The Headline

The Headline

A Story by Just-another-kid

Fog rolled into the hidden town of Lunsford. Sitting on the front porch, Daniel read the morning paper. He shivered as the morning sun faded into the fog; setting down his paper on the rickety swing he was sitting on, he entered his home. His wife danced around the kitchen.

“Oh Daniel, isn’t it wonderful?” she sighed, a dazed look in her clear eyes, “Such a lovely day.” she grasped at Daniel’s right hand and pulled him to look out the window. “Do you think we could go for a walk today?” her voice pleading.

“You know how I feel about that.” his voice turned stern.

“Please? All I’m asking, is just this once,” she continued to beg, clutching his arm.

“Enough.” he cried, flinging her off his arm. She draped onto the floor and started sobbing, Daniel turned away from her.

Please Stop crying.”

“I’m sorry, I just thought maybe...” she stood and straightened out her dress, “I’ll just make some tea.” she exhaled a long breath. Daniel had learned to enjoy the comfort of the indoors, like she had learned to love him.


In the night Daniel awoke; loud noises echoed from downstairs. He reached over and felt for his wife. Feeling a lump in the sheet, he sighed a heavy relief. He reached for the metal bat under the bed and made his way downstairs. A silhouette was reaching for the kitchen window; sneaking up behind the shadow, he swung the bat. A familiar woman's voice screamed. Startled, he reached for the light switch. He saw his wife sprawled across the floor.

“What have I done?” he panicked and pulled his wife's body into his arms.

“I just...” she started, “...wanted out.” The life fled from her voice.


Weeks later, the news arrived at the house. Daniel stepped outside to read his newspaper on the porch like he had done for many years, but something caught his eye. The large headline in bold ink,

“ Lucy Abbot Found Dead After Years Missing”

He dropped the newspaper on the seat, and a single tear rolled out of his left eye. He looked up at the misty skies forming above him.

“Daniel?” A woman's voice from inside the house sounded, “after you’ve read your paper, do you think we could go for a walk?”  

© 2017 Just-another-kid


Author's Note

Just-another-kid
looking for some constructive criticism please !

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on September 5, 2017
Last Updated on September 5, 2017
Tags: short story, story, criticism, idk what to tag

Author

Just-another-kid
Just-another-kid

Canada



About
I just like to write a lot, to say things I wouldn't say out loud y'know? more..

Writing