The mind says it all

The mind says it all

A Story by Nishita
"

This is about the endless thoughts that were running in my mind on the day my aunt was departing to the USA. Hope you like it

"
I sat there alone in the room, unable to study. My mind rewound the memories spent with her over the years. She was not just my aunt; she was a guide in my life. She was the candle which threw light on the right path, when I had no idea where to go. She taught me how to look back at the number of steps I had managed to climb in life and at the same time, taught me how to continue climbing the stairs of success and hard work. She was leaving to USA that night. My uncle had got a job there a few months ago. Hence, she too decided to shift there. Not just her, but the little princess- her daughter was going away with her as well. I considered the baby a blessing after my brother.
Things had happened over the past, but events don’t remain events; they turn into memories and not all memories stay with us; they fade away. Tears filled my eyes as I realized that we had to leave for the airport within a few hours. I searched for a photo of mine with her to set it as my profile picture on Whatsapp. I found none. It is surprising how we capture moments with people who don’t matter to us and never with those whom we love the most. Maybe, we just live the moment.
I came downstairs. My aunt seemed normal or maybe she felt the same as I did. I still had a lot to learn from her. She was one of the boldest and independent women in my life. She had a charming smile, bright eyes and curly locks. She looked as young as a blooming flower and was the color of the moon. Beauty with brains was what I often described her as.
The time arrived and we left for the airport. I wondered what she felt at that moment. Would she miss all of us like we did? Or was she eager to meet her family overseas? Whatever it was, I did not understand. We reached the airport and unloaded the luggage. We all stood there, not knowing what to say. I carried the baby and never wanted to let her go. My granny had given prior notice that she would cry at the airport but I guess she changed her mind. My aunt advised me to be a good girl and take care of my grandparents. She went in through the gates and bid goodbye.
I guess funny things keep happening in our family. The cap which the baby was wearing had fallen off while my aunt was taking her boarding pass.
“Oh no! The cap has fallen down!” I said, pointing towards it.
“Will she see it?” my aunt’s mom said, in panic.
“Will someone tell her?”
“What if she doesn’t take it?”
“The baby doesn’t even know that the cap has fallen”, the conversations continued.
My aunt’s mom suggested shouting from the window but I replied that she wouldn’t be able to hear us. We thought of calling her but assumed that she would be too busy to pick up the call. We anxiously stared at the cap which had helplessly fallen on the ground. After fifteen minutes, my aunt finally picked it up.

“She took it!” we all said one after the other. We sighed with relief. She came near the window and called us. The phone was circulated among everyone. One last goodbye and she went. We stared at her till she went out of sight. All of us were proud of her. We talked about how brave she was to travel all alone with the baby.

“Grow up to be like her”, my grandpa said. Although I didn’t reply, I was waiting for the day when my family would come to the airport to see me catch a flight to fly to my dreams…

© 2017 Nishita


Author's Note

Nishita
We all have that list of people who are very close to our heart. This was what went on in my mind when my aunt left for the USA. Tell me if you have experienced something similar!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on November 12, 2017
Last Updated on November 12, 2017

Author

Nishita
Nishita

Bangalore , India



About
Hi! This is Nishita here from Bangalore, India. I love dancing, acting and literature. A student and an aspiring actress... That's me! more..

Writing
Unshield Unshield

A Story by Nishita