The Last one Left

The Last one Left

A Story by Joe Feely
"

A short story about that takes place in an apocalyptic world, where an unknown entity has destroyed nearly everything.

"

The Last one Left


    Dark ruins of what was once a great city, fire in the streets, old cars abandoned among the cracked and torn roads. The dead city brings on a terrifying silence. The shadows of the once majestic skyscrapers stretch across the roads and buildings, shading them in a dark gray.
   
    I have searched everywhere to find someone else. Someone who will guide me to the resolution to these problems. Someone who will take my hand and tell me that everything is going to be alright. So far I have seen no one besides their skeletal remains. I see birds in the sky, watching over the dark world, looking for something to eat. I haven’t eaten in days. My journey has been long and hard to reach this city. I was told back home that this city would probably of not been plundered by the dark essence by now. Unfortunately the dark essence has seemingly immersed itself throughout this city. I cannot return home anymore, for it is gone as well.

    I look deep down the roads and alleys of the city just hoping to spot life. Even if it was just a dog, cat or mouse I would be glad. I need a companion. I was hoping that there would be some slim chance that people would of still existed here, but instead I only find the city in which they once inhabited, empty like shells which wash up from the depths of the ocean. A breeze blows by and in it I can hear a ghostly howl. It slides across my neck making my hairs stand up and running a shiver through my body. How cold and empty this city has become. I move forward down deeper into the dark city.
   
    Among the shadows of the city I find old signs of stores and restaurants, covered in dirt and settled dust. I look at them as I slowly walk by in the muddy streets. I see McDonalds, KFC, Pizza hut, Olive garden, Wallgreens, Bestbuy, Toys R Us. Their all gone now. The city was now gone, lost in the wrath of the dark essence.
   

I knew I had to stop the dark essence. It destroyed everything else besides me. There was something about me that it did not want to touch with its cursed will to destroy. New York City, once a lively place of millions of people is now dead, gone, destroyed. My will to survive is greater than ever. I am determined to defeat  the dark essence. I am the last person on Earth.

© 2011 Joe Feely


Author's Note

Joe Feely
Have fun reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You start off strong, very descriptive!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amazing . . just WOW I love the adjectives used and the imagery is so intense I feel as I can see the story playing before my eyes. This is the perfect length and I was captivated from the beginning I especially love the ending and I encourage you to continue writing stories similar to this as this is actually perfect.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

332 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 4, 2011
Last Updated on March 4, 2011
Tags: dark, scary, cool, fiction, mysterious, city, world, earth, apocalypse, destruction, pain, adventure

Author

Joe Feely
Joe Feely

Portland, ME



About
If your interested just ask! more..

Writing
A Lost Mind A Lost Mind

A Story by Joe Feely