Jelly, Cane Toads and a Sparkly Yellow Huffy

Jelly, Cane Toads and a Sparkly Yellow Huffy

A Poem by KWP
"

Day 13 NaPoWriMo - think of it as a partial memoir :D

"

If for some reason you were transported back in time to 1979 and you had the inkling to hide in a faraway tree with a  set of binoculars, with the sole purpose of google-eyeing me, you would have found me perched atop my ‘Yellow Huffy Sting Ray’. 

My bike, brand spankin’ new with and elongated glitter gold seat, multicoloured streamers windswept to horizontal (when I was at top speed) and a bell that only worked when it wanted. The handlebars were high like a Harley Davidson and back then there was no requirement for helmets. 

I lived with my family of five. Big sister, little brother, mum, dad, you know, normal scenario. Our house had stilts and sometimes I imagined it just upping and walking out of town, when it, like me, got sick of the neighbours. 

We lived in Mackay. Across the road from us was a disused shed which had engines and rusty cars all over the place. I never once saw anyone in there.

Down the road were sugarcane fields. Big business back then, sugarcane fields. If I stood on our house on stilts balcony and looked in the direction of the sugarcane fields, sugar cane was all I saw. My little brother and I made jumps in the fields. Not my sister, she always liked her dolls better than riding bikes over already squashed cane toads for fun.

My brother had a BMX. I loved his BMX, he could get air on his BMX. Facts are fact, Yellow Huffy Sting Ray’s are not meant for flying through the air after coming off a jump at speed. For that matter, I don’t think the Yellow Huffy was built for speed either.

There were kids up that played cricket with the cane toads while they were still alive. That never felt like the right thing to do for me. I always felt these kids were a soft in the head like lime green jelly on a stinkin’ hot tropical day. 

‘Don’t matter,’ they’d say of the toads, ‘they’re pests, my dad even tells me so.’ 

I still never saw no reason play cricket with them, the cane toads that is. 

At night I would go to sleep with the thought of riding my Yellow Huffy right over the jelly heads. I would ride over them so many times, they to would be splatter cake like the cane toads that never got out of the way of the oncoming trucks. I’d also imagine the squish noises when I rode over their brains. I’d wait ’til they dried out on the bitumen in the hot tropical sun then take them to the local market to sell as new and fashionable floor mats. I figured if people put skinned cow hide on their floor, jelly head floor mats could quite possibly be the next best thing.

Lucky for the jelly heads we moved away from the tropics, otherwise, my floor mat business would be booming right now. 

© 2017 KWP


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aloha KWP, I loved reading this. The storytelling is easy and flowing. Really kolohe (rascal) feeling about it, which though different reminds me of the adventures I had as a child. You created a series of amazing images. Cane toads are too cute for playing cricket with. Mahalo for the story. Izzy

Posted 7 Years Ago


Interesting, you seem to taunt my eyes with your small font, but otherwise... The descriptions... The elongated flow patterns... The friggin' bikes, man... I am floored by

*Down the road were sugarcane fields. Big business back then, sugarcane fields. If I stood on our house on stilts balcony and looked in the direction of the sugarcane fields, sugar cane was all I saw. My little brother and I made jumps in the fields. Not my sister, she always liked her dolls better than riding bikes over already squashed cane toads for fun."

What... Are cane toads... I must know... Stunningly penned...

Posted 7 Years Ago


i was up in a big ole oak tree watching you ride that new bile and i was jealous as hell,my bike was a junker

Posted 7 Years Ago


KWP

7 Years Ago

ha - the junker bikes are usually the best - so long as you don't play cricket with the toads - then.. read more
 wordman

7 Years Ago

no hurting the toads
Hey there KWP thanks for inviting us on your kid memory romp! This was such a neat story. Like a young person sharing feelings, thoughts and impressions. This is such a lovely look into the way a child lives and thinks. Playing and riding around the countryside and interacting with others. Yes kids do compare and compete in every way they can as I saw in your story.The shed and your sting ray and sugar can fields and all the wonderful descriptive elements really brought your memoir to life...............So glad you posted..............Bless you dear lady! Kathy

Posted 7 Years Ago


KWP

7 Years Ago

ahh thank you lovely one for reading - it was a fun write - fun to be back in far north queensland i.. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Very cool for sure and dontcha know and all that stuff. Being silly I know. Bye for now.Yes you did .. read more
'.. you would have found me perched atop my ‘Yellow Huffy Sting Ray’. '

Well now, maybe it's too early in the UK for me to be reading this, but.. I do begin to wonder just what goes on or did, down your way!

First off I laughed at your title, certainly catches the eye.. what the oh my goodness!! Then I smiled - even laughed aloud, through this write Right now, am shaking my head, wondering if tis true or not. Could be you've been to an all-night party! have you been to an all-night party! It's not what you say but how - so matter o' fact...

Seems those can toads really got to you and what fun memories! You really do vary your style. genre and yet, the quality and interest is always there! .

Posted 7 Years Ago


emmajoy

7 Years Ago

I'm still here.. fast awake.. but reading some wonderful words... yours included . How you move topi.. read more
KWP

7 Years Ago

It's this 30 day challenge - it takes you places - no holiday required X
emmajoy

7 Years Ago

Your contest is almost a discipline, isn't it? Makes you work your imagination.. think almost anyth.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2017
Last Updated on April 13, 2017

Author

KWP
KWP

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
'The kernel, the soul — let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances — is plagiarism. For substantially all ideas are sec.. more..

Writing
Lisa & Kal Lisa & Kal

A Poem by KWP



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Smoke Love Smoke

A Poem by Paul Bell