Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Alex P.

After being dragged unceremoniously out of the temple, Erika was hauled up onto a horse in front of one of her captors, whose muscular arms fenced her in on either side, removing any hope of escape from her mind. He reeked of cheap ale and sweat, and the breath that fanned out against her neck instilled in her a powerful urge to retch.

Once the surprisingly small group of men organized themselves, the one with whom she rode, apparently the one in charge, lead them past the burning village. Erika stared with renewed horror at the scene; blood stained the earth red, and bodies were littered everywhere, their faces frozen in expressions of terror, or agony. The acrid smell of burning flesh seared her nose, and made her eyes water. This was horrible... How could anyone do this? The men around her jeered, apparently satisfied with the destruction they caused. The man behind her gave a sharp click with his tongue, and in response, Erika felt the horse’s muscles bunch beneath her. Then, they were flying. Away from the decimated village, away from the temple, and away from any remaining hope Erika had of going home.

The raiders’ encampment was hidden in the brush of a small alcove of oak trees. The men began dismounting and calling to the remaining occupants of the camp. Almost instantly, several boys appeared and took the horses, leading them away from the men, to let them rest. Erika blinked as the boys retreated, some casting curious looks back at her. Stable boys? She wondered.

A rough shove jerked her back to her present predicament. She stumbled forward, falling hard on her shoulder, the men guffawing at her helplessness. Then, the ropes that bound her feet were cut, and she could stand. A large man came forward and pulled her up, and then pushed her again to make her walk forward.

“I can walk thanks!” She snapped twisting around to glare at the raider, her eyes flashing angrily. The man faltered slightly surprised. Seconds later, his face contorted into an ugly expression and he raised his gloved hand with obvious intent to strike her. Erika stumbled back; however before it could make contact with her cheekbone, the raider’s hand was stopped by another.

Captive or not, a lady should never be hit, Hywel.” The man said. It appeared that the commotion had attracted the attention of a higher-up. He wore higher-quality garments than the men around him did, and his torso was protected by a blood red cuirass. The way he acted, and the way the other men shrank back away, bowing their heads, confirmed the quiet authority that seemed to surround him. His face was well defined, with a long, straight nose and a softly defined jaw. His long, dark hair was pleated and draped over his shoulder, and the polished hilt of a blade glinted at his belt.

O-of course, Sir Scarlett, apologies.” Erika listened hard to the language, but was unable to pick out anything that sounded like anything she had heard before. Of course, she assumed they were speaking Welsh, but that still did not help her. The man turned his cool gaze to Erika, assessing her. Erika stared back at him defiantly, her eyes still blazing with her anger at being manhandled. The man then stooped, and extracted a small, sharp dagger from his boot. Erika’s breath caught in her throat, and backed up again, eyes now fixated on the blade.

It is alright, I will not hurt you.” He said softly, though of course, Erika did not understand. She retreated another step, glancing between the blade and the man’s face.

“Get away from me!” She yelled in Gaelic. It was a long shot at best, however her outburst made the man pause, a bemused expression dawning on his face, and Erika’s hope rekindled.

“I was unaware that there were any Gaels this far south.” He replied in Gaelic, and chuckled when Erika’s eyes widened when she realized that she understood him. “I did not mean to frighten you. I am just going to untie your arms, they must be sore.” As he spoke, Erika became suddenly aware of the dull throbbing in her shoulders, and the tingling in her hands from the tight bindings. With a nod, she turned around for the man, and in the next instant, her arms were free. Relieved, Erika rubbed her wrists, watching him now as he put the blade away.

 

“Thank you.” She said quietly, watching him straighten up. He smiled.

“What is your name, miss?” He asked, his tone still soft, as if he were speaking to a skittish horse. Erika frowned.

“I’d like to know who I am addressing first.”

“Of course you do; my apologies.” He dipped into an elegant bow, his eyes never leaving hers, causing Erika to blush a bit. “My name is Asche Scarlett.” He smiled as he rose, then caught her hand and kissed it. Erika’s face flamed, and Scarlett’s eyes lingered on the lacerations on her wrists. “I apologize for the brutality that my men have shown you.”

