Growing Up

Growing Up

A Poem by Kaye Adell
"

Confession time. Yep, I used to live in a bubble. I broke out of that once I got to college. If you live in a bubble, I hope this makes you want to break out of that bubble.

"
Coming to college I have become my own person. I lived the shadows too long of my "friends" in high school. I held their opinions too highly of what they thought of me. I broke out of their hold. I have a pair of purple skinny jeans. I would have never thought of trying those jeans on because of my "friends". That's stupid. Why did I care so much? They were so shallow and judgmental. Looking back, I was the same. I hate looking back to see that about myself. I was so self-absorbed. My senior year of high school I began to change because of a girl that had transferred the year before. She made me realize that it doesn't; a person has the same value no matter what. A person can be White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, young, old, gay, straight, bisexual, tattooed, pierced, or whatever; they are still a person. I should not place myself above someone because they are different than me. I rarely talk to her anymore because we are not in the same places in our lives, but I'll never forget what she taught me. I am grateful have had her in my life to teach me this simple lesson.

© 2013 Kaye Adell


Author's Note

Kaye Adell
I know it's hard to break out of a bubble it took me a while to break out of that bubble, but you will feel better once you have. Promise. Love it or hate it. Let me know, thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
Added on February 12, 2013
Last Updated on February 23, 2013
Tags: growing up, mistakes, learning, judgemental, narrow minded

Author

Kaye Adell
Kaye Adell

About
Writing is a hobby of mine that very few people know about. I hope your reviews will help me become a better author. I've thought about writing for a career but not too seriously. more..

Writing
Pride Pride

A Poem by Kaye Adell