Just a nap

Just a nap

A Story by Justine
"

What lengths would you go for a great nap?

"

 

Her life was a mess and nothing she did ever seemed enough to get it straightened. She hadn't slept in she didn't know how long. At least nothing that actually counted as sleep; most of the time she was too stressed or had too much to do to sleep. If she did manage to doze off it didn't last long, she'd wake up several times a night. She wasn't the type to try medication to help, never having liked the way it always left her feeling.

She glanced at the clock on the bottom of her laptop screen, on which she’d been trying to work for the past hour. It was 9pm and she just wasn't having any luck focusing. It was frustrating and she could feel herself starting to crumble under the weight of her day to day life. She felt disorganized (no matter how much she tried to organize things), stressed and like she was being pulled in a hundred different directions. She was sure the lack of sleep wasn't helping her coping skills with it all either.

She got up from her bed sliding her legs over the side, all of this having been going through her head.  She picked up a pair of jeans off of a nearby chair and slipped them on. Opening a drawer she pulled out a white fitted tee and put that on instead of the pajama t-shirt she'd been wearing. She was tired of thinking so she wasn't, she was just doing, just not sure what yet. She went to her closet and grabbed a small duffle bag off the top of her closet, packed a few shirts and a couple pairs of jeans.  She slipped on her flats, went to the bathroom grabbed a few things and tossed them into the bag. She took it out to her living room setting it on the couch. She dropped her phone into her purse then went to her hall closet, looked through her coats before deciding on a small zip-up jacket. Going back to her room she shut down her laptop and turned off her light, then returned to the living room, grabbed the duffle bag, her purse and car keys locking the door behind her. She put the bags on her passenger seat and headed for the freeway. The only thought going through her mind was wondering how long it would take to get there.

 

The white lines passed beneath her headlights as the miles went on. After a while in silence, real silence, there were no thoughts going through her mind. She no longer had the energy, her mind was just blank. She reached over and turned her radio on low. She was on the state boarder when she finally needed to stop for gas. She filled her tank, got a bag of chips, some cookies and two sodas (making sure they had plenty of caffeine), then headed back onto the road. It was 11pm and the freeway was mostly her's, she used this to her advantage.

 

She wasn't sure how long it took to get into the city. She'd lost track of time somewhere in the middle of the night and by now it was early afternoon at least. All she knew was that she was now parked at the end of his long driveway. Her ability to think suddenly came rushing back all at once and in panic mode.

What am I doing?! What was I thinking?! I wasn't... I have work to do; I have so much to do... What am I doing here?

 

There was a tap on her window that made her jump. She rolled it down. The look on his face was of near shock at the sight of her. She didn’t know what else to do so she said,

“I told you I'd surprise you one day." She smiled as she stepped out silently praying he wasn't mad. She closed her door and as she did he finally spoke.

"I can't believe you're here." Before she had time to reply he wrapped his arms around her and held her. Her small frame fit perfectly in against his body. In an instant everything washed away. All she could think was suddenly everything was alright. Everything would be alright. She didn't remember walking to the house, or into it, just when he sat her on the couch. He was still holding her, his arm around her shoulders.

"You're here." he said still sounding surprised.

"I'm here." She replied in a daze. She suddenly felt tired, very tired. Her body went limp in his arms as she relaxed into him. He pulled her back onto the couch stretched out she lay next to him, her back to the back of the couch. She laid her head on his chest with a yawn as she felt his fingers gently comb through her curls. He looked over her still unable to believe she was there laying in his arms.

"I love you." he said quietly as he kissed the top of her head gently resting his chin on it closing his eyes. She didn't hear him, she'd fallen asleep, but that was okay, he'd tell her again later.

© 2008 Justine


Author's Note

Justine
I never read my horoscope, but a co-worker was reading her's in the paper and just cause I was standing next to her I asked what mine said.
"Aries for March 06, 2008: Slow down and let others catch up. You have so much news, and with so much happening, covering all bases might be impossible. Don't try! Take a much needed time out.
Tonight: vanish. No explanations necessary."
I had thought up this story just an hour and a half before.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love the story - i think many can relate to this - fantastic!

Posted 16 Years Ago


That was really sweet. I feel like that a lot too. I'm always balancing way to much on my plate. It's nice to have someone to let go with.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2008
Last Updated on March 23, 2008

Author

Justine
Justine

CA



About
"If you wore your heart and mind outside on your forehead they'd ALL be lining up just to get a glimpse."{[♥]} **** My style of writing, if I def.. more..

Writing