“It’s fine.” Erika muttered, slipping her hand from his the moment his grip loosened. She bowed her head to try to hide her blush, but she could still see some of the men smirking. “Um… I’m Erika O’Callaghan…” She added. Scarlett tilted his head contemplatively, examining her alien style of dress.

“Where was it you were taken from, Miss O’Callaghan?” Scarlett asked. Before Erika could answer, the man with whom she had ridden stepped forward, speaking to Scarlett in Welsh. Scarlett’s eyebrows rose, and he nodded. The man cast a look at Erika that made her stomach bottom out with unease. “Perhaps we should put you with the other girl, for now.” He said softly, moving toward her. Erika tensed, however Scarlett turned her about and placed a firm hand on the small of her back, guiding her toward a guarded tent.

When he pulled back the flap to admit her, Erika saw a girl much younger than she, curled up in a corner. The tear tracks that stained her cheeks and the puffiness of her eyes showed that she had been crying. Erika entered the tent wordlessly, turning to shoot a glare at Scarlett.

“You abducted a little girl?”

“She has nowhere else anymore. You passed her village on the way here, I believe, did you not?” Erika responded with a stony silence, and then turned as Scarlett left, closing the tent behind him, and murmuring something to the guards.

Erika and the girl looked at one another, green into grey. Then, Erika smiled slightly, and went to sit on the opposite side of the tent. She tilted her head back against the fabric, and closed her eyes.

“Just great,” she muttered softly in English, “I’m stuck here now, surrounded by men with swords and bad attitudes who haven’t washed in what smells like a year, have no way of getting home…” She looked over at her brunette tent-mate. “And you probably don’t understand a word I’m saying.” She added, then looked away and sighed, closing her eyes again. A soft rustle of fabric told her that the girl had moved, and when she opened her eyes again, the girl had moved to sit right next to her, looking up at her curiously. “You can understand me?” She asked, surprised. The little brunette nodded, and Erika smiled. “Hallelujah.” She sighed, and angled herself toward her. “So what’s your name?” The girl frowned a bit, then tapped her shoulder and pointed to the ground, where she began writing in the dirt. Lana. Erika blinked at her the name, and then looked up. “You can’t speak.” She murmured, and Lana shook her head, averting her gaze. Tears welled in her eyes, and fell onto the ground.

Automatically, Erika wrapped her arm around her, and felt that she was shaking. “It’s alright.” She crooned softly, allowing the brunette to curl toward her, her petite body wracked with silent sobs. It was no wonder she was crying, her entire village had been reduced to what was now probably smoldering ash. “It’s okay, just cry, sweetie.” She murmured, stroking her hair. A frown set into her features, and her arms wrapped protectively around the broken youth. She was determined to keep at least this girl, this sole part of the village, safe.

 

*

 

Erika watched as the light began to fade outside the tent. A fire erupted beyond the entrance flaps, and she heard men beginning to gather around it for the evening. She looked at Lana, and sighed softly. The girl had cried herself to sleep an hour or so ago, still nestled in the crook of Erika’s arm. As the scent of roasting meat permeated the tent, Erika realized that she hadn’t eaten since the night previous. She closed her eyes once more, trying to think of a way to escape.

 

“Sire, may I inquire what you intended to do with the hostages?” Erika recognized Scarlett’s smooth voice, lowered so that he would not be overheard by the men. The voice that replied was lowered as well, though Erika could pick out a sort of haughtiness that lilted it slightly. Keeping her eyes closed, she turned her head to press her ear against the canvas, even though she could not understand a word. Beside her, Lana stirred, sitting up and blinking away her grogginess.

“Hostages? Did the men take another?”

“Yes my Lord, a Gael. She is peculiar, and very spirited.”

“Most are. You met her, I take it?”

“Yes, the men were becoming rowdy, and she speaks no Welsh. They were frightening her.”
          “I would expect so.”
There was a pause, in which only the crackling fire and men’s conversations could be heard. Then, the haughty-sounding man spoke again. “I will see her tomorrow morning.” Another pause, “We must decide if she is a threat or not.”

