Micky

Micky

A Story by Kaye Adell
"

Jay is coming back from a photo shoot and is going home to tell his best friend the great luck he has had that day, but when Jay gets home, there is an alarming surprise.

"
Jay drove back to the studio happy with the photo shoot that he had squeezed in just before the rain started. He couldn't wait to get back and tell Micky how he had just missed the rain. Jay walked into the studio which was empty that day because they didn't have any other shoots scheduled for the day, since it was part of the slow season for photographers. Then, Jay continued to walk to Micky's office, but the lights were off.

"That's strange," Jay said wondering why Micky wasn't working on editing his photos for one of their most important clients. Jay, then, climbed the stairs to the apartment that was above the studio. Jay found Micky in his usual chair at the table. Micky was slouched in his chair with his head tilted back like he fallen asleep.

Jay smiled at the site of his friend and said, "Hey, Micky, guess what?"

"Micky, wake up," Jay said cheerfully knowing that rainy days put his best friend in a horrible mood, and walked closer to Micky.

"Micky, come on," Jay said shaking Micky's shoulder. He then realized Micky was cold. "Micky? Micky?! Micky! MICKY!!" Jay screamed. Micky was dead. Jay called 911 and they took Micky away. He didn't cry he was in too much shock, and he didn't call anyone either because of the same reason. He notice that Micky's camera was on and also noticed there was a note.

It said: "Jay,
Don't worry about the project I was supposed to get done I finished it. You can have all of my belongings. I won't need it now. It's my wedding present to you and Sarah.
I hope whenever you look back on my pictures you remember me at my best. I'll miss you.
Micky

"You idiot. I thought I was helping you. Why did you die, Micky?" Jay asked angrily.
Five years later.

"Jay, are you going to your old apartment again?" Justin asked Jay as he was getting ready to leave.
"Yeah, do you want to come?" Jay asked him.
"Nah, it's your thing that you always do this time of the year. I know the emotions you have to your old studio, but you know you could at least rent out the place if you don't want to sell it," Justin said meaning Jay might need to move on.
"Justin, I can't.... I can't. I'll be at Marty's to night for dinner," Jay said leaving the office for the studio with an old camera. He then got in his car and drove to his old studio.

The studio was empty. Jay walked up the stairs slowly with the camera in his hands. The only things that were left in the small apartment above the studio was a table with two chairs. Jay sat in his chair across from Micky's. He turned on Micky's camera and began to watch the video.

"Jay, do you remember the Spanish class we took in college with John. That was the dumbest class ever. I mean do you remember when she gave us all our "Spanish names." John was just Juan. Yours didn't translate so you picked whatever the word is for pillow because you wanted to go to sleep. I picked whatever mad man is. I can't even remember what my name was that's so sad. haha," Micky said smiling. John was Micky's younger, who died a year before Micky in a car wreck.

"Yep, looking back I don't regret any of it. That was time well spent," Jay said as if Micky was sitting across the table him and laughed at little. Micky had always suffered from sever depression, but after he lost his brother, his depression gradually became worse and worse. Jay had tried to help Micky.

"I miss John, but that won't bring him back. Do you ever think about him?" Micky smiled as he talked.

"All the time Micky, you know how close all three of us are," Jay said again in the same way he had before.

Micky, then, picked up a clear bottle that had some clear liquid in it. Micky pored it into his coffee and took a big sip. "Jay, I hope you and your fiance have a beautiful wedding. You are inviting me, right?" Micky said smiling with a weird look in his eyes.

"Micky, you idiot. Why wouldn't I invite you?," Jay said to the camera with the hint of a smile.

"Feel like I'm such a bother to everyone lately," Micky said drowsily with a hint of a smile and his head bobbed down, but he managed to pull it back up. "You were the only person that understood me other than my little brother."

"How dare you say that Micky! I didn't freaking know that this was going to happen today," Jay yelled at Micky. Jay could feel tears blurring his vision.

"I'm a little surprised you didn't catch onto what I was going to do today, guess I'm a good actor. Wish I would have known that before today," Micky smiled again and his head bobbed back, and this time he didn't move.

"Micky, you idiot. Why did you do this?" Jay said again talking to the camera. He could feel the tears running down his face and brushed them away quickly. There was silence. Then, he could hear his voice coming from the camera, "Hey, Micky, guess what?... Micky, wake up...Micky, come on... Micky? Micky?! Micky! MICKY!!"

"Jay?," Sarah said as she entered the apartment.
"Sarah, I was just about to leave," Jay said his voice sounding chocked from crying, "Come here."
Sarah walked to Jay, and she sat in his lap, wrapped her arms around him and lifted his head looking into her husband's eyes said, " You can't keep doing this. You have to let go eventually."
He looked into her eyes and said without much emotion, "I know."
"Come on, everyone is going to wonder where we are," Sarah said about to get up, but Jay pulled her back down and kissed her to make sure she was real and that he was back to reality. He pulled away and said, "Yeah, we should go."
He got up from his chair and took his wife's hand, and they walked down stairs together. Micky's camera was left on the table.

© 2013 Kaye Adell


Author's Note

Kaye Adell
Here's something a little different. Let me know what you think. It was inspired by Nell's song and music video The Day Before.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on January 6, 2013
Last Updated on April 25, 2013
Tags: sad, depression, loss, crying, death, friendship, shocked

Author

Kaye Adell
Kaye Adell

About
Writing is a hobby of mine that very few people know about. I hope your reviews will help me become a better author. I've thought about writing for a career but not too seriously. more..

Writing
Pride Pride

A Poem by Kaye Adell