Mama

Mama

A Chapter by Katie Nimmo

Chapter 1

"Aplington, a small village nestled in glorious countryside deep in the south east of England, has officially entered into the top 20 best places to live in England. This comes after thorough investigations of many aspects of local life in the quiet village including their annual flower festival and contributions to local charities."

"Aplington you say? Why does that name ring a bell?" Mama pondered. "It's nice to hear Mary," she continued, "but I really don't know why you find it necessary to read it out loud."

"I'm just getting to that bit." I hollered back, rolling my eyes as I said it. I couldn't see Mama through the kitchen wall but I knew she was rolling her eyes back at me. With a deep breath I continued reading.

"However, bitter rivalries from nearby villages have come forward with implications that Aplington is not as ideal as it seems."

"Well of course they're going to say that. Bitter rivalries and all that." Mama replied sarcastically, popping her head through the kitchen hatch.

"Hang on Mama, here's the interesting bit." I replied, getting frustrated. Getting off the sofa I moved over to the hatch and continued reading.

"Ideas that come from unanswered questions from long ago, mainly involving an old derelict stone masons, now known as Mason House."

"Now what do you suppose that is hinting at?" I asked, propping myself through the kitchen hatch dropping the newspaper on the kitchen counter.

"Who knows?" Mama shrugged, teapot in one hand, milk jug in the other. "Might be a nice juicy murder," she laughed, glancing at the paper.

"Might well be," I replied laughing at how blunt she was being. "One of those unsolved cases that gets forgotten about."

"Mmmm...."

Looking up I saw Mama had picked up the paper and was engrossed in the article I had just been reading to her, apparently not listening to a word I was saying.

"Could be a big fat case of jealousy or you never know, it could be some scandal that Aplington would rather keep quiet."I added, though the conversation seemed to be 95% one sided.

"Mmmmm could be."

"It's probably as you say Mama 'bitter rivalries and all that'. Jealousy isn't a pretty thing." Resting my chin on my hand I deliberated just how far some people would go to strip Aplington of their new found fame.

"Aplington....." Mama blurted suddenly, so loudly it made me jump. Snapping out of my daydream I realised she was thinking out loud.

"Why do I know that name?" Mama mumbled. She looked so confused, trying to remember something but not knowing what it was she was trying to remember. A knot in a piece of rope would be helpless in Mama's case.

Jumping down from the kitchen hatch I swung round into the kitchen itself. Our kitchen was a good size but nothing special. Wooden cupboards with black marble worktops, little brass handles and patio doors leading to a small garden. Orange and brown tiles round the wall made it seem smaller than it was, but it was cosy. No place like home as it's said.

Smiling to myself I watched Mama subconsciously pick up her teacup whilst reading the paper only to find nothing in it. Just like Mama, her mind always elsewhere. She was getting on a bit now, I thought to myself. I'd known her my whole life and she was still as docile as she ever was. Her grey curls and knitted cardigans were so full of life no one would believe she was in her 80s. Mama was the only name I'd ever had for her since she'd fostered me, and it really suited her. Everyone called her Mama, even the local clergyman. All the local folk loved her nearly as much as I did, even the busy bodies in the post office. In her time she'd fostered a lot of children and she's remained in touch with their new families. All of them have left the village now but I vowed to remain at home as it was her turn to be loved and looked after.

Pouring myself a cup of tea from the pot and topping up Mama's, though I don't think she noticed, I wondered towards the patio doors. As I got to the doors I took a sideways glance back into the kitchen to see Mama once again subconsciously lift her cup, only to grimace at it's new hot contents. Chuckling to myself I went out into the garden.