Erika frowned slightly, looking down at Lana. The girl was staring at her, and from the look in her eyes, Erika knew that she desperately wanted to communicate. I wonder why she can’t speak. Erika wondered. She gently rubbed Lana’s arm, and offered her a small smile.

Outside, the clattering of dishes could be heard, along with the soft sighs of sated men. Erika resumed her battle of wills with her growling stomach, her arm still around Lana in silent comfort and protectiveness. She didn’t think that she minded too much; Lana hadn’t moved from beside her in awhile.

When the front of the tent-flap opened, Erika shifted in front of Lana, hiding the petite brunette from view. However, it was Scarlett, though the knowledge did little to ease Erika’s nerves. He set two plates of food inside the tent, and two cups of water.

“Set them in the corner when you are done with them, I will retrieve them when I give you breakfast tomorrow morning.” He said calmly to Erika, then after a lingering stare that barely repressed his curiosity, the knight left. Erika looked at the food warily, and then glanced at Lana.

“What do you think; are they safe to eat?” She asked her, glancing back at the plates. Lana shrugged and sighed, then leaned over to cautiously pick up the platter of food, as if it would spring to life and attack her. She poked it, and then, tentatively took a bite. It seemed all right, because she kept eating it, and soon, Erika followed suit, and soon the two girls had completely devoured their rations.

Lana had curled up against Erika’s side again, and was dozing lightly with her head on the older girl’s shoulder. Erika kept a protective arm around Lana while she slept, and had a feeling that the girl took comfort in the contact. Erika was straining her ears to hear something, anything beneath the soft snores and occasional grunts of the sleeping men outside the tent. Her efforts proved fruitless, and caused Erika to begin to divert her attention elsewhere, losing herself in thought and hardly paying attention to her surroundings.

 Why was I brought here? She wondered. The question bothered her. However, the question that worried her more was how she was going to get back, if at all. Would she forever be stuck in this feudal Wales, locked away from her family and friends? The thought made her heart clench and her throat dry. She began to think of everything that happened that day. The memories played in her mind like a cinema screen, and her brow furrowed slightly. Who was that boy that she had seen? Was he all right, she wondered, or had another platoon found him and killed him? That line of thought caused a block of ice to form in the pit of her stomach. No, he couldn’t have been killed, she told herself firmly. She had to believe that.

A deep rumble of thunder pulled her from her revere and made her look up automatically at the sloping ceiling of the tent. A quick analysis of the material made her begin to wish fervently that it wouldn’t storm. Both she and Lana would be soaked; the fabric was too weak. Carefully, Erika moved Lana onto the ground, and crept toward the flap at the front of the tent. She untied it slowly, and poked her head out, looking first at the guard stationed by the tent, then at the sky. A churning mass of angry pewter clouds rolled overhead, occasionally illuminated by brief flashes of sheet lightning, which were closely followed by deafening roars of thunder that threatened to split the sky in two. Wind whipped Erika’s loose hair about her face, promising to do its best to dislodge anything that wasn’t firmly embedded into the ground.

A scuffling by the fire pit caused Erika to look over. Scarlett was watching her from his seat on one of the logs, with a drink of something in his hand. His gaze was cool and calculating once more, however this time Erika wasn’t frightened of him, as she had been the first time. He spoke the same language as she, and at least with him, she could voice her grievances.

When Scarlett saw that she didn’t back away from being seen, he took the opportunity to study the strange girl more. He had noticed earlier that day the type of clothes she wore, and he had to admit that he had never seen anything like them. She was pretty, though slightly skinnier than most men he knew would appreciate. Perhaps tastes were different where she was from. She was fearless; she was looking him in the eye with as much fire in her eyes as he’d seen the first time. Those eyes, in combination with her fiery red hair lashing about her face, made her look wild, as if simple human constraints could not tether her. She intrigued him.

