Mr Ferret

Mr Ferret

A Story by JoyCJF
"

Feeling pretty insecure about myself and broken-hearted when I wrote this. Writing sure is theraputic. :D

"

Mr Ferret had a big nose. The biggest nose you’ve ever seen. It was so big, and so heavy, that it sagged down all the way to his feet. He dragged it around as he walked, huffing and puffing his way home from work everyday.

It was his misfortune, he had always thought, to be bestowed with such a nose. He felt like he was the black ferret of the family, as compared to his pretty nosed siblings. He often wondered why, or how, did he ever get this ugly nose of his. This has caused him to be introverted and shy. His insecurities and low self-esteen were like a stink that followed him around all day.

 

One day, as Mr. Ferret was walking home after a long day of work, he found something amazing. Something out of this world, something he had never seen before. He moved towards it, slowly. It was fragile, and felt so light in his palms. It is beautiful, he thought. He took it away, wanting it to be his own. He pulled it from its roots, greedy for its possession.

 

Everyday, without fail, he would look at it and talk to it. He felt that it was alive to him, it looked at him with its big brown eye. It had a beautiful mane, bright yellow in colour. It brought him happiness, and Mr. Ferret felt that it was the only hing in this entire world that would accept him for who he is. As days passed, Mr Ferret grew deeper and deeper in love.

 

Days passed, and weeks passed, and Mr Ferret started to realise. Something bad was happening. His one and only love seemed to slowly fade away from him. Day after day, as he returned home, he would see its mane slowly turning brown, and its beautiful brown eye turning black and downcast. Mr Ferret anxiously looked on, unable to do anything for his love that was dying. He tried all ways and means to cheer it up, but it continued on looking worse and worse everyday. It must be my nose, it is too ugly, Mr Ferret thought. He started to smell again. That insecurity, that horrible stink that was gone only for the short period while he was in love, started to surface again.

 

Finally, after a short time to us, but a long time for Mr Ferret, it died. It couldn’t speak to Mr Ferret anymore, and it couldn’t move. Mr Ferret stayed in his home, staring at his lost love. The stink was unbearable for anyone who could go near, and a few days later, Mr Ferret was gone too - He died of a stink and a broken heart.

 

Sometime along the way, a small child was lost in the garden. He was scared, and frustrated. He chanced upon a small cave behind the bushes, and out of curiosity he peered in. Something smelled, and he pinched his nose hard. What he found was a small ferret, dead, and lying next to him was a withered sunflower. He had never seen a sunflower in this garden before, as it did not have any. He kicked the ferret aside, and took the sunflower. At this moment, he heard a familiar voice, and he ran towards it.

 

The boy had his happy ending - he had found his parents, and was never lost from that point onwards. His parents were surprised to find the withered sunflower in their child’s hands, but as adults, they never bothered with its existence. As for Mr Ferret, he laid in his humble home for a long long time, till his meat became food for the earth and his bones turned to dust.

© 2010 JoyCJF


Author's Note

JoyCJF
Comments and critcisms will be greatly appreciated! Thank You Guys!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your writing ability is impressive and I loved everything about this story until the end, which I thought seemed a bit dis-jointed. If there is a relation between the boy and the ferret, it should be made stronger, I think. It's just my opinion and perhaps others will see it differently. In all, I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Very impressive. I was convinced Mr Ferret was a man I swear to God!!! I really loved it it has a sad element to it that Mr Ferret died of a broken heart but a good one because he knew love for a while. But the ending was great because Mr Ferret loved this sunflower...that grew from the earth and when he sadly died of a broken heart he became one with the earth again. Nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thank You for your review! Yea, it did seem a bit disjointed. I will continue to improve!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Your writing ability is impressive and I loved everything about this story until the end, which I thought seemed a bit dis-jointed. If there is a relation between the boy and the ferret, it should be made stronger, I think. It's just my opinion and perhaps others will see it differently. In all, I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 11, 2010
Last Updated on April 11, 2010

Author

JoyCJF
JoyCJF

Singapore



About
Suprisingly morbid even though I am a bundle of joy. The irony of my name describes it all. more..

Writing
The Zebra The Zebra

A Story by JoyCJF



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


6 Weeks 6 Weeks

A Story by Jim Parson