"The TV People"

"The TV People"

A Story by Jack Buckner

“The TV People”

By John Smith

 

1.

Timmy Stone lay on the floor of the living room in his blue Spiderman pajamas with his feet in the air staring at the television screen in front of him. It was half past eight o’clock and he was watching his favorite Monday night television program WWE Monday Night RAW. Timmy gazed with amazement as Randy Orton suplexed Dolph Ziggler from the top rope and onto the mat.

            “Timmy, its time for you to go brush your teeth and get settled in for the night!” Marian, his mother yelled from the kitchen.

            “Come on Mom! Give me five more minutes!” Timmy pleaded.

            “You said that then minutes ago! Now go brush your teeth and get to bed. It’s a school night!” She shouted again.

            “Please mom! Please!” Timmy pleaded again. His mom stepped into the living room with her hands on her hips glaring at him.

            “No! Get to bed now!” She said as she pointed towards the stairs. Timmy sighed and pushed himself up off the floor and pressed the red power button at the base of the television and watched as the screen went blank. Timmy looked over to his mom who once again pointed towards the stairs. He sighed and turned his back to the television and started to make his way up the stairs.

            “Your dad and I will be up in a few minutes to tuck you in for the night.” His mom said.

            “Okay mom.” Timmy said disappointed as he continued to walk up the stairs.

            After he finished brushing his teeth, Timmy wiped off his mouth with the hand towel that was beside the sink and then walked into his bedroom where he was met with his mother and his father, Davey.

            “Are you ready for bed buddy?” His father asked. Timmy walked over to his bed and got beneath the covers.

            “Why can’t I stay up later? I only get to see a half an hour of wrestling!” Timmy complained to his parents.

            “Because a growing boy needs his sleep! Your dad is taping it for you!” His moth assured him. Timmy nodded and pulled the covers up over him and lay down in bed.

            “Sweet dreams honey.” Timmy’s mother said as she reached up and turned the bedroom light off and stepped out into the hallway. Timmy let out a yawn, closed his eyes, and drifted off to sleep.

 

2.

“Timmy! We’re here for you Timmy!” A voice said. Timmy opened his eyes quickly and sat up in bed.

            “Hello? Mom?” Timmy called out.

            “Timmy! Come down here Timmy!” The voice called out to him.

            “Down where?” Timmy asked.

            “Down stairs silly! In front of the television screen.” The voice said. Timmy wiped the eye boogers from his eyes and looked at the digital clock on the nightstand beside his bed.

            10:09 it said. Timmy pushed the covers off of his body and turned to place his feet on the hardwood floor.

            “That’s right Timmy! Come on!” The voice said as Timmy walked out of his bedroom, down the hallway, and down the stairs into the living room of their home. Timmy’s dad could since that someone was there and turned around to face Timmy at the bottom of the staircase.

            “Son? What are you doing up this time of night?” Timmy’s dad asked him. Timmy gave no answer and just stared at the TV screen. “Timmy? What are you looking at sport?” He asked him. Timmy gave no answer. He just continued to stare at the TV screen. Timmy’s dad turned around to see what was so interesting. The wrestling match that had once been on the screen was gone and the screen was covered with he rainbow colors that a television will sometimes get on certain channels with no signal. “What the hell?” He said as he stood from the chair and walked over to the television screen. He reached out to touch it.

            “I wouldn’t do that if I were you!” Timmy said with his eyes still fixated on the TV screen. Timmy’s dad pulled away and looked at his son.

            “And why is that?” He asked him.

            “Because they’ll get you!” Timmy answered with little hesitation.

            “And who is they Tim?” Timmy’s dad asked as he knelt down.

            “The TV people! They are here! And here to stay!” Timmy said as a slight grin arose on his face.

            “Who are the TV people Tim? Where did they come from?” Timmy’s dad asked him.

            “They were always here! They were just waiting for the right time to come out! The time has come!” He said to his father as drool began to pour from his mouth. Timmy’s dad looked over to his mom. He could tell that she was worried. She stood up from her chair and walked over to him. She grabbed him and shook him.

            “Timmy! Stop this nonsense this moment! Get back to bed now!” She shouted. Timmy’s dad just sat there and waited to see if and how Timmy would respond.

            “I can’t do that! They’re calling for me! I need to be with the TV People!” Timmy said. He pushed his mother aside and started to make his way towards the television.

            “Hold on there sport!” Timmy’s dad said as he intercepted him and picked him up. “Where do you think you are going?” He asked.

            “I have to go with them daddy! I have to go with the TV People! They’re waiting for me!” Timmy said as he reached, placed his father’s ear in his mouth, and ripped it from his skull. Timmy’s dad screamed and dropped his son to the ground and grabbed where his ear used to be.

            “Timmy! What the hell has gotten into you?” Timmy’s dad shouted. Timmy pushed him to the side and stood in front of the TV screen.

            “Go ahead Timmy! Touch it!” Timmy heard the voice. He smiled, reached out, and placed his palms on the screen of the television. The screen lit up with a bright white color. Timmy’s eyes rolled into the back of his head and his body began to shake and spasm all over. Slobber began to pour from his mouth and his short blonde hair started to stand up on its own. After a few seconds, the TV screen went blank and Timmy fell to the floor. Timmy’s dad ran over to him and began to shake him.

            “Timmy! Timmy!” There was no answer. He reached down and grabbed his son by the wrist to check his pulse. There was none. “He’s dead!” Timmy’s dad said as tears began to roll down his face. “He had gone with the TV people!” He concluded as he and his wife cried out in despair.


Copyright 2014 by John Smith

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

© 2014 Jack Buckner


Author's Note

Jack Buckner
It has been a while. I hope you all like this. Thank you so much for visiting.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a tough read. I struggle with kids losing their lives - in any type of story. Loved the remake of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp, right up until the little boy was dragged from the cellar - so that 's my bias. But the story itself - for impact packs a real whollop and is technically well crafted. You got me with this one. Definitely creeped out. There are monsters in the TV. I know it now.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this one TL!



Reviews

I know it holds little weight to be called a modern storyteller.
A fact that icily breaks my heart, but you sir are just that.
Technically well crafted, difficult to read in it's poignant concept, captivating.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the kind words.
a tough read. I struggle with kids losing their lives - in any type of story. Loved the remake of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp, right up until the little boy was dragged from the cellar - so that 's my bias. But the story itself - for impact packs a real whollop and is technically well crafted. You got me with this one. Definitely creeped out. There are monsters in the TV. I know it now.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this one TL!
Wow. This was intense and creative. The ending was sad though. I like the idea of TV people controlling minds and hearts of children. Excellent...:).......

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Why thank you very much Sami for the review!
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)......

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

520 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 16, 2014
Tags: horror, science fiction, thriller, suspense, ghosts, TV, short story, literature, prose, John Smith