Another crack of thunder caused them both to look up. Scarlett got up from his seat and nodding at Erika, disappeared into his tent. Erika cast another glance at the angry sky, and withdrew into her own. Lana had been awoken by the thunder, and when she saw the girl was no longer looking outside, hurriedly went over to Erika, her eyes wide with fear.

“It’s alright Lana, it’s just thunder.” She said softly, wrapping her arm around the girl again. “I hope it doesn’t rain though…” She frowned a bit, letting the girl lean against her shoulder. They’d be in trouble if it did.

          Luck was not on either girl’s side, and within seconds, the heavens opened up to spill their deluge of rain upon the camp. The residual embers were immediately put out with one last sputtering hiss, and the tents swayed ominously as coin-sized drops beat at their already waterlogged exteriors. Wind lashed at the crudely constructed shelters, relentless in its fierce attempt to rip them from the ground.

          Within their own tent, Lana and Erika huddled around the centre pole in a desperate attempt to keep it cemented. They hadn’t expected the wind to reach such gale-force so quickly, nor had they expected the tent wall to collapse so easily and douse them both in icy rainwater that flayed their skin raw.

Tears rolled down Lana’s cheeks, getting lost in the moisture that coated both their faces. She was curled up into a tight ball against Erika’s side, and jumped at every thunderclap. The redheaded girl sighed and stroked the other girl’s drenched hair, trying to quell her violent trembling. She was unaware of her own rapidly dropping body temperature, or the tremors that were likewise coursing through her. She was furious.

          With a sudden flash of insight, Erika got up, bringing Lana with her. Keeping the girl clutched tightly against her, she tore down the mangled tent and wrapped it around the both of them for some form of waterproofing, and then lead Lana into the trees near the tent. They slogged determinedly through the mucky undergrowth, and had to stop more than once to free their feet from the clinging brambles that tore at their ankles.

          Finally, the two girls found a solid spot against the cliff face, and huddled together beneath the sodden tent, shivering. Erika thought about making a fire, and then thought better of it; there was nothing dry to burn. Turning her back to the storm, she curled around Lana and bowed her head against the lashing winds. Eventually, the two of them fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion, and didn’t even notice when the storm broke during the middle of the night, relinquishing the skies to a tapestry of thousands of twinkling stars.

 

*

 

          The sounds of horse hooves roused Erika, and within seconds she was fully awake, all of her senses straining to verify the presence that had set her on edge. Lana woke when Erika’s arms tensed around her, and pushed herself up, rubbing her eyes to rid them of the last remnants of sleep. Erika looked over her shoulders, releasing the other girl and turned to see properly, holding the dun-coloured tent over her head to hide her flaming red hair from view.

          During their desperate attempt to shelter themselves the night previous, the two girls had stumbled upon an outcropping in the cliff side, where the mountain had been eroded into an overhanging terrace. The ground beneath them rose at a gentle incline, causing a small pool of water to form at the base, and over the years, had covered with a carpet of silt and tamped down by animals that had used the overhanging shelter in the past. Just beyond the runoff creek in front of them, Erika could see the men from the camp on foot and on horseback, no doubt looking for their missing captives. She saw one of them talking to Scarlett, who looked tense and annoyed. He was scanning the surrounding area, surveying the men and looking out for any sign of his captives. His master was furious that they had escaped in the first place.

          Just then, a man stepped out into the clearing. His cool eyes flicked around the area once, before he turned to speak to Scarlett in clipped, authoritative Welsh. From the reactions of the men, who had all dropped onto one knee in a subservient bow, this man was royalty. Even Scarlett had bowed, and he caught the man’s hand, bringing it to his lips and bowing his head against it. The man brought the men to their feet with an impatient gesture, and then spoke to them en masse in the voice that Erika had recognized from the night before. Beside her, Lana began trembling again. Erika frowned, wishing she knew Welsh, though she got the gist of the speech when the men doubled their search efforts. They were to be found, otherwise there would be severe consequences.

