"Get Down"

"Get Down"

A Story by Jack Buckner
"

A short story collaboration between John Smith and Cody Williams.

"

“Get Down”

By John Smith & Cody Williams

 

1.

It all started one morning when I was in the basement of my parent’s home just outside Oakland, Tennessee. My friend Eddie and myself were sitting on the fold out couch in front of a small Sony television screen playing the latest Grand Theft Auto on the PlayStation 3. I was 22 at the time and had just dropped out of college as an English major. I was living in my parent’s basement until I rose up enough money at that damn plumbing job my dad got me to move out and get my own place.

            Eddie wasn’t much better. He was a few months younger than me and had not yet turned 22. He lived with his parents as well, but mostly hung out in my room to get out of the same house as his bitchy mother who insisted on lecturing him on how his older sister, Emily, grew up and got a fantastic job as a lawyer for a law firm in New York City.

            It’s probably a good thing too. Whenever Emily did live with Eddie, he always had to worry about some of the neighborhood boys making a move on her. I never told Eddie, but I had gotten in on some of that action. A couple of years ago, Eddie and Emily’s dad caught us making out (among other things) on the dusty green couch that they had stored in the garage. I didn’t see her much after that. Luther, their dad, practically threatened me with my life if I ever tried to take another step towards her.

            “You keep the hell away from my daughter! You hear me? I’ll have your f****n’ balls for breakfast! And I’ll cut off your a*s and hang it over the mantle of my fire place!” He shouted at me as I ran down the street trying to pull up my jeans from around my ankles and trying to buckle the belt back up.

            I often times regard her as “the one that got away”. We didn’t know each other too awfully long, but I can tell you that she was damn good at giving head.

 

2.

It was later that day that Jimmy him came down into the basement…I mean, my room. People around the neighborhood tagged him with the name Jimmy the Dish Rag. Jim liked to believe that it was his “gangster name” but in reality I believe they gave him that tag to make fun of him in their own special way. Jimmy had always been a gangster wannabe.

            “Dude, you gotta check out what I got man!” Jimmy told me as he rushed over to the couch that I was sitting on. I paused the game and looked up at him.

            “Alright Jimmy the Dish Rag, what do you got now?” I asked as I looked up at him.

            “Yeah! It better be good! I was about to jack that old woman’s Camry!” Eddie added. Jimmy was wearing a crooked smile with his usual all black attire. His hair was black and was combed back and looked as if it was coated in hair paste. Jimmy let out a slight laugh and he reached into the inside pocket of his black leather jacket and pulled out 99 millimeter gun.

            “Check it!” He said as he handed it over to me.

            “Jesus Crist Jim! What the f**k do you plan to do with this s**t?” I asked as I grabbed it. I put my hand over the trigger and pointed it at the television screen.

            “It’s okay! It’s not loaded!” He assured me. Eddie quickly grabbed it from me and began to play with it. He pretended that he was shooting the old lady that was shown on the paused TV screen.

            “Wow man! This is pretty nifty! But uh…what do you plan to do with it?” Eddie asked.

            “I took it from my old man’s liquor cabinet. I’ve had my eye on the Oakland Bank for a while now.” He said. Eddie put down the gun and the two of us both looked at him.

            “What?” I asked him as if I didn’t hear what he already said.

            “Yeah! We’re going to rob it! And if you want in, you two better hurry the f**k up! We got to get a move on!” Jimmy said to the two of us. Eddie and I looked at each other for a moment.

            “Are you f*****g kidding? We can’t rob a f*****g bank!” I told him.

            “Yeah! What the hell would my mom say if we get locked up in the clink?” Eddie asked.

            “I refuse to even let that thought enter my mind! Now come on! We got to get a move on!” Jimmy insisted. He reached back into his coat pocket and pulled out a couple more 99-millimeter guns and handed one to me and kept one for himself.

            “But wait, we can’t do this! We don’t even have masks!” I pointed out. Jimmy laughed and reached behind him for a paper brown bag. He reached into the bag and pulled out three black ski masks.

            “I got it covered guys! Now come one! We got to go!” He said to us. Eddie and I looked at each other once more and then stood and followed him up the stairs and out the door.

 

3.

When we stepped out of the house we looked at a car that was absolutely beautiful plain black Cadillac with dark tinted windows.

            “What the f**k Jimmy? Where the hell did you get the sweet ride?” I asked him as I gently rubbed my hand against the surface of it.

            “Kelly’s Car Lot. I stole it this mornin’! They weren’t in for some reason!” He answered as he walked passed me and over to the driver side door and opened. “Come on now! Pull the anchors out of your bloomers and hop in! Come on! It’s almost show time!” He said. Eddie and I looked at each other again.

            “I call shotgun!” I said as I smiled.

            “Aww damn it! I never get to call shotgun!” Eddie said.

            “Alright, we’ll flip for it!” I said as I reached into the pocket of my blue jeans and grabbed a quarter out of it. “Heads I win, tails you lose!”

            “Alright then!” I flipped the quarter and it landed on heads. “Damn it! I never in anything!” Eddie said as he walked passed me and got into the back seat of the car and slammed the door shut as he folded his arms and looked at me angrily. I too stepped into the front seat of the car.

            “Alright ladies! It’s go time!” Jimmy said as he started the car and backed out of the driveway and into the road.

