Chapter 1: Ambush

Chapter 1: Ambush

A Chapter by Otter
"

We get our first look at the little town of Rema, and of Walt's place in it.

"

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

                It was a very dark night. Not even the moon could pierce the veil of smoke and steam that hovered over the little town of Rema, but the foul skies didn't seem to affect the lone boy standing like some solitary statue at the edge of one of various rooftops. Shadows crept across his body as the lights of civilization twinkled from the streets and alleys below, and a cool breeze whistled past. It was a peaceful scene.

                The young man took a deep breath, seemingly impervious to the smog-filled air, and released it in a long sigh. He adjusted his attire; leather vest, worn boots, and the tattered strap of his backpack. Then, after reaching to grasp the pair of black leather goggles around his neck and pull them up over his bright blue eyes, he pushed off of the ledge. Wind whipped at his dark hair and leather vest, causing them to flap wildly as he fell. He closed his eyes against the feeling of freedom that swept over him, but the sensations weren't destined to last.

                His eyes shot open as the metallic surface of the next rooftop rushed towards him, and he tucked into himself suddenly. The sting on his palm told him that he'd met the surface. Instinctively, involuntarily, he pushed forward, shoulder colliding next as he rolled over himself, careful not to let his bag touch the roof. Before he really had time to think, the boy was up on his feet again, sprinting and jumping as he dodged anything that happened to be in his path. To him, this was as simple as breathing, even more so due to the fact that he'd taken this exact route so many times before.

                His routine was broken, however, as movement against his back caused his pace to falter slightly. He glanced over his shoulder as the front buttons of his backpack burst open, the flap flying up, and a white, furry body scrabbled through the opening. The thing, a small, white, canine-like creature, hung half in, half out of the bag, peering around in surprise as its enormous brown-tipped ears flapped in the wind. "Wh-what the heck is going on?!" It cried in a voice shrill with confusion as it dug tiny claws into the backpack, clinging on for dear life. The young man couldn't help but grin at the creatures surprise, not breaking pace once as he called back, "Going on a bread-run, Rue. Just get back in or hold on!" The last word was more forceful than the rest, as the boy pushed off the edge of another rooftop, this time vaulting out into open space.

                He felt the creature on his back dive into the bag as they fell, and just in time too. He hit the ground, or rather a large bale of hay, with a muffled thump, rolling off and pushing onward down the alley they had landed in. He swung around the corner and smiled to himself. The street ahead was practically empty, only a few people strolling by or standing at the shops on either side. So the wooden storefronts and jumbles of piping and other metallic contraptions whizzed by as his boots rapped against the cobblestone beneath his feet. The boy dodged past a rather large woman, nearly sending her tumbling into the wall in surprise. But he didn't stop.

                As he rounded another corner, his backpack rustled again, and the canine creature, Rue, poked his head out. He peered over the boy's shoulder, huge grey eyes wide. "B-But, Walt! We just made a run yesterday! What if Keene is waiting?!" His shrill voice pierced Walt's ear, causing him to grit his teeth against the sound. "Calm down!" Was his barked reply as he narrowly dodged another pedestrian, almost colliding with the person's cart. "We didn't get enough yesterday, remember? All we need is a couple more loaves. And besides, what do we have to worry about fat old Sheriff Keene?" Rue opened his mouth for a retort, but was interrupted as Walt jerked around another corner, forcing the little creature to cling to the bag.

                Rue didn't have another chance to argue, though. Just ahead, as he and Walt both saw, was the bakery, standing friendly and inviting with its old, ornately carved wooden face. And lo and behold, the baker had recently set some loaves out to cool. Warm light bathed the shelves where they sat, just outside the bakery door, and the glow turned the cobblestone street a golden hue as well. Something Walt took note of, however, was that the street was vacant, and this worried him more than anything that Rue was anxious over. In a spot of quick thinking, he swerved into a side alley, dust rising as he slid to a halt.

                This action took Rue completely by surprise. The little creature scrambled the rest of the way out of Walt's pack, springing up to stand on a stack of crates against the wall. The little creature's fluffy, brown-tipped tail thrashed irritably as he smoothed out his white pelt. "Finally! You listen to reason!" He cried, throwing his tiny brown paws in the air as he turned to glare down at his companion. "What were you even thinking? When would snatching bread two days in a row ever be a good idea?" But Walt wasn't listening. The young man moved slowly to the corner and peered into the street, leaving Rue to follow along the crates above, a slight whine in his voice as he questioned Walt. "What? What are you doing now?" The boy's hand flew up in a sign for silence, and he scanned the street. Still empty.

