Yellowing Newspaper

Yellowing Newspaper

A Story by Kaitlin Shea

            “Yellowing newspaper.”

            “What?” I looked up from the crossword in my lap that was crinkled ever so slightly from my frustration"what is a four letter word for fleeting?"and up at my little sister. Her eyes, so gigantic and blue, never failed to shock me; as if just the sheer fact that they were big meant they could take in so much more. Despite the fact that she was four years younger than me, I always felt like she knew so much more than I did--that somehow, she was too wise for me to fully understand.

            “It’s yellowing newspaper,” she said, blinking with those enormous eyes; those miniature tide pools. “Today, my teacher asked what the single saddest thing we could think of is. And when she got to me, I had nothing. I told her that the saddest thing is seeing a dead dog on the side of the road, but I don’t even know why I said that. That’s not the saddest thing. It doesn’t even make the list.”

            I looked at my sister with the same bewilderment I always did. I sat silent, crossword forgotten in my hand, and waited for her to go on; for her to catch me up. But she didn’t. “Yellowing newspaper?” I prompted, frowning.

            “Yes,” she said, her voice dropping several decibels lower. “It’s living proof of time passing. People say time isn’t concrete; that it doesn’t exist except inside of our minds. But yellowing newspaper is proof that time does exist; that today’s news will be faded in a month; that a good day will soon be just a blurry vision in the backs of our minds. Flowers, people; they grow. You can see time passing; changing them. But newspaper fades away, shrinks. And the thought that the words of today will be yellowed paper in a month, it’s so sad.” She stopped. She turned back to the TV and turned up the volume as if that was all she had to say. I glanced back down at my crossword. A four letter word for fleeting…

            Time. 

© 2010 Kaitlin Shea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting look at time.
Some of your quotation marks in the beginning though threw me off, I think you placed them incorrectly.
Not a bad micro story though.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Another brilliant story :) It's a challenge to take something so short and give it such a big message, but you've managed to do that. Great job again!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2010
Tags: Time

Author

Kaitlin Shea
Kaitlin Shea

GA



About
I'm Kaitlin. I love to write almost anything, but "About Me" sections are the exception. Okay, let's see. The favorite authors would be George Orwell, John Green, and Ellen Hopkins. I also have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


To Socialize To Socialize

A Poem by Therene