Sectando's Prison

Sectando's Prison

A Poem by Sectando

I am an innocent man
What crime have I committed?
My future lost to leave me damned
Within Sectando's prison

My cell is familiar, have I been here before?
Four walls, a window and no door.
My cellmates sit upon a shelf, 
many former cons themselves
to leave their mark upon the world
and quote the writer nevermore.

I get three meals but seldom hunger
My thoughts inflict me so.
To ask the question, yes I wonder
Upon the cot of midnight's gaze,
No whisper of a single phrase
To free me from my woe.

Forgive me God, my evil deeds
My soul cannot recall.
I have no joy of simple things
I have no joy at all.

So shall I wait upon this cot
and paint the walls with dread.
To ponder or to ponder not,
my heart constricts with every thought
I'll sit until they free me from this

Prison in my head

© 2014 Sectando


Author's Note

Sectando
Originally I had the following line written: "and quote the writer nevermore" in reference to "The Raven". It was pointed out to me that the correct word in the poem is "quoth", however the reference in the line is a play on words by Poe and is not intended to be exact. Further, it would not make sense to use "quoth" within the context. This is why I specifically chose to italicise the word "nevermore" versus the whole line, making use of the word more of a direct reference to Poe rather than the whole line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Terrifc poem… great meter and rhyme and evocative imagery. Very well done.

NOTES:
"and quote the writer nevermore." Referencing Poe, I think it should be [quoth] as that's the term used in the "Raven" It's "Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore.'”


Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Sectando

9 Years Ago

Ah..thank you for that correction and for your review. Greatly appreciated.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. And, it wasn't exactly a "correction." It was a recommendation that I just thought w.. read more



Reviews

This poem is honestly so wonderful and I find it impossible to fault. I love the story that is shared and I love the rhythm when I read it out. Well done, definitely one of the best poems I've come across lately, you should be extremely proud.


Posted 7 Years Ago


This is beautiful! Absolutely moving!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Makes me wonder how many innocent men and women get locked up each year. Interesting poem though and very well wrote.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando, your poem so elengantly describes the way, agoraphobia traps us, within our own mind, without hope of release. A reality, I have faced, on numerous occassions, in my own life. Am hoping, you're free of this prison, to enjoy life, and the freedoms, associated with it.

Sorry, Sectando, for my slow return to your reviews.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sectando

9 Years Ago

No worries, and yes these days I'm doing much better. Thank you.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome, Sectando, and that's great news.
This poem is marvelous! It flows very nicely

Posted 9 Years Ago


This has tension, I shall think of this for a while after I have read it again, powerful :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words, Ruth.
I love the dark of this poem of yours, Sectando. I relate pretty much. I was in that prison during my two lost decades. Climbing out was not easy, but I figured out, finally, how to do it. I'm grateful. I still write dark every so often, but not as much as used to.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I like that it rhymes! Rhyming, of course, is not currently in vogue, and also hard to do, which is why I like it!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Autumn! Glad you like it.
This is very well written. I actually have a piece of prose written to a real prisoner to whom I exchanged love letters with last year. It's called "Overflows" you can check it out.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Incredible. I love this piece! I like the allusion to Edgar Allen Poe. I especially love the line, "To ponder or to ponder not, my heart constricts with every thought." Brilliantly worded and the rhyme is perfectly placed. The most interesting part is the twist at the end, that the prison is not indeed real, but simply a metaphor to the caged, trapped feeling the narrator experiences. Great idea, and the message is meaningful. Wonderful read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, Justin. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1453 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 7, 2014
Last Updated on October 8, 2014
Tags: depression, gloom, dark, sectando, prison, thoughts

Author

Sectando
Sectando

NH



About
I am... -confused -lost -searching for self identity -searching for my passions -searching for anything i can enjoy -passionate -a failure -a winner -an "idiot" -an old soul -difficult -.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Confide Confide

A Poem by A. Amos


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil