1888

1888

A Screenplay by Jordan Rodway
"

Finn Marlow travels back to London, 1888 with the sole purpose of putting a face to the infamous serial killer, 'Jack the Ripper'.

"
EXT. TEN BELLS PUB - NIGHT: 2:15 AM �"  
The scene is dark apart from the few street lamps darted around the place with their little flames inside flickering away with the autumn wind. The sound of drunken mutterings can be heard from the Ten Bells Pub in which Finn has just exited. 
Finn checks the time on his modern day watch, which he quickly hides away after noticing the time. He begins to walk hastily away in the dark Whitechapel streets. 
EXT. JUNCTION BETWEEN OSBORN STREET AND WHITECHAPEL ROAD - NIGHT: 2:30 AM �"  
Finn watches two prostitutes talking in the middle of the junction. He stays out of the view of them as a horse and carriage pass between the two women leaving only silence behind. One of the women is extremely drunk and missing her two front teeth. 
FINN
(Whispers to himself)
 Mary Nichols ... Jack's first victim. 
ELLEN
How much have you made tonight, Mary? 
MARY
More than I usually do in a whole damn week! 
Mary stumbles as she walks away. 
ELLEN
Where are you going? Come back to the lodging house with me. You're too drunk to be wandering off. 
Mary turns towards Ellen. 
MARY
(Shouts)
 No! This is the first time I've had enough money to drink in weeks. 
Ellen rolls her eyes, turns and walks away. 
ELLEN
Have it your way then. You know where I'll be when you decide to sober up. 
Ellen turns down the junction. Mary stumbles down towards Whitechapel Road. Finn lets her walk a little while before slowly following her. 
EXT. WHITECHAPEL ROAD - NIGHT 2:35 AM �"  
The large cobbled street seemed to go on and on. Rubbish littered the road as Mary walked into the darkness alone. 
Mary continues to walk down Whitechapel Road. Barely a minute passes by when she takes a sharp left onto a new road. Finn checks his watch and realizes that within the hour Mary would be found dead in Buck's Row. Nearby is a tavern, its lights beaming out onto the street along with the sound of many people's laughter. Mary darts inside eagerly. 
INT. TAVERN - NIGHT 2:39 AM �"  
The wooden tables were crowded into the small, dingy tavern. The drink from the oversized tankards spilt over the floor causing people to slip across. 
Finn opens the door to the tavern and walks inside. After spotting Mary near the bar he goes into the corner of the pub, where he can clearly see Mary, drinking heavenly once again. 
EXT. WHITECHAPEL ROAD - NIGHT 3:18 AM �"  
Mary falls out of the pub, down on to the ground. A tabby cat screeches its disapproval of the woman. Mary swipes her hands towards the cat as it screeches once again before running off. She laughs to herself as she slowly gets back up to her feet. She then proceeds to brush off the dirt from her skirt. 
MARY
(Slurs)
 The lodging house ... that way? 
She points back down the road she walked previously and then turns to face the other road leading past the tavern. 
MARY (CONT'D)
Or is it that way? 
Finn slowly walks from the pub and watches Mary from the doorway, waiting for her to continue down the road. 
MARY (CONT'D) 
(Laughs)
 It’s that way! 
EXT. BUCK'S ROW - NIGHT - 3:22 AM �"  
A highly built warehouse overshadows the narrow street. Its wooden door entrance swings slowly back and forth. 
As Mary turns onto Buck's Row she hears footsteps behind her. She stops. Finn sidesteps into the shadows and remains still, listening for the footsteps along with Mary. The footsteps continue to disturb the night. 
MARY
Who's there? 
The footsteps slowly die out. 
MARY (CONT'D)
Stop messing around, you little twerp! 
She says on the spot for a few more seconds before stumbling off down the street. Finn does not move but only watches Mary. The footsteps start again, this time they are moving faster. Mary turns around, poised to dart after someone. 
MARY (CONT'D)
(Shouts)
 Look you! 
A man dressed completely in black wields a large knife. He slashes the knife across Mary's throat. She begins to bleed heavily from her neck. She falls to her knees. She remains in this position for only a matter of seconds before she grasped her bleeding throat tightly with her hand and fell backwards onto the back. The man kneels down and starts to plunge the knife into her abdomen. The air from Mary's lungs bursts out as it slices deeper into her. Finn watches horrified and closes his eyes. 
MARY (CONT'D)
(Gurgles)
 H-help ... 
The noise she made was barely a whisper. The blood oozing from her throat preventing her from raising her voice. Mary coughs violently as blood fills her throat. She slowly begins to choke on her own blood. 
The sound of the knife continuing its attack suddenly stops. Heavy footsteps meet the stone street. Finn finally opens his eyes. The unknown man is standing over Mary's body. Her eyes are looking up at the night sky without seeing. The blood-covered knife is quickly concealed within the man's coat. The man turns down Buck's Row with haste. 
FINN
(Shouts)
 Oi. Stop! 
The man does not even stop to turn around. Assuming that Finn is a police officer he darts back down the street in which Mary had walked up. 
EXT. WHITECHAPEL ROAD - NIGHT 3:34 AM �"  
The tavern up ahead is still just as lively as it was the last time Finn had walked this road. 
Finn keeps the man in his gaze. They soon reach the tavern's entrance. A crowed of drunken women stumble from the tavern. The man passes the tavern just in time as not to be delayed by them. Finn is not as lucky, he runs straight into a woman. She and Finn loose their balance and fall to the ground. By the time Finn looks up the road the man is gone. 
END OF SCENE. 

© 2013 Jordan Rodway


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the premise, and the general description is good. But I think the dialogue and historical detail could use some research. I think prostitutes from Whitechapel would have a distinct way of speaking that could be incorporated here. And how about some historical features: what kind of lights? Could you describe the tavern more? It's small but is there anything else to say about it? What about smells? How are the prostitutes dressed?

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
1 Review
Added on April 20, 2013
Last Updated on April 20, 2013
Tags: jack the ripper, historical fiction, 1888, london, whitechapel, time travel