Prompt 4- You Found Me

Prompt 4- You Found Me

A Story by Keola
"

A story about a man who lost himself in the world but managed to find himself again.

"

A few years ago he was the life of the party. A person that would captivate your soul and gravitate you in by the energetic persona he projected. A beautiful gift that served access to all that crossed his path. A light that was fruitful until masked by a darkness that never seemed to pass. 


The alarm clock went off which was followed by a swift snooze. Blackness consumed his room and even more so his head. Now in his late twenties, laid off work for some time, and one thing leading to another, the hours of sleep accumulated at a noticeable rate. His room was littered with clothes and complimented with water bottles clustered around empty food packages. One quick look and you could tell that an emotional hurricane tore through the depths of his four walled prison. Negative talk became sweet noise that played on an endless record player. The snooze button laid black and blue from the abuse it endured that morning. He finally awoke and slumbered over the flowing river of clothes and half consciously made a cup of coffee. The pungent aroma filled the room but his body still felt lifeless. When he left the kitchen he saw an envelope that was slipped under the front door. This marked the first contact he has received in a great while. He opened it up and read a list of directions to a destination. A bit of curiosity overran his sluggish thoughts. Nothing seemed threatening about it so he decided to follow it. A crumbled shirt was thrown on followed with a thin striped hoodie, a hat, and sun glasses to shield the light that was unseen by him for some time. He took a great breath in which filled his lungs with more motivation than the last couple months combined. An exaggerated exhale followed and he was out the door. 


He started the car and didn't bother to turn on the radio. Silence was the only tune he grew comfort in. After a short drive he arrived at a local burger joint he used to attend regularly with his friends. Red fluffy chairs shaped in booths surrounded the inside while bar like stools were reserved next to a lifted table strip off to the side. It was apart of many good memories that he buried and left abandoned for months now. When he walked in he witnessed the many faces that were smiling and laughing like he once did. When he was a regular everyone knew who he was but not a single soul recognized him today. He slowly approached the counter and a lovely young lady gave him another envelope that held another series of directions. She smiled and he slugged on the the next location. 


 Still trying to figure out what’s going on he appeared at the next destination. Not only was it close to his house like the burger joint but he and his friends also would often come to this park to play basketball or catch with a football. The park fostered life of many ages ranging from kids to adults. The center was covered by a reasonably tamed rich green grass field surrounded by a  pine tree line as a perimeter. On the far left side held a play ground for kids and on the far right side were courts of a series of sports. More memories avalanched into his brain with a more urgent attitude in finding out who was sending these envelopes and the reason behind it. He came across a familiar area and sat on a nearby bench. Another envelope was taped to the old creaky wood. It gave a final list of directions. His mind was racing as to how someone knew so much about his past.


The last location was revealed as he pulled up into a side street that divided a neighborhood and a large mountain. A dirt road path lead to top that hosted a beautiful view at night. The lights illuminated the outskirts of the city and up above, the stars attempt to outshine one another exposing their position oh so clearly. He hiked up the path as he did a thousand times before. Again, memories ambushed him as if a continuous film was being displayed before his eyes. When he found his normal spot, the word “warehouse”  was carved in the ground with an arrow pointing to the right. He and his friends would always pass the warehouse but never went inside. 


 He slowly and cautiously approached the well lit door. Nervous in confronting the unknown, he slowly twisted the handle and entered. The bright room consisted of a single table with a chair, a book, and a mirror on the wall. He took a visually sweep around before he sat down. He opened the dust layered book with shaky hands and instantly became overwhelmed. It was a picture collage holding very important memories of his own. Every picture had him smiling in it one way or another. All of the pictures also contained each of the places he just visited. No longer able to fight his tears, they streamed down his face like a youthful waterfall. Powerful memories surfaced and he began to feel. The thick barrier of numbness came tumbling down. The deepest emotions spread like wild fire throughout every inch of his body. Images became blurry and he closed the book. He pushed his chair in and made his way to the mirror. Distraught, he couldn't help but stare at himself. For the first time in a great while he recognized the person looking back at him. In this moment everything was clear. A smile was formed as he reached out his shaking hand to come in contact with his reflection. On the mirror just off to the side a sticky note read “You found me”.  

© 2016 Keola


Author's Note

Keola
I want to make more of this but it's a start. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow!! What an incredible journey. Your use of descriptive language is phenomenal and the emotion you pour into the story is awesome. I hope you keep writing this story :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 9, 2016
Last Updated on March 9, 2016

Author

Keola
Keola

NV



Writing
Beautiful Now Beautiful Now

A Story by Keola


Their Story Their Story

A Story by Keola


I Miss You I Miss You

A Story by Keola