On the same boat

On the same boat

A Story by Nishita
"

Have you ever been in a room full of people who are like minded? A place where you feel you belong? Here's a similar incident that I decided to pen down.

"
My decisions on education have always been like a swing. Worse, in fact. A swing just moves to and fro but mine moved in all directions. After all that chaos, confusion and arguments, I was finally doing what my entire family had done - engineering. I sometimes felt all those discussions were worth nothing when I was actually destined to follow the family tradition of education. However, I was seated in the classroom of Jain University, attending an entrance test for journalism. Not that I would pursue the course; I, for once, wanted to live my dream, even if that meant only for a few hours.
We first had a written test based on general knowledge, basic maths and an essay writing. I did pretty well and wished I had performed the same during CET. Maths was obviously the only thing I was most sure of(for the first time). I noticed something which would be considered peculiar by everyone else- everyone was very tall. I wanted to run away immediately.
For the first time, I was in a room full of like minded people. No one there was an expert in integration and no one was a science freak. Everyone there were the same as me. Not a single person there was quiet, reserved and an introvert. Everyone interacted very comfortably and I could sense an air of confidence around everyone. I had the urge to talk to everyone and discuss various topics related to journalism. A lot of people there bumped into their classmates as almost all of them were from the arts stream and many of their classmates were applying for the same course. My grandparents were obviously not very excited. This meant nothing to them. They were probably overwhelmed that I was stepping into engineering, no matter what.
Not stereotyping anyone, but as per my observations, there was definitely one thing about most of the arts students- they were all very beautiful. I had met a girl there while I was looking for my room where the test would be held. She was named Khushi. She was tall, slim and had a fair complexion with a cute smile. I loved how she instantly became my friend. I made friends with her classmates as well who had happened to come to the entrance test.
The written test was followed by a group discussion. We had to wait for long before it started and meanwhile, everyone were engrossed in their conversations. Many of them spoke about the different entrance tests for journalism that I wasn't even aware of. Some were even willing to try for the course in different states to get the best out of it. They told me about the best colleges for it. I had absolutely no idea about it. All I knew, was about the engineering colleges, it's cut off ranking for CET and how I could never make it there. I met another girl and got to know that she too, was from the science stream. She had apparently written CET for the sake of her dad and was also to write NEET. However, unlike me, she had decided to study journalism itself. We discussed our performance in CET and our boards. I told her that CET hadn't gone well. "It doesn't really matter, right? You're anyway getting into journalism", she said. I wanted to tell her how half my family was directly pushing me into engineering and the rest half was making an indirect push. "Well, I'm quite serious about engineering as well. If I get a seat, then it's definitely where I'm going", I replied.
Meanwhile, I started writing this article as we still waited for the group discussion to start. Khushi peeped into my phone and saw me typing. "What's that?" she asked. I instantly regretted starting my writing at an awkward time. She read out the first few lines and showed it to her friend. She was impressed with the very little I had written and casted her enchanting smile. I told her about my blog. "You'll definitely make it!" she said, scraping off her pink nail polish. "Well, even if I do, I can't really join the course; my family would disown me if I took up arts", I said. She seemed a bit taken aback. One thing about everyone was for sure - all of them were serious about what they were doing and were passionate about it. I looked around the classroom. I wondered if I saw a bunch of future employment strugglers or a group of passionate people.
The group discussion started after a long wait. I was surprised at how everyone spoke up so confidently. Even those who looked quite reserved, proved to be a contrast to it. We were to talk about whether certain advertisments should be banned, keeping in mind the impact on morality, health, etc. I had relevant points too and spoke what I had to.
The test came to an end, with an announcement that the selected ones would have to appear for the personal interview the next day. I had been in a place where I had always wanted to be. I was sure that the room definitely had people who could write better than me and speak better than me, but I was ready to improve. Betterment of others did not translate into my inferiority, unlike what had always been happening throughout my entire school and two years of college life.
Later at night, I checked the website of the university. I was happy to see my name on the list, which meant that I was selected. I smiled and kept my phone down, and prepared myself for another exciting day, happy that I would again be in a place where everyone were on the same boat.

© 2018 Nishita


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on April 28, 2018
Last Updated on April 28, 2018

Author

Nishita
Nishita

Bangalore , India



About
Hi! This is Nishita here from Bangalore, India. I love dancing, acting and literature. A student and an aspiring actress... That's me! more..

Writing
Unshield Unshield

A Story by Nishita