Innocent Coward

Innocent Coward

A Poem by Kaya

She hid in caves her whole life,

Looking at the stars and wondering;

Dreaming they could whisper secrets

If she could open her ears to listen.

 

She hid from the sun in hollowed crevices,

Scared it would show her for what she was

In a way that the flickering candlelight

Never seemed to do.

 

She passed old lanterns to travelling souls,

Wanderers passing with hollow pretence.

Fools too sure of the path to know

That it had to be wrong if it felt that right.

 

She dreamt of escape from the echoing vault,

Of emerging as somebody who’d never seen darkness

But to emerge into sunlight took more courage

Than this innocent coward could find.

© 2012 Kaya


Author's Note

Kaya
I don't know if this really counts as a poem... it doesn't rhyme and my poems usually rhyme. It sorta just came out... My fingers were itching to type something... This just happened to come out. As always comments of any kind very welcome! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

While written in the third person, this excellent creative outburst appears to be part of a conversation with yourself; its actual and complete meaning, known only to you--even if, mostly, on a subconscious or unconscious level.
"Innocent Coward" strikes me as very fine poetry.
That third stanza is especially intriguing. Here, the poetess seems to indicate that feelings based on practiced sin or too-easily accepted error can often seem quite "right." Otherwise, a well-tuned conscience--having been meticulously programmed with as much truth as was available--would have, long ago, sounded the alarm.
Now, Kaya, I'll obviously have to add "thought-provoking" to my assessment of your very fine poetry.
Extremely promising work!



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very profound imagery. I love when poetry reveals itself not as just words you read but also as words that transform into visions. You have done a superb job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Interesting read. I love the imagery you used; it painted the very grim picture of a girl unwilling to face herself. The third stanza was my favorite because to me it implied that she viewed anyone on a sure path as being wrong, as if her remaining in the darkness with her worries was a better choice than facing the light.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaya

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I guess I was just thinking about things like racism. No one ever does anyt.. read more
"Fools too sure of the path to know that it had to be wrong if it felt that right" a powerful line indeed. This is such a sad poem. As I was reading, I kept hoping, hoping, hoping that she would emerge into the light, and view her true beauty, but alas, it wasn't her time. Beautifully done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaya

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such a lovely review.
This is a really good write, I could feel the emotions

Posted 11 Years Ago


Quite beautiful indeed :) I enjoy the implication that any journey worth taking is necessarily a path of suffering. That doubt is a neccesary component of hope:)
Also, the different light sources; stars, candles, lanterns, sunlight provided blissful comparison.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaya

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
And yet she could never emerge as someone who had never seen darkness, because she is well acquainted with it. She would indeed be able to help others with her knowledge of it, and with her appreciation for the sunshine. This speaks to me of one who has watched and seen and learned so much that they are hesitant to participate in what seems to be very threatening. Many of us have felt this way. You have expressed this so well. This poem gives me feeling and speaks. Thanks.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaya

11 Years Ago

I think in the first two lines of your review, you've captured pretty much the mood I found myself i.. read more
Shimmerbliss/CAF

11 Years Ago

Nice job! :)
A clever allegory, written with a thoughtful intelligence and heart. There is a clear and winning voice whispering between these lines and this clarity washes over the reader refreshingly, invigorating with meaning and insight.
These lines are grand:
"Fools too sure of the path to know
That it had to be wrong if it felt that right."
Really good.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaya

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. Its always good to know i'm on the right track with my w.. read more
Fantastic Prose Kaya, inspirational and full of sorrow at the same time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


While written in the third person, this excellent creative outburst appears to be part of a conversation with yourself; its actual and complete meaning, known only to you--even if, mostly, on a subconscious or unconscious level.
"Innocent Coward" strikes me as very fine poetry.
That third stanza is especially intriguing. Here, the poetess seems to indicate that feelings based on practiced sin or too-easily accepted error can often seem quite "right." Otherwise, a well-tuned conscience--having been meticulously programmed with as much truth as was available--would have, long ago, sounded the alarm.
Now, Kaya, I'll obviously have to add "thought-provoking" to my assessment of your very fine poetry.
Extremely promising work!



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Poems don't always rhyme and this one is certainly full of depth and emotion! Very good piece of art, my dear poetess :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaya

11 Years Ago

Thank :) I was insanely nervous to post it so I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

445 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 31, 2012
Last Updated on July 31, 2012

Author

Kaya
Kaya

Brisbane, Qld, Australia



About
Hey Guys, I just remembered about this website when my old computer came back online. I left writing and moed on to pole dancing, but, as embarrassing as reading through my old work feels, I want .. more..

Writing
Hidden Past Hidden Past

A Story by Kaya


Anzac Anzac

A Poem by Kaya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hate Hate

A Poem by Persephone


Jellyfish Jellyfish

A Poem by xSamilynnx


Bandit Bandit

A Poem by MoriartyMesa