Cash Only

Cash Only

A Chapter by Jordan
"

The trigger was the words 'cash only.'

"

Times have been tough lately, have been for all of us. I found myself walking yet again to a banker to squeeze out what little money I could for food.

 

"Hand in the scanner," the man behind the glass said, "hold still."

 

Bankers, they're like vampires. Always looking to suck the life out of you. Bet I couldn't kill one if I tried. It's an unfortunate fact that most of us rely on them to survive. Need money? Come begging to them to -ouch!- give you whatever pocket change they can find laying around.

 

There's talk among the older of us that there was a time when we were all rich. So rich in fact that even the poorest man could waste whatever he wanted and still have more than enough to live on. They had mansions and ponds, lights to see at night with, the hardly walked anywhere because there were a lot more working cars back then.

 

"Alright, sir. All finished." the man said.

 

Finally. That was getting really painful. That's the other thing, back then they say oil was the blood of the economy. Now, the blood of the economy is well...blood.

 

"I was only able to get a pint and a half. After tax, that's gonna be about $7."

  "$7?! Last week I got $10 and only gave a pint!"

   "I'm sorry, sir. How do you want that to be payed?"

    "Cash."

 

Like I said. Times have been tough lately. What I wouldn't give to have been born back then. Better hurry to the bread station. Luckily I have enough money to survive until next week.

 

"Give me whatever I can get."

  "Sorry, guy. We don't accept cash."

 

You've got to be kidding me. What now? Do I walk in with a smile? Or just cry?



© 2015 Jordan


Author's Note

Jordan
I used to write a lot on typetrigger.com

They would put out a new trigger, which was a word or a couple words, every 8 hours. You would then write something that was inspired by it in 300 words or less.

I cracked open my old account to bring you all my lovely creations.

The trigger for this one was the words 'cash only.'

Not too sure why I went this direction with it. I think it came from me writing in Nova City at the time. Nova City has a weird black market currency where you can sell 'flesh', blood, and organs for regular everyday cash.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

165 Views
Added on July 17, 2015
Last Updated on July 17, 2015


Author

Jordan
Jordan

Writing
The Muse The Muse

A Story by Jordan


One One

A Chapter by Jordan