The Everlasting Tale of Life and Death

The Everlasting Tale of Life and Death

A Story by K. J. Baur
"

A story of both life and death, and how they came to be.

"

It was around noontime on that chilly, autumn day. The sky was grey, for the sun was hiding behind the clouds. The trees had just started to shed their multicolored leaves and the wind played its part by whisking them away. The students of Stonewald school had started to pour out into the school yard for recess and proceeded to meet up with their friends and play.

There was one boy, however, who always remained alone during recess. His name was Roderick Rosewood, and everyone in the village thought he was strange. Parents forbade their children from associating with him and while others feared him, there were a select few who bothered him because of his freakish demeanor. His dark hair and dark eyes scared even his teachers.

But there was one girl who was not fearful or wary of him, but in fact, she pitied him. Her name was Jenna Kensington and her and Roderick shared one thing in common: they were both orphans. Their similarities stopped there, however. She was a sweet, quiet girl who everyone adored. She always wore colorful dresses and her light, curly hair always remained undone. Roderick secretly had a liking for her, but he knew it was unrealistic. A shy, happy girl like her could never fall for a dark and isolated boy like him. Oh, how wrong he was.

"Oi, dirtface!" One nasty boy called out to Roderick. He bullied Roderick almost everyday, but Roderick didn't defend himself as much as he wanted to.

"I’m talking to you!" The boy continued, approaching Roderick along with two other boys with devious grins on their faces. Roderick did not acknowledge any of them. He just stared straight ahead, knowing either way he'd end up facing their wrath.

"Think you can ignore us, do you?" Another boy snarled and then grabbed Roderick by his hair, "Eat dirt, you freak!"

He and the other boy shoved Roderick's face into the dirt, holding him down. Roderick soundlessly struggled in their grasp, thrashing and clawing at anything he could grab a hold of.

"Stop it!" Jenna yelled, running over to them, "Stop it right now! He didn't do a thing to you, now did he?!"

The boys ignored young Jenna and continued tormenting Roderick. Even though it didn't work, Roderick was thankful that Jenna at least tried to stand up for him. No one had ever done that before.

"Stop it, or I'll get the teacher!" Jenna threatened and the boys reluctantly stopped, not wanting to face the teacher and her whip.

"You will not have Kensington to save you next time, you little git." They scowled at Jenna, who’s hands were balled into fists, and at Roderick who was coughing dirt out of his mouth. Jenna kneeled down in front of him, and his dark and misunderstood eyes met with her light, kind ones.

"Are you alright?" She questioned him.

"You shouldn't have done that." He finally spoke.

"Oh, and why not?"

He sighed, "Because, you should not be friends with me. I am no good."

"See, now that you've said that, I have decided that we must be the best of friends." She smiled.

For the first time in all his life, he returned the smile. He knew he shouldn't have. He knew this wouldn't end up well, but he couldn't help himself. He didn't want to be alone anymore.




Years past after that, and ever since that day, Jenna and Roderick --whom were about sixteen years of age-- did indeed become the best of friends, though they were growing to become more than that. Jenna and Roderick continued to spend their days with each other, both happy and sad. They exchanged secrets and expressed their feelings to one another. Even though Jenna was known to be friends with him, the town still appraised her and yet they despised and still feared Roderick.

The days grew colder as winter approached and as they did, strange things started to happen in the villages. One by one, people started to disappear and because people always feel better when a blame is given, they accused Roderick of being the mastermind behind them. Others had dropped dead, and so Jenna, despite their strong relationship, had begun to believe the accusations. Many of the people who had died or disappeared all had gone to school with Roderick and herself.

So one day, she was determined to get answers and so she walked to his grand manor. The manor was surrounded by an iron black fence and weeds made up what should have been grass around it. The manor was just as worn and sullen; the stone brick was cracked and crumbling and the windows were boarded up as if to keep people out. She rapped on the brass door knocker three times and waited for him to answer. When minutes had passed, and he did not answer, she reached for the door handle and surprisingly, the door was open.

