"The Titanium Man"

"The Titanium Man"

A Story by Jack Buckner

“The Titanium Man”

By John Smith

 

1.

“Damn it!” Ben Jack said as his cell phone began ringing inside the pocket of his gray dress pants. He reached over and unbuckled his seat belt sliding it to his side. He reached into the pocket on his left side and pulled out the sell phone and answered it.

“Hello?” He asked speaking into the speaker.

“Hey honey I forgot to tell you about the cell phone bill…” His wife, Hillary, began talking on the other end of the line.

“Hey honey! Listen, can I call you back? I’m kind of busy at the moment driving on a ten lane highway!” Ben said to his wife in an aggravated tone. He shuffled the phone to the other hand while trying not to lose control of his brand new Ford Mustang.

“Yeah we can talk about it later…” His wife continued talking away into the speaker driving Ben insane. The wind began picking up as the clouds grew a darker and darker gray color. Rain began poring down on the car making driving much more difficult.

“S**t!” Ben screamed. “Listen honey, I have to go!” Ben said imminently hanging up the phone. He could feel the rear tires began to hydroplane as the speed slowly increased. Finally the rear wheels spun the car around. “Holy S**t!” Ben screamed as the car drove head first into the silver guardrails. It busted its way through the guardrails and off of the road. The car flipped five times before finally coming to rest on a rock. Ben looked over to his side where he noticed that both his left and right legs were bent sticking up in the air next to his head. As blood began rushing out of his nose his head fell hitting the steering wheel. He was uncurious.

 

2

            The next thing Ben remembered was the sun peaking through the blinds in the hospital room. He reached his arm up and shelled the light of the sun. The doctor rushed in the room and over to Ben’s bedside. The doctor was wearing the usual doctor’s gown with DR. REYNOLDS reading over the heart in a black cursive font.

            “Are you okay Mr. Jack? Do you know where you are? Do you even remember anything?” Dr. Reynolds asked him. Ben sat up in his bed and looked at the doctor.

            “Look, can you go shut those damn blinds and I’ll try to remember.” Ben told him. The nurse ran over next to the window and closed the blinds. Ben paused for several moments and then began to shake his head. But he did notice that he had an unusual gray beard on his face.

            “Do you even know what year it is?” Dr. Reynolds asked him. Ben shook his head again and placed his right hand over his head.

            “The year is 2031. Your accident took place in the year 2013. Do you even remember any thing about the accident?” Dr. Reynolds asked. Ben thought long and hard and shook his head no again.

            “Accident? What accident? Tell me what the hell is going on?” Ben shouted. The doctor looked at him and smiled.

            “In 2013, you were in a horrible accident. You drove your car off the road, through the guardrails, and flapped over several times before finally crashing into a tree. Ben, you died.” Dr. Reynolds informed him.

            “If I died, how am I here? Who the hell are you and what the f**k happened?” Ben shouted at the doctor. Dr. Reynolds sat down on his rolling stool and rolled himself over to Ben’s bedside.

            “New technology has serviced since you…slipped away. After you died, I just discovered how to save you. So I rescued your body from the merge and kept you alive until you woke up.” Dr. Reynolds said.

            “What do you mean by new technology?” he asked him.

            “I mean f*****g raising the dead! I did the impossible. I did an operation on you that not only saved your life, but enhanced it.” Dr. Reynolds said proudly.

            “What did you do to me?” He asked the doctor. Dr. Reynolds began to laugh.

            “I rebuilt you entirely. Out of 100 percent titanium.” Dr. Reynolds said.

            “You mean, I’m a machine?” Ben asked him.

            “No. You are still a man, but an improved one.” Dr. Reynolds told him. Ben stood up from his bed and walked over to the closet across the room. He opened the closet door. In the closet laid a pair of blue jeans and a tan colored polo shirt. He got them out and put them on. He stood up from the bed and walked out of the room.

            “Wait! Hey! Where the hell are you going? Ben!” Dr. Reynolds shouted loudly. Ben continued walking. He walked down the flight of stairs and out the front exit. He had no car so he just decided to walk. The truth is he wanted to know how his new robot body would hold up.

            Ben ran his entire way home. Faster than he ever did in his life topping out at just under 25 mph. When he finally reached his house he noticed something strange. It was no longer his house. Someone else has moved in. He looked down at a newspaper on the ground filled with the horrific futuristic news. He picked it up and began reading. It read:

China owns USA

The United States Government has shut down for the third time in the last few years. China has taken over the United States! The USA is now a Chinese colony.

 

            The newspaper was enough to sent chills up his spine. He was ashamed to be a US citizen. Ben dropped the newspaper and grabbed his head in pain. It was the worst headache he had ever felt. He fell to the ground and began to weep.

 

3

            Dr. Reynolds locked over to his clock now reading 12:03 am. He stood up from his desk and began walked over to his office door. He opened it, turned off the lights, and walked out. He looked over to a chair in the waiting room. There sat Ben Jack. Ben cocked a magnum and began to hold it up.

            “What the hell have you done to me you sick son of a b***h? Why did you bring me back?” Ben asked him. Sweat began to roll down his face. He slowly began to walk towards Ben.

            “Now just calm down Ben! Okay? But the gun down!” Dr. Reynolds said to him. “I figured that you wanted to come back,” He continued.

            “Don’t give me that bullshit! That’s not why you did this! You did this for your own sick agenda! Why couldn’t you just let me die in peace? Why couldn’t you just let me rest? Why would you want to bring me back? Especially in this Goddamn world we are now? Huh?” Ben shouted. “And what did you do to me? The titanium isn’t just what you did to me is it? What the hell did you do to my head?” Ben asked as he clinched in pain and cupped his head in his hand.

            “Yes…I…I enhanced it. You no longer have a brain, it’s a computer.” Dr. Reynolds confirmed in fright. Ben looked up at him and then screamed out in pain.

            “Well dip s**t, I think it’s overloading!” Ben said to him in a smart a*s way.

            “Take it easy Ben! I can help!” Dr. Reynolds said putting his arms out.

            “Help? I think you’ve helped enough! Believe me though, I’ll be doing you a favor!” Ben said. He pulled the trigger of the magnum firing into the head of Dr. Reynolds. He fell to his knees and collapsed on the floor. He was dead. Ben grabbed his head and in pains once more and held the barrel of the magnum to his head.

            “Please God! Forgive me! Just let me rest!” Ben said. He pulled the trigger once more splattering the remains of his brain and computer parts all over the wall. The magnum fell to the ground and so did his lifeless body…or what was left of his body anyway.


Copyright 2013 by John Smith

Courtesy of The Enchanted Press

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=UOWP-OW62-JDQ1-GOYM" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

UOWP-OW62-JDQ1-GOYM" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Jack Buckner


Author's Note

Jack Buckner
Please leave comments! I hope you enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found the idea rather chilling, it was like a hellish version of the million dollar man. :) I agree with the other reviews on here and noticed a few errors. 'sell phone' right at the beginning was a funny one. I think you may need to change them as it takes away from the escapism of the piece. I enjoyed the story but I too would like a bit more about why etc. Great stuff.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!



Reviews

It went very fast. I know you were trying to move it along, but the doctor wouldn't have just spilled out the information in quite that manner...it almost seemed forced. News that someone was asleep that long and time had moved on like that would have been introduced with a great deal more tact. However, that said...I think it is very readable and grabs and holds your attention. Check the small details, though...I think I saw some words misspelled...like "sell phone" instead of cell phone....and "conrious" instead of conscious. otherwise....really really good.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh, my!!!!!!!!!!
Technology run amuck!!!!

Let us hope this dismal prophecy is just fiction........

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Angel!
I found the idea rather chilling, it was like a hellish version of the million dollar man. :) I agree with the other reviews on here and noticed a few errors. 'sell phone' right at the beginning was a funny one. I think you may need to change them as it takes away from the escapism of the piece. I enjoyed the story but I too would like a bit more about why etc. Great stuff.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!
Even though I think a bit of auto-correct got you, this is a great piece. Reminded me somewhat, of the movie, "Forever Young", with Mel Gibson. This brings the one of my most dizzying nightmares to life. Thanks for the read!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thanks for tanking the time to read it Jay!
Cody directed me to this story, and I apologize to both of you for not being more expedient in my response. Anyway, it is an interesting premise, but you DEFINITELY need more 'show' as opposed to 'tell'. Two parts in particular stand out. First, immediately introducing the character as "Ben Jack" is far too early. Let us figure out his last name after he is found, and because of his name involving two English first names, I initially thought it was a rather confusing typo. Secondly, the newspaper headline just isn't subtle enough, and it makes it less believable. Give the reader reason to doubt and unleash sudden expletives. What if the paper is in both Chinese and English script? Or, simply a dictation of surrender. Either way, it needs to be less obvious. If we already know the outcome, it kills the motive for the reader to go further. I can relate. It's a crippling flaw in my own work, as well as numerous others. Lastly, watch repetitive language. If you can connect the same word within two digits of your pinky finger on the page, they are too close together and probably sound repetitive; read the part in question aloud to see if it sounds natural. Obviously, this won't work for everyone, but it does work with majority of the writers I've done work with.

Regardless, potential lies here. Dystopia is a common theme in this day and age, and we definitely share an interest in that. Give my regards to Cody.

-M.L. Zane

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. L. Zane

10 Years Ago

I'm always happy to help. By the way, would you mind reading and commenting on one of my stories? I'.. read more
Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

I wouldn't mind at all. I'll get to it asap!
M. L. Zane

10 Years Ago

Greatly appreciated. :)
Hi. This was an interesting piece. I felt like there were some gaps in the story, like why was Ben chosen, or maybe is me trying to dig too deep. Other than that, I enjoyed this story.

I noticed at the end of part 1 you wrote uncurious but I think you meant unconscious and at the beginning of part 3 you wrote locked but I think you meant looked.

Hope my review helps!



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
Hmm definitely an interesting future tale. I like the style of it though I would have liked a little bit more detail as to what else had happened during the time between Ben's death and waking up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
Frightening vision of what the future hopefully doesn't hold!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
Interesting as always. I noticed "sell" phone and "flapped" instead of flipped.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack Buckner

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing KL!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1187 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 29, 2013
Last Updated on December 29, 2013
Tags: science fiction, dystopian, alternative history, John Smith