Cherries Morality

Cherries Morality

A Story by Karen Redburn

Mama Cherry baked a pie and set it on the sideboard to cool. Across the way she saw the neighbor, gossipy was her brew. She went to close the blinds real tight, but Prune Nilda was too close behind.


"Good day to you Cherry" Prune Nilda said.


"Good afternoon" Cherry replied.


"Did you hear what that son in law of yours has been up to?" as into Cherry's house Prune did slither.  


Cherry rolled her eyes heavenward. “No Prune Nilda, but I guess in me you are about to confide."  


"I have it on good authority" Prune beamed "he has broken the law." 


Cherry couldn't believe what she was hearing, she really wanted Prune to go. But as gossipy ear worms tend to be the rest she needed to know. "Tell me Prune" Cherry did say "why would he do such a thing?"


Prune Nilda smiled, knowing she'd won and Cherry was in her rumour trap. “Well he was renovating a bar for Mr. Needer and the old man couldn't pay. Needed to cover the reno costs so he had the lad break the place up one day.


"Blasphemous, venomous Prune you're a snake who gets off on telling tales. Be gone with you now and stop babbling gossip or I'll make that forked tongue of yours wail." 


Later that day Cherry's daughter arrived for a nice little visit and pie.


Cherry wasted no time in chastising her  "My goodness girl who did you marry? This man has done terrible things and him you continue to carry.  


"Goodness mother what are you saying, whatever does this mean?"


"Your wonderful man has broken a pub its construction all but foiled it seems. Paid off by that dog Needer for the purpose of fraudulent schemes. D****t girl, why didn't you pick a man who believed in God"  


"But my dear sweet mother, my man has no pub. Where are you hearing these lies?"

 

Daughter of mine do you think me a fool? I know he's been working over there. The police were called to the scene of vandalism, broken bottles lay everywhere. Tell me the truth did he sack the place? Oh my, oh my what a disgrace."


"Mother why are you pushing this so? What are you trying to say because I really don't know?"


"The man he was working for paid him off to do the dirty deed. It leaves me curious which one was creative and came up with that demon seed?"


"Oh mother things happen you should know that by now, why are you sweating this one? Stop and settle down, take a deep breath you're turning so red... WOW!"


"Because sweet child it breaks my moral code as sin draws quickly near. The guilt and shame see it over that hill elated it's coming in here."  


"But mother you've lived long enough, you must by now understand. Life can be hard and babies need feeding not everyones dad's kind of man." 


"My dear, my darling I know there is wrong, but never so close to me here. I stay set apart because these dilemma's make the brain slip a gear. Now to consider, oh what shall I do? I must turn this young man in. For if I leave it and let it go, then I have committed the sin." 


Just then the son in law poked his head out of the car. He knew there was trouble, but didn't think it would get this far. "Mother, mother please understand, I did what I had to us do not ban."


"Come on mother, the babies must eat and work is hard to find. What will you do turn him in and remove us from your mind?"


"My dears you break my heart and force me into sin. I must put the kettle on and have some tea, do you want to come in?"


© 2018 Karen Redburn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There's so much here! Wow! First, interesting choice to use "Cherry" and "Prune" in this story. I could probably analyze and interpret those choices well beyond what you imagined. So, I won't speak to the names.

Second, I like how you use "gossip" (arguably a sin itself) as a mechanism to convey the gossiper's self-righteous tale. Hypocrite, Prune Nilda? And, of course, Cherry has her own self-righteous streak, perhaps only slightly more self-aware than Prune.

The takeaway for me is how even in a "black and white" (i.e., right and wrong) world, we like to paint with gray. The gray areas, outside the lines, are the rationalizations. It's the BS we rehearse in our minds before and spew after we commit a wrong that's the foundation for psychology and red meat for philosophical discussions.

Yes, I'd like to know the rest of this story. Still, what I read here is more than sufficient for hours of thinking (especially for us nerds who like this philosophical stuff). Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Thank you for commenting. I am taken by your review of the story. Here I thought I was writing a sim.. read more
R.E. Ray

6 Years Ago

First, I like Cherry. So, bring it on. And, you've probably figured out now that I think deeply ab.. read more
Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

I like her too she's trying! I hadn't noticed you're a deep thinker :) Happy Saturday!



Reviews

Has the sound of a fable. Is it to be continued?

Posted 4 Years Ago


Hey I really like this. You made it a lot of fun to read :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


lol love the ending love the mum the back lash of that certain life style you captured in a way of disguise it was lovely i hate you your so talented

Posted 6 Years Ago


Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Oh hogwash! You stories are creative and show immense talent! Thanks for stopping by danny!
danny

6 Years Ago

welcome loved it
:))))) Cherry and Prune :)))) our morality at times goes not even to the end of our nosey nose noses ... my survival working for many years as an RN quickly made me aware of the chickens circling ... peck peck peck ..whoever not there fair game ..it amazed me ...i confess with a bit of pride that i also learned to shake me head , walk away and go make a pot of coffee ... thank the Lord for our breakroom coffee pot ;)
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Ha, and Cherries walks away and makes that pot of tea. There really is something to be said for the .. read more
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

:) ....................
There's so much here! Wow! First, interesting choice to use "Cherry" and "Prune" in this story. I could probably analyze and interpret those choices well beyond what you imagined. So, I won't speak to the names.

Second, I like how you use "gossip" (arguably a sin itself) as a mechanism to convey the gossiper's self-righteous tale. Hypocrite, Prune Nilda? And, of course, Cherry has her own self-righteous streak, perhaps only slightly more self-aware than Prune.

The takeaway for me is how even in a "black and white" (i.e., right and wrong) world, we like to paint with gray. The gray areas, outside the lines, are the rationalizations. It's the BS we rehearse in our minds before and spew after we commit a wrong that's the foundation for psychology and red meat for philosophical discussions.

Yes, I'd like to know the rest of this story. Still, what I read here is more than sufficient for hours of thinking (especially for us nerds who like this philosophical stuff). Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Thank you for commenting. I am taken by your review of the story. Here I thought I was writing a sim.. read more
R.E. Ray

6 Years Ago

First, I like Cherry. So, bring it on. And, you've probably figured out now that I think deeply ab.. read more
Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

I like her too she's trying! I hadn't noticed you're a deep thinker :) Happy Saturday!
SO very well written here, like this , kinda powerful and intriguing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Things in that family seem a mess. Should Cherry take the word of Prune as the gospel? Perhaps the accused can explain himself?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

Haha, they sure are Sam. I read a story on morality today and thought it might be fun to mess around.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

556 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 19, 2018
Last Updated on January 19, 2018
Tags: morals, morality, sin, mothers, daughters

Author

Karen Redburn
Karen Redburn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
Life long reader, who loves to write. Interested in connecting with other writers through their writings, sharing ideas and reviews. more..

Writing
Spring Spring

A Poem by Karen Redburn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Woman's Heart A Woman's Heart

A Poem by Dara