Strolling down the garden my mind wandered back the newspaper article. I'd never cared much for news but for some reason there was something in this story that stood out somehow. I'd never been there and there was nothing unusual about competition among nearby villages, so why was I so intrigued? Sipping my tea I shivered as the autumn breeze blew and rustled up the colourful leaves on the ground. Definitely getting colder I thought. With a sigh I reluctantly cut my trip outside short in admittance that it was too cold to stay out for too long. Halfway up the garden I stopped. All of a sudden I had an unnerving feeling, one of those feelings where you feel you're being watched. Looking ahead to the house Mama was nowhere to be seen at the windows so it wasn't her. Taking a peek at both neighbouring fences there was no one there either. Cautiously I ventured over to one of the fences in case whoever it was had crouched down out of sight. Nothing at the first fence so I tried the other, nothing. Despite checking the perimeter I still had an uneasy feeling. Turning my head very slowly I peered down towards the back of the garden. It was starting to get dark so I couldn't see very much, the wind was picking up as well and I'm sure I felt a spot of rain. Taking a big gulp I hastily made my way back to the house and jumped in the kitchen door making doubly sure it was locked properly. For a couple of minutes I stayed looking out the door into the garden waiting for some movement but none came. Shaking my head I cursed myself and my over active imagination. Time for another cup of tea. 'Solution to everything,' smiling at Mama's words I put the pot on.

After making my tea I went to find Mama to tell her what happened in the garden but it turned out she'd gone to bed already. She was getting on a bit so it didn't surprise me when she had early nights. She needed her rest and so did I. Until now I hadn't realised how tired I actually was, certainly explains my imagining things in harmless gardens. Scuffling to my room I closed the door and huddled the radiator for a while, it really was chilly tonight. I loved my room it was small but had everything I needed. A single bed, chest of drawers, a small closet and a desk with a cushioned chair. Money had never blessed us so we lived a simple life, but we were happy in our little abode. Despite money problems and cold winters the good times always outweighed the bad. So many happy memories in our little home, sitting on the bed I dwelled in good times gone by as I drifted off into a well needed sleep.

Opening my eyes it didn't take long to realise that it hadn't taken me long to fall asleep last night as I was still fully dressed and somehow still sitting up on the bed in exactly the same position I fell asleep in. Gazing out the window it looked like a beautiful day, bold blue skies and I could only count two clouds in the sky. Tuesday! Now I was wide awake, I loved Tuesdays. Every Tuesday me and Mama do our chores in the morning, then I run down to the village and get some teacakes from the bakery and we have an afternoon tea with our tea set. I bounced off the bed and got myself dressed, a blue polo neck and jeans to keep out the autumn chill. Skipping downstairs I got myself some tea and toast for breakfast while mentally filing through all the chores for the morning. Grabbing the mop and bucket out of the pantry I momentarily paused as I glanced at the clock above the door.

"Nine a clock's a late one for you Mama," I said to myself. Raising my eyebrows I carried on with kitchen. Maybe Mama wasn't feeling too well, the last thing I wanted to do was disturb her if she wasn't well. So I plodded on with all my usual Tuesday chores as well as doing the extra bits Mama did making sure the scene was set for our special afternoon tea. Finally, with a big puff of relief, at twelve thirty I finished all the chores and put the cleaning accessories away.

Next on my list was to get our special teacakes from the village. So grabbing my coat and outdoor shoes I headed off down the country lane. The ten minute walk to the village was an enjoyable stroll with a carpet of green fields surrounded by tall evergreen trees. I took a deep breath of fresh air as I continued down the path. Turning round a bend I almost collided with our local doctor.

"Doctor Pemberton! I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were coming." I half gasped with alarm.

"Hello Mary. No no don't you worry your pretty little self about that, entirely my fault." With a smile he carried on his way up the lane I'd just come from.

Watching him go I noticed he was in quite a hurry, must be late for a home appointment I concluded. I did like Dr Pemberton, he was a middle aged man and a little bit chubby. He was a very chatty man which is why I was a little surprised he didn't stay and talk for a bit. He and his wife have been living in the village longer than I had, but he'd known Mama a long time before I came along.

Recuperating after my near mishap I persevered towards the village. On arrival I noticed Reverend Norwick coming out of the teashop so I waved him down. His tall slim figure and glasses made him very easy to pinpoint in a crowd. Even though he was tall he moved with such grace it was like he floated everywhere, which I thought was a lovely asset to him with him being a reverend.

"Good afternoon reverend."I greeted him heartily.