She quietly entered the dark manor and closed the door. The only light that shown in was the sunlight that peeped through a large crack in the boarded window. Other than that, oil lamps dimly lit the large home. The manor was filled with ancient furniture, but as she roamed the halls in search for Roderick, she noticed more and more furniture covered with white sheets.

"Roderick?" She called out, looking from room to room, "Roderick, where are you?!"

She reached a large, wooden door that led to the cellar of the home and was unnerved by what she heard on the other side. Low groans of pain and screams could be heard from below. Her curiosity got the best of her and she opened the door and descended the stairs. The pleas for help became louder and she grew closer and she peered into the room the see the corpses of the townspeople that had bullied and tormented both herself and Roderick so long ago. They were lined up in the back of the room, and they seemed to not have a scratch on them. On the other side of the room was Roderick, who was digging a coffin-sized hole in the dirt ground.
She let out a cry, causing Roderick's head to snap in her direction. When he saw her and the look of absolute terror on her face, he froze.

"Jenna, my love, please understand-"

"Y-You killed them!" She cried.

"I didn't mean to, not at first! I just....I just touched them and they..." He reasoned, "Then when I discovered what I was capable of, I knew I had to seek revenge on those who hurt us!"

"You're mad!" She exclaimed, inching backwards as he approached her.

"Please, I beg of you!" He cried out, and went to reach for her.

She shrieked, backing against the railing of the stairs, "Don’t touch me!"

She then took that as her chance to run up the stairs and through the halls of the manor, trying to seek escape from a man she once saw as good. He chased after her, shouting her name and pleading for her to halt. She paused suddenly when she heard the sounds of angered shouts and battle cries from outside. They were the sounds of an angered riot, coming to avenge the deaths of their loved ones. Jenna knew they would hang not only Roderick, but herself as well. She either had the choice of running straight into the riot, or letting Roderick find her.

Her hesitation was as long as needed because just as Roderick caught up with her, the riot had broken into the manor. The townsfolk seized the two lovers until the crimes Roderick was accused of were confirmed and the bodies of the victims were recovered. They had caged them and it was when they were bringing them to the town square that the two finally spoke.

"I understand why you did this." She said, in barely a whisper.

Up until now, his head was bowed low in shame and sorrow. When she had finally spoken, he met her eyes which weren't necessarily forgiving, but the were understanding.

"They were monsters, Roderick." She continued, "But they did not deserve to die."

He bowed his head again, his shoulders slumped. It was now time. They had reached the town square, and were shoved onto the wooden stage where the townsfolk had looped noosed ropes around their necks. The fear in Jenna's eyes was evident as she looked at Roderick. There was no getting out of this; Roderick was guilty of the accused crimes and despite what he did, Jenna wouldn't let him die alone.

"Any last words?" The executioner growled, gripping the lever which would send them to their deaths.

Jenna and Roderick met each other's eyes just as they first did when they were children. She held her hand out to him, and he held it within his own. They took in one last breath, and just as the floor was swept out from beneath their feet, they had frozen in time and they were together as one.

The story of Jenna Kensington and Roderick Rosewood is more commonly known as the tale of Life and Death. Roderick’s actions towards the ones who hurt him show why death is so sudden and at times, doesn’t make any sense. Jenna’s understanding of Rodericks deeds, yet when she told him they did not deserve the punishment of death show how the will of life sometimes prevails death. It is why Life and Death are the complete opposite of each other, and yet, there cannot be life without death or death without life.


© 2016 K. J. Baur


Author's Note

K. J. Baur
Should I make this longer? More descriptive? This was an assignment I wrote for a writing class I took( I received an A+) but I would like to get some advice from
Other.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I absolutely loved it. Regarding your questions about length and amount of details, I would have to say they were perfect. Mostly because I always thought that readers need only a bit of direction regarding details. Using that direction to weave picture for themselves. So all in all, I have to say again that it was absolutley perfect.

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the website administrators.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2016
Last Updated on February 10, 2016

Author