smile

smile

A Poem by Joe Palmer
"

Watch a rough performance of 'smile' here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAnxd386NYg

"

'Smile, and the world smiles with you' they say.

It's funny, because this phony phrase is fraught with fiction.

In fact, the stark opposite occurs from this fraudulent depiction.

 

Because the last time I smiled at a child, tempers flared, the parents went wild.

Such a gentle, benign gesture got people riled, fierce threats of police calls and lawsuits filed.

And from such an innocuous, innocent action, malice-free and mild,

Venomous words; I'm vilified and now somehow I'm the paedophile.

You explain that.

 

 

So 'Smile, and the whole world smiles with you'

An enigmatic expression that evidently does not exist,

Or perhaps now an autonomic reaction that we just somehow resist.

 

The last time I smiled at a woman I inadvertently initiated war.

Perhaps the upturn in my cheeks implied I was after a little bit more. 

Or inferred that she was a w***e.

Accusations I clearly deny, a smile doesn't imply I was trying to sexualise or objectify.

Furthermore, just like before, I blame the blame culture. Always looking to alienate and chastise. And now I'm the womaniser, the misogynist, the chauvinistic pig you're encouraged to abhor.

Can you explain that?

 

 

'Smile, and the world smiles with you' they whimper.

But this belligerent bull-s**t I will not begin to believe.

So antiquated, so false, that I swear I won't be deceived.

 

I remember the last time I smiled to guy, just a friendly, run-of-the-mill grin as I hurried on by.

'Are you bent mate?' was his reply. Such a nonchalant homophobic insult, his default.

That pierced to my core and I assume, and to many would revolt?

So I paused, dumfounded and asked myself why, how can a simple acknowledgment possibly imply?

That I’m gay, and if I was, what would it matter? I’d have nothing to hide. It gets me. It gets me inside. Where was I when politeness, respect and graciousness died?

Tell me that.

 

 

'Smile, and the world smiles with you, but cry, and you cry alone’.

But I don’t want to smile, will grinning from ear-to-ear infer that I’ve touched a child?

Should I reluctantly smile? Or smile in fear of being branded a ‘queer’?

Should I refrain, mask or contain the pleasantries that I hold dear?

Or keep schtum, head down, and reflect upon the civilities of yesteryear.

But smile, and you’ll smile alone.

So keep your head down, face expressionless.

Avoid eye contact, banish friendly or euphoric thoughts, a neutral stance is best.

Keep your head down, because smile, and you’ll smile alone.

Smiling: a nicety, and novelty, that’s probably best kept at home. 

 

 

 

 

 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAnxd386NYg

© 2015 Joe Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I get this totally, its so sad that simple smile can be so misunderstood. But don't give it up! we all need smiles and laughter. I relate to your wonderful style of poetry. I find the beginning really emotional, like this person feels, to blame, that makes me really sad, children should never carry that through life. Amazing work !

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I get this totally, its so sad that simple smile can be so misunderstood. But don't give it up! we all need smiles and laughter. I relate to your wonderful style of poetry. I find the beginning really emotional, like this person feels, to blame, that makes me really sad, children should never carry that through life. Amazing work !

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Misinterpretation of your actions ---wronged --- in our cruel world of judgment.
Sad, but true--it happens frequently.
When will we stop judging on so little?
endless censorship without a good cause, yes, I have experienced it often, too.
You are not alone in this situation in question.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a wry and relevant write. It is true that the no good deed will go unpunished these days, people misconstrue, they are offended so easily. Well penned

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Like all things. We must keep a positive attitude and go forward. A smile can be fake. Better to laugh than cry. I like the flow of thoughts making the reader pondering the cost of surviving. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...and people invest in teeth whitening - why?

Point and counter point graciously given, a pernicious defense as well. A subtle bow and nod given - you earned them.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is beautiful. I agree that our society has become so full of fear, that we look around and see shadows twisting and readying to attack. A simple smile upon a stranger, to receive a look back as if we had gone mad. Once neighbors were close and now to knock upon their door, we clearly are odd and will in the future be avoided. If only we could return to yesteryear, when we knew all as friendly, until revealed to truly be otherwise.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe Palmer

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! It was initially intended as spoken word, but it kinda works a poem too. Yeah I.. read more
Southern_Writes

8 Years Ago

I agree. I am from a small town and was use to all faces being seen as friend, but since moving to m.. read more
Loved this! Amazing work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe Palmer

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Sophia!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 7, 2015
Last Updated on December 7, 2015
Tags: smile, children, women, hate

Author

Joe Palmer
Joe Palmer

Aberdeen, Scotland , United Kingdom



About
poetry; my non-chemical stimulation. 24, PhD student in Aberdeen/Nottingham. I'm sporadically on twitter @joepalmertfn. I compose and play guitar for a little band, although we're currently on hia.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..