Amenti

Amenti

A Poem by Johari

Double dealt death, through chisel-strikes

to ensure the Field of Reeds is ever denied.

But memory is more lasting than records of stone -

or the appetite of Ammut.

Bubbling through the blood, into hearts and onto lips;  

it is a link that can not be severed by human hands.


Ma'at's kiss sits in gold and lapis upon the heart as it shines. 

 

And it shines.

 

 

 

© 2014 Johari


Author's Note

Johari
Often, the most well know characters of ancient Egypt were never intended to be remembered. While their peers made every effort to obliterate any memory or record (effectively denying them immortality), they have ended up shining the bright of all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the concept and the presentation of this one. What better setting to explore the nature of memory than ancient Egypt, where immortality was made an art?

Posted 2 Years Ago


isn't it crazy how people that lived so long ago can be immortalized by words, just as you say, more so by memories than stone. We know the stories and folk lore that has been handed down along the centuries and so we can make an educated guess as to whos tomb this is or who that statue must be. A very talented and intellectual write. I enjoyed, when I have more time I have to visit your stories!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Egypt and immortality. Fastrack to today. Fifteen minutes of fame on Jeremy Kyle. Makes you wonder.

Posted 7 Years Ago


In spite of Jack Lennox, you're still shining, Johari. Lovely poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very interesting, I can only wish it was longer!

Posted 9 Years Ago


As always, the artist is passionate about the subject and delivers the material with style. Pacing, word-choice, and message are all top notch. Thanks, Johari! It's always useful to have a bard in the party!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Johari

9 Years Ago

Interesting choice of word as I have actually just started the OBOD Bard level course. Thanks for ye.. read more
Indeed the power of the discourse, tales passed on by word of mouth, has spawned many a legend and kept culture alive. Often without historical validation though and subjected to chinese whispers. A very well crafted piece telling the tale again. I am guessing you are into Egyptian history?

Posted 9 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Johari

9 Years Ago


To be honest, I'm into all sorts of ancient history though yes, the ancient Egyptians are a b.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 21, 2014
Last Updated on December 25, 2014

Author

Johari
Johari

Norfolk, United Kingdom



About
East Anglian author Tasha O’Neill has been tinkering around with words since childhood and writes short stories, novels, non-fiction and poetry. She has an enduring love of folklore and fairy.. more..

Writing
Greeneholt Greeneholt

A Story by Johari


Santa Corp. Santa Corp.

A Story by Johari