For His Love

For His Love

A Story by Kaye Adell

    They lay in their bed holding just holding hands. Cassandra was still awake unable to sleep. She would sleep when he was gone. David was lying next to her dozing off and on. He did not want to leave her in the morning, but he knew he had to there was no choice about it. Mr. Gruen, his father had two art exhibitions that were on tour at the same time; both of them had a few of David's paintings and sculptures in it.

    His father told him six months ago that David would be appearing at the Europe events while Mr. Gruen would be staying in the United States for the events here. The United Sates exhibition was over a three year period, while the Europe exhibition was over a year period. There was a catch in his father letting him go to Europe, David had to study two years there because his father said that he needed to study under one of his good friends. He loved Cassandra so much he didn’t know how he was going to live without her. There was no possible way of seeing her within those three years because he father had forbid it. Mr. Gruen had said that Cassandra would just be a distraction to his art. David being the good son he wasn’t going to argue with his father. David was the good son, the son with promise, and in other words was Mr. Gruen's favorite son. Colby, the oldest out of the two Gruen boys, was not artistically talented this did not mean he was not talented. Colby had stared his own publishing company and was very well know.

    “Cassandra?” David asked not sure if his wife was awake. They had been married only two years. He couldn't believe his dad was doing this, but it would be a lie to say that he did not want to better his career by doing this. His father had never truly know what love was because Mr. Gruen had had many affairs. However, these had for the most part been hidden from the media; for his family, this was not the case. His father did not understand how vital Cassandra was to him or his work.

    “Yes, honey?” she said quietly.

    “I love you, Cassandra,” he said wrapping his arms around her.

    “I love you, David,” she said as she snuggled into his arms. Her eyes began to blur. She knew he had to go they had talk about this for months that did not mean she liked the fact much more than when he told her.

    He knew she was crying. He hated it because he was the reason she was crying. In the beginning he had tried every way possible to comfort her, but in the end he just let her cry because there were not any amounts of I’m sorrys, everything is going to be ok, presents, or nice dinners that would change the fact that he was leaving. He wanted to tell her that he would stay with her and not go or that she could go with him. They both knew he had to go. Now she faced him, her tears had stopped mostly. He brushed them from her cheek, and kissed her softly.

    They both managed to fall asleep eventually. Then there was a knock on the door. It was Jude, David’s manservant. David got up trying not to wake Cassandra. He answered the door and left to get ready. He would be back later to say good-bye. Cassandra got up and realized David was gone. She panicked and called her servant, Mollie.

   “Mollie, David hasn’t left yet has he?” she asked urgently.

    “Not yet dear, he’s in the dining room eating breakfast,” Mollie said, “I’ll be up in a minute.”

    Cassandra was able to calm down after talking to Mollie. Then, she went to get ready. She pick out a sundress that she knew was his favorite on her. It was dark blue with little light blue flowers all over. She walked into the dining room.

    “I was going to let you sleep later,” David said when she entered.

    “Well you scared me. I thought you had already left,” Cassandra said and took the seat next to him.

     He squeezed her hand and said, “ There is no way I was going to leave without say goodbye.”

    Then, it was time for him to go. Everything had been packed and loaded onto the jet. They hugged each other and kissed for a long time. As they were in that moment they just wanted to stay in it forever. David pulled away and said, “Cassandra take care. I’ll be back before you know it. I love you.”

    “I love you too, David. Here take this,” she handed him a letter.

     David looked at it a little confused. “I figured this would be the easiest way to keep in contact because video chat could be sketchy and phone calls would get expensive. Just write me when you have time or you get tired of working,” Cassandra said smiling.

    “Thanks Cassandra. I don’t think I would have ever thought of this. I’ll see you later,” David said hugging her one last time and then he was gone.

© 2012 Kaye Adell


Author's Note

Kaye Adell
Just revised this again. Hopefully it's better than the original. Please review as always. I may have second part to this so please tell me if you like it. If you don't like it please suggest something. The second part is coming soon...hopefully.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on June 15, 2012
Last Updated on October 8, 2012
Tags: husband, wife, leaving, love, decisions, letter, artist, sculpture, three years, lonely, regret, opportunity

Author

Kaye Adell
Kaye Adell

About
Writing is a hobby of mine that very few people know about. I hope your reviews will help me become a better author. I've thought about writing for a career but not too seriously. more..

Writing
Pride Pride

A Poem by Kaye Adell