          Erika was at a loss for what she should do. These men obviously were not going to help her, or Lana, especially not now that they ran away. But what other choice did she have? Erika scowled and shifted into a slightly more comfortable crouch. If they hadn’t escaped when they did, they would have both been either drowned or dead from hypothermia. She had to find shelter for both their sakes. Now that the storm had passed, she did not want to go back to the camp. None of the men she had met, save for Scarlett, seemed remotely civilized. What would happen to her and Lana once the men began getting bored? She shuddered at the prospect. Lana was just a girl, she would not allow her to be subjected to anything more. She’d been through hell already.

          The jean-clad redhead was so lost in thought, that she did not notice the blonde man until he stood inches away, looking down at her.

          “Hello.” He intoned in a low voice, speaking Gaelic. Clearly, Scarlett had told him of her dialectic dilemma. Erika jumped, her grip instinctively tightening around Lana’s waist, and looked up. Her momentary fright gave way to irritation, and she sprang up, causing the man to take an involuntary step back, lest her head collide with his. She hid Lana behind her, and glared directly into his eyes.

          “Who the hell are you?” She demanded angrily, causing several shocked murmurs to erupt around her. Behind the man, Scarlett said something in clipped Welsh, causing the soldiers to quiet immediately. He advanced on the two girls, and Lana quivered, hiding herself behind Erika. Even the blonde man looked shocked, and insulted.

“I will not have you speak to my lord in such a manner, Miss O’Callaghan.” Scarlett chastised in the same clipped tone, though it only raised Erika’s hackles.

“I will speak to him how I please, he is not my superior, and he is damn well not getting my respect after the both of us nearly drowned last night thanks to his goddamn stupidity!” She snarled in return, her words directed at Scarlett, though her eyes were on the blonde. “I believe I asked you a question.” She added afterwards, eyes flashing.

The man arched a brow, and in what Erika saw as an extremely arrogant gesture, bowed and kissed her hand, then smirked up at her.

“My name is Camber, prince to the Kingdom of Powys. You must be the girl that is causing such commotion. Erika, is it?”

“You have not gotten my permission to use my given name.” Erika replied stonily.

“Miss O’Callaghan, then.” Camber was amused by this girl, and intrigued. She dressed like a man, though her clothes seemed designed to flaunt her femininity. Her eyes were as sharp as her tongue, and she hadn’t once removed her protective grip on the other girl, who was staring at him with a wide-eyed expression, as if transfixed. He swooped around Erika to catch one of the brunette’s hands, kissing the back of it, and letting his lips linger a moment longer than necessary. “And this charming girl?” He asked, looking up at Erika.

“Is no concern of yours. You’ve destroyed her life enough.” Erika moved herself between Camber and Lana, glowering. The prince straightened and smiled.

“You say you would have drowned in the storm, had you not left.” He began, holding his hands up palms facing Erika in a peaceable gesture that the girl didn’t believe for a moment. “Your actions are understandable, and therefore, no harm shall befall you. I give you my word as a prince.”

“I’ve heard too many B.S. promises from world leaders to believe that one.” Erika quipped. Interesting, Camber thought, and filed the information in his mind.

“Then what will you believe?”

“Actions speak louder than words, buddy. We left last night out of desperation. We’re two unarmed women in a camp full of stinking, sweating men armed to the teeth in everything but manners.” Erika sent a murderous glare at one of the men inching closer to snatch Lana, and pulled her closer. The brunette looked around with deer-eyes, terrified. Camber stood back a moment, tilting his head.

“Scarlett, prepare a tent on a higher bank, still within reach of the fire. Have two armed men guarding it at all times, and ensure you check on it every once in awhile. She doesn’t seem to include you among the stinking, sweating, manner-less pigs. Miss O’Callaghan; you’ve cost us a day, you will behave from now on, are we in agreement?”

“If you didn’t want the delay you shouldn’t have taken us.”

“Are we in agreement?” Camber repeated. Erika chewed on her lip, weighed her options. She had no way to keep Lana safe, no means by which to survive. She had no food, water, or heat. She had grown up in a city, and did not remember any outdoors training she may have had as a child. She was completely out of her element. Slowly, resentfully, she nodded. Camber smirked, and nodded.        

