Duck Food

Duck Food

A Story by Purple Haze
"

A Story for James E. Green's contest: Prompt Contest No.1 - DUCK. This is also my first story.

"
 Jane stepped out of the car and breathed the fresh air. She loved the park: the trees, the green, the lake, the children playing... But most of all, she loved the ducks. She loved to throw bread for them, and watch as they swam over, and greedily gobbled it up; she loved their shiny bodies, and their green, bobbing heads... The list could go on forever. She closed the door and went to the boot, which she opened and got a loaf of bread from it (Hovis - only the best for her little darlings). Smiling, she closed the boot, locked the car, and started walking towards the lake.
As she followed the stony footpath between the forest and the green, she watched the world go by in the field. Children were running and screaming, and sitting and eating, and parents were chasing their children, or relaxing on the ground. Still smiling, Jane carried on walking. 
And then, out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw something. She stopped, and looked in the woods, she was sure she had seen something moving. She looked for a minute - nothing - and looked for another minute - still nothing. "It must have been a kid playing chase or something," she sighed, and hurried on.  
Five minutes later, she saw it again, only this time it was closer, and clearer. Out of the corner of her eye, she had seen the outline of a large duck running through the forest. She was scared now... "Th, Th... That duck was... nearly... well, it must have been taller than me!" she exclaimed. She closed her eyes, and calmed herself down. "Must be rational: there is NO way there could have been a duck that big," she said to herself, "I must be imagining it."
But still, she ran down to the lake where her precious little duckies (not a massive one in sight) were waiting for her. She smiled again, and sat down on the bench. The ducks were already swimming towards her. She opened the loaf of bread, and set it beside her on the bench. Pulling out a slice, and tore it into strips, throwing each one into the lake. The ducks happily gobbled each and every one. 
The water started to bubble.
Not taking any notice, Jane threw some more bread in for the ducks, and they yet again gobbled it down.
The water bubbled furiously.
Jane was now a little worried, but she still threw some more bread in. The sight of the ducks eating calmed her again. She smiled. 
And then it happened. A duck came tearing out of the now frothing water and flew straight towards Jane. But this wasn't any duck. This was a humungous duck. It was a duck the size of a large car. Jane screamed, and fell backwards off the chair. The duck flew towards her, and Jane scrambled to her feet and tried to run. But in that moment, Jane looked into the duck's eyes. They were bright red. They were hypnotizing. Jane tried harder and harder to run, but she couldn't. The monstrous duck then quacked, but it was more like a roar, and, as Jane noticed as she closed her eyes in terror, It's breath STANK! It smelt like fish, but worse. It smelt like a mountain of fish that had been left to rot in the hot sun for months. Jane prayed for a quick death, and she got it. The duck opened its terrible beak, and bit Jane's head clean off. It tore her limb by limb. The only trace of her ever being there was the car in the car park, and the bread on the bench.
Jane loved feeding the ducks, but she never thought that she would one day become the food herself.

© 2009 Purple Haze


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the duck contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


The duck ate her! That's mean. Nice story, sam. The duck's breath sound like my dog's breath...

Posted 14 Years Ago


a bit random by fairly good


Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2009
Last Updated on May 20, 2009

Author

Purple Haze
Purple Haze

St. Ives, United Kingdom



About
I like... hmm... well... I like reading, I like writing (I'm not that good at it), I like computer games, I like maths (yes, maths... 1+1=2 and all that)... I like sleeping! I can't think of much el.. more..

Writing
Dark One Dark One

A Book by Purple Haze