                "There's something wrong... No one's here." He whispered anxiously, but Rue didn't share his troubled attitude. The little canine simply rolled his eyes, breathing a sigh. "So?" Was all he said, and Walt glared up at him. "So, the bakery has always been one of the busiest spots in town." He looked back out in the direction of the bakery. "This street's never been completely vacant." The concern in his voice, caused Rue to role his eyes again. "Ok, maybe no one needed bread today. More for us then! Can we please just get this over with?" He practically growled the words, and Walt sighed. "Alright, alright!" He finally conceded as he held out his hand for Rue to climb on. The canine obliged, jumping down from the crates and landing neatly on Walt's arm before scampering up and over his shoulder. "Just get it done quickly." He grumbled as he slid into the backpack, making himself comfortable. With his face set grimly, Walt stepped back out onto the street.

                Nothing happened. He took a step towards the bakery. Still nothing. Reassured slightly, Walt took a deep breath and began walking toward the little shop. The street was unnervingly quiet, and the lack of familiarity that it left made Walt more worried than ever. The turmoil in his head distracted the rest of his senses, and he was just barely able to keep himself from running into the shelf of bread. He glanced around. Still no one on the street, and the bakery looked empty as well. "This definitely isn't right..." He said quietly, taking a step backwards. Then he heard a voice.

                "Smart boy." Walt spun around, coming face to face a with a fat bald-headed man he knew all too well. "Sheriff Keene." The Sheriff grinned beneath his black bowler hat, the buttons on his matching suit jacket straining as he reached his chubby arms into his pockets. "I have to say though, Walter, you've gotten bold. Two nights in a row?" He stepped closer. "Bold... but stupid." One tubby hand reached out and rested on Walt's shoulder, causing him to flinch slightly. The Sheriff let out a long sigh, patting Walt's shoulder roughly. "You really slipped up on this one, boy... and it cost you." He sounded almost sad, but Walt didn't speak. He just stared levelly at him. Seeing that he had nothing to say, Sheriff Keene continued. "I understand you, Walter. I really do. All you want is to help the other kids at the orphanage. I'm sure if I were in your place I'd do the same thing." He gave Walt's shoulder a squeeze. "But then someone would have to be in my place too." The hand clamped down harder, preventing any escape. "Cmon, son. Let's go."

                To Walt, the next few seconds were almost too fast to comprehend. No sooner had the words left Sheriff Keene's mouth than there was a sudden jerk against Walt's back. He felt tiny claws dig into the shoulder of his shirt as Rue launched himself out of the backpack and latched his teeth into the Sheriff's hand. Keene gave a wild howl and jerked his hand back with Rue clamped firmly to it. He swung his arm to the side, and Rue was sent flying into a nearby shelf. The little canine flopped to the floor with a yelp. Then the room was filled with other lawmen.

                Walt didn't have time to count them before he dove, scooping up Rue from the floor and turning toward the street. He dodged past Sheriff Keene, who stood grasping his injured hand, and snatched a loaf of bread off of a shelf before rushing outside. When they reached the street, Walt turned in the direction of home and sprinted away from the mayhem. But before he had gone even a few feet, one of the officers leapt into his path, trying to stop him. Walt didn't stop. He barreled straight into the man, sending him flying into a nearby scaffold. The mass of wood and iron crumpled down on the man, but Walt still didn't even hesitate.

                He just ran.



© 2011 Otter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Damn Otter, this is good. Really good. Really dude, keep it up, this is brilliant! I'll read chapter two later... Seriously though, this is really really good! It's hard to overstate my--no, dontreferenceportaldontreferenceportaldon--nevermind.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great stuff. keep it up

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on February 14, 2011
Tags: Walt, Rue, Arcovian, steampunk, Rema, Agresha, police, lawmen, Sheriff Keene, Sheriff, bread, bakery, parkour, freerunning


Author

Otter
Otter

Cumming, GA



About
Nothing special. I'm a high school student who like reading and writing. more..

Writing