The Bonfire

The Bonfire

A Story by Kaitlin Ann

It was once a Halloween night, and I was walking home after a long day of adulthood, mostly sitting at my desk and squinting my eyes from the bright spotlight that hung over me. I was almost sprinting home with excitement, not even giving a second glance to the witches and badly wrapped mummy's passing by, they must have thought I was a strange witch, with my messy hair I created from my pen passing through strands of hair, my long black coat which my mother had gotten me... well probably for her amusement, and not forgetting the hat... my lovely hat, hand made, well detailed and not a word more of my precious hat! 

As I was "sprinting" home, something caught my eye... something that made me stop, made me bewildered. I walked up close to the low stone wall and leaned forwards for a better view. "Its a bonfire, how sweet" I thought, a group of boys were spread around in a circle, having a good time and drinking cola in front of a huge lit fire that even where I was standing, I could feel the warmth. I knew I couldn't stay long just watching them or I would really be a witch so I turned around and made my way to the edge of the pavement to cross the road, but before I could someone shouted out behind me that just pulled me towards the bonfire again, those words were "give me another book!"

I leaned against the coldness of the wall, this time with force. I saw the oldest boy who shouted, he was the closest to the fire messing with his friends, pretending to jump in, but in his hands were books and I could tell those boys weren't there to read, they became chanting "MICHEAL! MICHEAL! MICHEAL!" and so Micheal dropped the books right into the burning flames, soon the rest were joining in, throwing the books around the fire. I could not handle what the meaning was for this, I was shocked, I didn't know what to do, do I just walk away!?, do I call someone?, Do I confront them? One of the boys shouted out "I wonder if the Hunger games: Catching Fire, really catches on?" and in it went with the flames rising. I panicked and gave out a small scream, a scream they could hear and fled.  

I squeezed through a small opening in the wall and ran to the bonfire. It wasn't far as I expected it to be, no wonder they heard me scream, when I reach the place they fled, the flames were getting stronger and dangerous, I could feel myself suffocating from the heavy flumes. The books laid down near the rising heat, I bend down and grabbed as many as I could, I would have kept going until a tug came at my foot, it was a man. He dragged me out and my screams were getting more intense, trying to push myself back in, doing this so made me drop half of my books and just made me give up. I was burning up, I felt burnt everywhere and just collapsed into the mans arms. As he carried me off somewhere, he looked down at me "You know girl, that was crazy" he said with a laugh, I gave a smile back, he will never know how much books matter. He went off again, still managing to carry me "Hey, stay awake! I'm Micheal, what's your name!?" I only noticed, Micheal was no boy, he was a young man, but I could not stare long with my eyes sore from the blazing heat that I drifted into a comfortable dream in Micheal's arms.

© 2015 Kaitlin Ann


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015
Tags: Drama, short story, teen

Author

Kaitlin Ann
Kaitlin Ann

Dublin, Ireland



About
Write to inspire yourself, at first others will not see and try to discourage you from your path, but once you feel you have succeeded the others will conceal or be inspired as you were from the begin.. more..

Writing
My Mommy My Mommy

A Poem by Kaitlin Ann