloak from side to side. The pain starting to sink in, I realise just how lucky I was to not have my head ripped off from encountering those nasty creatures. Damn wolves. The rain has slowed and the wind picks up again. It was a bad idea going out tonight. To hunt when it was a full moon. Glad I put my satchel in the willow as back up. Never no what the world will do if you put your back to it. Once I get to the outskirts of the Inn I hear laughter and smell the sour odour of beer. As I reach the back door, I am just about to push the wooden door open when I hear rustling from behind me.

“Well, well, well what do we have here?” says a low and powerful voice, so annoying, so familiar. I really shouldn’t have gone out tonight. 

© 2015 J.Michele


Author's Note

J.Michele
This is a full short story, hope you enjoy x :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
Added on September 15, 2015
Last Updated on September 15, 2015
Tags: Vampires, werewolves, mystery

Author

J.Michele
J.Michele

Australia



About
Hello, I'm Jess :) I am just a girl trying to find her path in life. I have always had a passion for creative writing and is something I would love to study in the future, but sadly I have no idea if .. more..

Writing
Inception Inception

A Story by J.Michele


Oasis Oasis

A Story by J.Michele