Instantly, Erika and Lana were snatched up against hard barrel chests, and, while Lana squirmed for a few minutes and then hung like a rag-doll, Erika writhed and kicked, fighting for her mobility. The man holding her snarled something in Welsh, to which Erika replied with an English cuss. Eventually, the two girls were put in a tent once again, and the flaps were tightly tied shut.

 

*

 

A sharp noise roused Erika from a restless doze. She strained to hear whatever it was again, frowning. Lana was already awake and pressed against her side, though she seemed more confused than frightened. Suddenly, the unmistakable sound of metallic weapons leaving their sheaths was heard, followed swiftly by the choking, gurgling sound of a throat being slit and the thud of a body hitting the ground. Erika lurched back when a similar, slightly more violent sound caused a splatter of dark, viscous liquid to splatter the front of the tent. She shifted protectively in front of Lana, barring the timid girl from impending harm. Had one of the men decided the temptation of two captive women too much to bear?

The two girls shook slightly, not knowing what to expect. Then, suddenly, the point of a glinting silver blade tore through the fabric of the tent, showing the silhouette of a tall man. Erika felt Lana jerk out of her grip, and the next thing the redhead knew, the other girl was cradled against the man’s chest. He spoke in soft Welsh, and when Lana pulled back to look up at him, there were tears of joyful relief in her eyes. Erika stayed pressed against the back of the tent, that is, until Lana crawled back over to her and pulled her forward, causing the man to come into sharper focus.

 He was quite tall with waist-length brown hair and intelligent, gentle grey eyes. His creamy skin held a bit of a grey tinge in the firelight, mostly clothed by a tunic made of a woven material that had been woven with several different shades, creating a subtle cross-hatching design. When he spoke to her, it was the same gentle tone as he’d used on Lana, and was still in Welsh. Erika slowly shook her head back and forth, frowning.

“I don’t speak Welsh.” She said in English. The man blinked, and then smiled.

“Then it is a good thing that I speak English.” He helped Lana out of the tent, and when she was standing, proffered a hand to help Erika out as well. “We must hurry; they will be making rounds soon.”

“Who are you?” Erika asked dazedly, staying near Lana. The younger girl seemed happy, and not at all worried about being near this particular man. In fact, now that Erika could get a better look, she realized they looked similar.

“My name is Cyrus. I am Lana’s elder brother.” He replied, glancing around as if looking for someone. “Now, please, we must hurry.”

          Cyrus silently led the two girls to the outskirts of the encampment, where a horse waited. Lana hurried over to the beast and hugged it, earning an affectionate nicker in return. Erika was still trying to take in the situation, when a man appeared as if materializing from the night itself. There was something familiar about his flaming red hair and angry teal-coloured eyes. Erika’s own eyes widened and her jaw dropped when she realized where she’d seen him before. Startling everyone present, she brought her hand up and pointed at the redheaded man.

          “YOU!”



© 2010 Alex P.


Author's Note

Alex P.
Please, I would appreciate comments on whether or not this is understandable. One of my friends pointed out that a few things in the last chapter didn't make sense, so I really would appreciate pointing out plot-line flaws

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha you sure like the cliff-hangers. I think it's great, I didn't notice any little things like in the other chapter. It's most definitely descriptive, with beautiful imagery. I'm really looking forward to chapter 3, soon? Please? :P

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's well-written and descriptive, and the imagery is abundant. It's not really my kind of story, and it was a bit difficult to stay with at times, but as far as plot-line flaws I can't really notice anything. The ending was a nice cliffhanger, haha.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

535 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2010
Last Updated on August 11, 2010
Tags: Chronos Roulette, fantasy, time, history, jackal


Author

Alex P.
Alex P.

AB, Canada



About
Amateur Herbalist | Feminist | Social and Environmental Justice Activist | Entrepreneur --- The content of this profile and all other associated content are hereby strictly prohibited from disclosur.. more..

Writing
Mindful Mindful

A Poem by Alex P.


Night Night

A Poem by Alex P.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Alex P.