"Ah good morning Mary my child, and what a lovely day today. God is certainly smiling on us today." He gestured to the clear blue skies above with a gleaming smile.

"He certainly is." I smiled back. "What are your plans for the day?"

"Well as a matter of fact I am a man of leisure for the remainder of the day, my sermon is all ready for tomorrow's chapel service so now I'm free as a dove. Ah now before I ask you what you're up to Mary I'm going to say that as it's Tuesday you are visiting the bakery." Grinning at me he knew he was right.

"You are right as always," I laughed. "Actually reverend, I'm not sure but I think Mama may be under the weather as she hasn't emerged from her room yet today. I've done the housework and still no sign of her. Do you think maybe you could pop over and see her today, I'm sure she'd like to see you?"

"Yes I should enjoy that, we go back a long way your Mama and me." He said rubbing my head with his hand making me squirm a little. " Yes I'll go see her this afternoon."

"Thank you reverend." I said graciously.

"I'll go over now I think. This beautiful day cannot be wasted indoors. I'll be seeing you later Mary." With a tip of his hat he floated off towards our house.

Right, I thought to myself. Teacakes. The bakery was very quiet today which was good for me because I was served straight away. I got the teacakes and treated myself to a hot chocolate to drink on the way home. The walk back was just as pleasant as the walk there with a different view of all the greenery. Approaching the bend from earlier I subconsciously slowed down in case of another potential collision. Looking as I went there was no one coming the other way so I picked up my pace again, laughing at myself for actually slowing down.

Getting back to the house I went straight to the kitchen to deliver the teacakes to the counter. Removing my outdoor wear into the pantry I noticed there was still no sign of Mama. Frowning I scampered upstairs to try Mama's bedroom door, I raised my hand to knock and stopped, hand mid air hovering by the door. That feeling was back. Only instead of the unnerving feeling of being watched I had an impending sense of fear. Shaking my head, I began to shiver. Suddenly it was very cold. Goosebumps forming on my arms I forced my hovering hand towards the door knob. Shaking uncontrollably I fumbled to grip hold of the door, half expecting it to suddenly burst open.

Taking a deep breath I pushed on the door to instantly be hit with a freezing gust of wind blasting in from a wide open balcony window. "Whoa Mama...it's freezing in here....you want the penguins to move in or something." Nudging the door I found it wouldn't open any further. Giving it a couple of nudges I concluded there must be something behind the door, squeezing my head round the tight opening of the door I peered to see what the blockage was. With a big gasp I rose my hand to my mouth. My eyes welled as I tried to speak. "Mama?" I whimpered, lip trembling I shrunk down as much as I could in the small gap to feel her foot. Stretching as far as I could I fumbled to find a pulse somewhere, anywhere. I couldn't move the door any further as I didn't want to hurt her, I couldn't see her face  just the bottom of her legs which were cold as ice. Tears streaming down my face I sobbed as I sank onto the floor sobbing as I held her foot in my fingertips.

 

               

 

 

 



© 2013 Katie Nimmo


Author's Note

Katie Nimmo
This is the first chapter of my first feature length novel. After some feedback on the storyline. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great intro so far I would say. Sounds very mysterious. What happened to Mama? was there anyone out there? I guess I'll find out as the story continues. But I'm worried or maybe confused to see her smiling and preparing another tea while Mama is missing. Maybe it's still early for me to tell.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ooh very intriguing! I'm instantly curious about what might have happened to mama, and the newspaper article and town all sound very mysterious. Great first chapter! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi Katie,it reads very well.Good flow to it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great intro so far I would say. Sounds very mysterious. What happened to Mama? was there anyone out there? I guess I'll find out as the story continues. But I'm worried or maybe confused to see her smiling and preparing another tea while Mama is missing. Maybe it's still early for me to tell.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 22, 2013
Last Updated on December 7, 2013


Author

Katie Nimmo
Katie Nimmo

United Kingdom



About
Former holiday park entertainer. It's taken 27 years to realize how much I truly love writing and it's what makes me happy. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Katie Nimmo