 

4.

“GET DOWN!” That’s what we planned to yell whenever we first set foot inside the bank. The only parking spot anywhere near the damn bank was half a block away. Jimmy pulled the car into that parking spot and looked over at us.

            “Alright guys! It’s show time!” He said as the driver side door swung open and all three of us got out of the car. We kept the masks in our pockets not wanting to be noticed to much as we walked down the street towards the bank. The roads were unusually not that crowded as we began to make our way towards the bank. Once we got about twenty feet away from the bank Jimmy stopped and turned around to look at us.

            “Okay fellas! This is it! Put the masks on!” He said. All three of us reached into our coat pockets and put on the plain black ski masks and then turned our attention back to the task at hand. Jimmy reached out and grabbed the handle of the front door of the church and pulled it but it wouldn’t open.

            “What the f**k?” Jimmy said. He put his face on the glass and cupped his hands around his eyes so he could see inside. “There’s nobody f*****g in there! What the hell is going on?” Jimmy shouted.

            “Yeah! What the hell is going on? What kind of bank is not open on a Sunday afternoon?” Eddie said as he too put his face on the window.

            “It’s Sunday? That means the Goddamn bank is closed!” I shouted as I looked at Jimmy. I stared at him angrily for a moment until I began to hear someone yelling.

            “Freeze!”

            “Stop right there!” I turned around to see two cops across the street running towards us.

            “Jesus!” We all three shouted in unison as we all dropped our guns and ran away.

            We never did get to yell “GET DOWN” as Jimmy had always dreamed of doing when he showed everyone in town how bad a*s he was when he robbed a bank. No. Instead, we became the losers that tried and rob the bank on a f*****g Sunday afternoon, and worse, got caught and arrested for it.


Copyright 2014 by John Smith and Cody Williams

Courtesy of SIMPLY COMPLICATED PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=T6CE-LSOL-AY2R-LZHQ" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

T6CE-LSOL-AY2R-LZHQ" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2014 Jack Buckner


Author's Note

Jack Buckner
John Smith: This is a bit strange for me. I have never collaborated on anything before. This one was fun. I hope you all like it.

Cody Williams: This one was a lot of fun to work on and was a little bit different. I had a blast working with John and would love to do it again in the future. Thanks for reading! Comments and reviews are welcome as always!

The story was somewhat inspired by a Nickelback song. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFx5O6wylbU

Check out Cody's profile for some of his writing. Here is a link:
http://www.writerscafe.org/Cody_Williams

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Still laughing out loud. Great writing, I loved it; very believable, descriptions wonderful, flow great, plot, and characters flawed and likeable, in that back robber way....reminded me of some guys I knew in my youth, that could just never get it right and loved the ending. Dialogue made me laugh out loud, visualizing, these naive idiots. And I love Nicklelback, will come back later for the link. Thank you so much John. Look forward to reading more of your work. Great collaboration. Loved it; thank you. Dale

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

I'm delighted that you liked this! Thank you for the kind review!
Confuser

9 Years Ago

It was fun - great collaboration. You are welcome!



Reviews

This was actually somewhat comical to me (if it wasn't meant to be I apologize) but it was a wonderful read nonetheless.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind review. Yes, it was supposed to be comical.
Keep up the good work guys. Enjoyed your story very much.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Jessie!
Still laughing out loud. Great writing, I loved it; very believable, descriptions wonderful, flow great, plot, and characters flawed and likeable, in that back robber way....reminded me of some guys I knew in my youth, that could just never get it right and loved the ending. Dialogue made me laugh out loud, visualizing, these naive idiots. And I love Nicklelback, will come back later for the link. Thank you so much John. Look forward to reading more of your work. Great collaboration. Loved it; thank you. Dale

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

I'm delighted that you liked this! Thank you for the kind review!
Confuser

9 Years Ago

It was fun - great collaboration. You are welcome!
HAHA this was a really funny story!!! Good job guys :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed this!
He who fails to plan should plan to fail. What bozos! Interesting tale, well done you two.
It needs some editing and clean up, but believable.

"pulled out 99 millimeter gun." Holy crap, that is going to leave a massive entry wound, and an exit wound like nobody has ever seen, seeing as how it is 11 times bigger than a 9 mm round! ; )

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nice job, well worked with lots of slap stick and fine details..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow. Sex in basements, robbing banks and then being losers...Lol
A wonderful collaboration. But both are winner writers...:)...............

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)......................
Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome muchly...:)..........................
read and loved it! keep up the good work!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
These guys are like dumb and dumber and dumberer lol.

I havent heard the Nickleback song but the story reminded me of 'Welcome to Collinwood' - hapless blundering pseudo-bank robbers - what can go wrong did go wrong.

I enjoyed this one Cody and John. some of the dialogue made me lol - "what will my mom say if we get locked up..." classic - sounds like something Stan Laurel would say.

Good collab - well done guys

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thanks you so much Anto!
Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the kind review!
Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Anto!

-CW

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

668 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 28, 2014
Tags: humor, crime, fiction, short story, prose, comedy, gang, literature, literary fiction, Cody Williams, John Smith


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snow Fairy Snow Fairy

A Chapter by Matching Socks


Expression Expression

A Poem by Ana B.