"Catch of the Day"

"Catch of the Day"

A Story by Jack Buckner
"

After a dead body floats ashore, local drunk Terry gets accused. But did he really do it?

"

“Catch of the Day”

By John Smith

 

            Terry Miller reached down beside is lawn chair grabbing his can of beer and taking a sip. He set it back down and grabbed a fishing poll along with rubber bait. He put the bait on the hook and cast the line in the water. Terry was in his mid fifty’s and had a quite large beer gut. He had a baldhead and not the best reputation in the tow. In fact, he was known as the town drunk. Terry sat there in silence for a moment waiting for something to bite. Nothing ever did.

            “S**t!” He said as he reeled in the line the line it. “What the f**k is going on? I haven’t had a single Goddamn bite all f*****g day!” Terry said taking another sip of his beer. He looked out to the lake as he noticed that something began to surface. “What the f**k?” Terry said as he sat down the fishing poll and stood up from his chair and got closer to shore. As it grew closer and closer to shore he realized what it was. It was a body. “Holy s**t!” Terry said leaping back and tripping over his lawn chair. He picked himself up off of the ground and ran into the woods to the highway. Just then a country deputy was driving by.

            “Stop! Stop! Please! Police!” Terry shouted waving his arms at the officer. The deputy pulled his car off of the highway and parked in a gravel pit. The officer slammed the patrol car in park and stepped out of it.

            “What the hell do you want Terry?” The officer asked him.

            “Officer Paisley! Thank God it’s you. I never thought I would say that! But there is a dead body in the lake!” Terry said now out of breath. Officer Paisley looked at him with amusement.

            “Are you out of your f*****g mind? Have you been drinking?” Officer Paisley asked him. Terry looked at him offended and pointed through the bushes to the lake. Officer Paisley nodded and led the way to the lake. There it was. The body of Raymond Swift.

            “Holy s**t!” Officer Paisley shouted as he quickly grabbed his CB radio from the side of his belt. “This is Officer Paisley! Repeat this is Officer Paisley! We have a code red situation! A dead body found in Warner Lake.” He said into his CB radio. He clipped it back to the right side of his belt and walked over to investigate to body. He reached into his shirt pocket pulling out a pair of latex gloves. He put them on and reached down grabbing the body. He examined the body for a moment noticing that this couldn’t have been a mere accident. He didn’t just fall in the water and drown. He had two bullet holes in his abdomen. He was murdered.

            But why? Why was he murdered? Raymond was never one to hurt anybody. In fact, it was often said that he wouldn’t hurt a fly. And this was absolutely true. Raymond was loved through the town. Nobody had any ill feelings towards him. So why would somebody do this to him? Why indeed!

            When the help first arrived, Officer Paisley knew something was wrong right from the start. There was someone missing. Officer Gilbert wasn’t there. Gilbert was the chief of police and he absolutely loved crime cases. There was no way he would just not show up. Something had to be horribly wrong. Horribly wrong. Officer Paisley walked over to Lt. Ramsey. Ramsey was second in command to Sgt. Gilbert. If anybody knew if something was wrong it would be him.

            “Hey Lt. Ramsey. I can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong here. Where the hell is Sgt. Gilbert?” He asked him.

            “I don’t know. I haven’t seen him since he left the office last night. He said that he wouldn’t be in today. He said he had loose ends to tie up.” Ramsey said as he began to scribble in his notebook. Paisley looked at him confused and turned his back to him.

            “Something just doesn’t add up here. Why would someone kill Raymond?” Paisley asked himself. He looked over to Ramsey who was locking Terry in handcuffs and reading him his rights. Paisley walked up to Ramsey and grabbed him by the shoulder.

            “Hey, what the hell are you doing?” Paisley asked.

            “Taking him in. He’s under arrest for the murder of Raymond.” Lt. Ramsey said.

            “What proof do you have?” Paisley asked him.

            “He was the only one here when the man in question was found.” Ramsey said.

            “So. He came out flagging me down nearly scared to death when he found the body. If he did it then why would he tell on himself?” Paisley asked Ramsey feeling quite cleaver. Ramsey looked down at Paisley feeling quite annoyed.

            “Look. I just want to get home all right? He’s guilty! Period!” Ramsey said as he grabbed Terry by the arms and shoved him into his patrol car. He knew something wasn’t right. It just didn’t feel right to just accept that Terry committed the crime. He needed to know for sure. He walked to his car and got in it. Paisley started it and drove off.

            ‘I got to go to the station. Maybe I can find some answers there.’ Paisley thought to himself as he drove to the station.

            When he got there, he parked the patrol car and walked into the back door of the station. He noticed something odd. Ramsey said that Gilbert would not be in at all today. But he noticed a small light coming from his office. He walked over to his office door and knocked on it.

            “Hello? Sgt. Gilbert?” He shouted knocking on the door. It sounded as if something fell and shattered on the floor. He grabbed the gun from his belt and threw himself against the door busting the door in. “Fre…” Paisley began to shout. But what he saw froze him with terror. At the desk sat Sgt. Gilbert with a bullet hole in his head and blood gushing out. Beside of him on top of the desk sat the severed head of Terry and Terry’s decapitated body lied on the floor next to him.

            “Ohh. You were close! You were really close.” A man said from the shadows on the couch. The man pulled out a gun and shot Paisley in the hand making him drop his gun. The man then stepped out of the shadows. It was Lt. Ramsey. “Close, but no cigar!” He said to Paisley with a wicked smile.

            “Why? Why did you do it?” Paisley asked him grabbing his hand with pain. Ramsey just stood up and walked over to him pointing a gun to his head.

            “You know I’m a sucker for crime stories. That’s why I joined the force. I guess I just wanted to create one of my own. He smiled with a sick smile and pulled the trigger.


Copyright 2013 by John Smith

Courtesy of The True Crime Press

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=CW3G-6UBH-C0YR-NLEX" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

CW3G-6UBH-C0YR-NLEX" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Jack Buckner


Author's Note

Jack Buckner
Please leave comments and reviews.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well though out plot twist but I feel like it happened a bit too quickly, sorta like getting slapped in the arm. Other than that great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
I really liked the story; although, I thought the plot developed really slow at first and had a lot of detail then it kind of went to the other end of the spectrum. I think you could also maybe go into a little more detail on Ramsey. I felt like you sprung the villain on me before I even knew he was an important character. Overall, It was well written with few grammar errors. I really enjoyed the story. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


that guy ramsey is really sick. i really enjoyed the read. nice work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

-CW
well done!! Really creepy!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Ok kid, I loved you mentioned beer within the first sentence and you swore a lot, it adds to the people. Nice twist at the end, a sick cop indeed. Good write kid.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Damn fine write John.Excellent

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you Bob!
A wonderful story full of suspense and intrigue. I really enjoyed the crime series and others...Bravo ...:)..........

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sami!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:)...............
Interesting. Umm, I couldn't get past the title - the original title to the story on which Stephen King's "Stand by Me" is based. Putting that out of my head the story itself is solid.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

How about "Catch of the Day?"
Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

I like that. Consider it done.
Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Glad to help. Return the favour and read some of mine. Thanks.
Exciting read although it wasn't the longest story, the characters seemed very realistic, and I liked the reveal at the end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

490 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013
Tags: Mystery, crime, thriller, drama, suspense, horror, John Smith