Morning Walk

Morning Walk

A Story by Kat Blair
"

Reader taking an early morning walk...

"
The air smells like earth and rain. Cold and damp, it slithers through the gaps in your clothing, finding its way to your warm skin and sinking into your bones. You can't help but shiver.
Sunlight is falling gently from the sky, rather floating, down through the dewy mists. This early light is more silvery than any other. Where dusk's illumination is fiery and deep, dawns is pale and noninvasive. At least for now.
Your feet find their way along the sidewalk, down the quiet, familiar street. There is no birdsong at this hour, at least not here. Or perhaps it's too cold for birds.
No, the only sound is your whisper-like breathing, and the rhythmic echo of your footsteps, one after the other against the frozen spring pavement.
The only voices are your thoughts, singing long-ago songs in the back reaches of your mind. Replaying over and over that unforgettable melody whose name you can't seem to remember. Telling you stories of what this arising day might bring.
The sky above you turns a lighter, brighter blue. The sun itself is more distinct than before, as you find your eyes adjusting to its ever expanding illumination. 
You've made it to the end of your quiet back road. You hear distant cars as the world awakes. Taking one last look back at the simple, silently comforting houses you are leaving behind, you turn the corner...
and disappear with the dawn.  

© 2014 Kat Blair


Author's Note

Kat Blair
A short, reader involving journey down a quiet side-road.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sounds like my life,and most likely, not only my own, great imagery, I feel I am the"you" in the story

Posted 10 Years Ago


Yes, I really liked the rhythmic, encompassing description of the setting. It is also interesting to read a story from the second person, and this is an instance of it done well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kat Blair

10 Years Ago

Thanks man:)
Very nice! A feast for the senses. I enjoyed the walk you took me on.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"dawn's is pale and noninvasive." In this section you do not need the apostrophe 's' if you are using the word 'is'. My only suggestion with this piece is to make your font one or two sizes bigger. I loved the imagery in this short story. You really paint a detailed environment!

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kat Blair

10 Years Ago

Haha thank you! My grammar does need some work...
And indeed, bigger font would help.
Th.. read more
Stefanie Holmes

10 Years Ago

The bigger font is much better! :) You're welcome... I enjoyed the read!
Kat Blair

10 Years Ago

Good! Glad it helped
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ANM
Well done really puts the reader on the walk with you great description,for me the most important element of writing if the reader cannot see it it is not working!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kat Blair

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. And I agree, you must see it to believe it.
ANM

10 Years Ago

You are very welcome! How is the Seattle tower getting on went up it many years ago!
Kat Blair

10 Years Ago

It's as iconic as ever;)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2014
Last Updated on March 5, 2014
Tags: Walk, dawn, morning, quiet, alone

Author

Kat Blair
Kat Blair

Seattle, WA



About
A true-blue Seattleite. Mainly a songwriter, but enjoys delving in to any sort of lyrical, written storytelling.. more..

Writing
Worrier Worrier

A Poem by Kat Blair


Thief Thief

A Story by Kat Blair


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by Kat Blair