The QRS Complex

The QRS Complex

A Poem by Kathryn
"

Instructions on how to live: Create the P wave, the QRS complex, the T wave....repeat.

"

Oceans bloom in my eyes

And rivers start their journey at the corners.

Water travels over cheek bones and into nose crevices.

A salty residue paints lines of weariness over my skin.

There is exhaustion in my exhalations.

There is surprise in the inhalations.

Streams blossom on my face and curve around

What used to be a smile.

The slow decay of dancing lips left behind a graveyard stump,

Now quivering and becoming wet.

From the chin, drips a steady, silly row of teardrops:

“Drip-drop, drip-drop,” they muster as they fall to the ground.

Each one is a silent prayer, a passive pleading,

“Please, won’t you come back to life?”

Come back to me?

I bring my hand to my mouth and into it

I begin to whisper the 22nd Psalm.

Emotions engulf; I weep

A quiet, sad noise.

Joan, just let him go.

 

But, my heart beats.

                           My heart beats.

            My heart beats



For Him.

 

© 2009 Kathryn


Author's Note

Kathryn
Let me know what you think. Something new for me. Creativity just made me write something; I'll try to decided how "brilliant" it is in the morning.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Got to say that i love this one! I wrote a nice long review but then my computer crashed... alas... so here's a shortened version. Amazing Imagery, love it, love it alot. First line and it hits you, very very good. Last part very good, makes you feel the heartbeat. Great. If I had to critic I would say that it could have been more flowing, but that is really not for me to say, because you know how you want this one to sound. Erm... I think that's everything wrote... had a gander at your artwork also... very good if I may say so :)
lovely lovely "brilliant" yes.
:)

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'm thinking your decision won't be too difficult. Brilliant is too weak of a word to describe this. Love the layers, symbolism and pain. You are a fantastic writer.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'm thinking your decision won't be too difficult. Brilliant is too weak of a word to describe this. Love the layers, symbolism and pain. You are a fantastic writer.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Excellent. I like this much. "The slow decay of dancing lips left behind a graveyard stump." - soooo good. And a great closing line.
You don't have to decide whether it's brilliant, 'cause I'll tell you it is.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a very well put together piece. It's flows well, but more than anything, the content of each and every line pulls the reader further in. We can definately understand the narrator's pain, and almost feel it ourselves. This is a very strong, emotional piece that reminds us all of times in our own lives when we yearned so strongly for times past and just couldn't seem to let go. The portrait your words painted of the tears running down Joan's face were amazing. I particularly enjoyed the first four lines, as they all tie in together so well. Oceans feeding salt water into rivers that reach every crevice of one's face, leaving residue of weariness as it soaks pain through into our souls. This is a great piece Kathryn and I would love to see you paint a portrait of Joan during this time in her life. Keep up the good worl. ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this. So weird how every moment lost seems like the most romantic, greatest time in your life. How you can't decide what happens and, if you could, you would both be happy, together, forever....I wish I could do that. The ending is great. I love the repetition and the way you structured it and then the lines, "For him". So beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2009
Last Updated on April 10, 2009

Author

Kathryn
Kathryn

Chapel Hill, NC



About
Here lies pieces of who I am. As for all my poems and stories: read them, take them for what they are worth, comment on them, leave criticism... but above all else, let yourself enjoy it, relat.. more..

Writing
Sunrise Sunrise

A Poem by Kathryn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..