The Battle of a Tainted Mind

The Battle of a Tainted Mind

A Story by Ren Black
"

Work In Progress

"
      It wasn't, or at least couldn't have been, long after I was drawing; sketching the curve of his jaw, the fullness of his bottom lip, that I found myself downtown. Away from the building, away from the masses of people. But... how did I get myself here? The last thing I remember was outlining his sharp nose with the aid of a graphite pencil.
     I glanced momentarily downwards at my heavy steps; somehow my legs were carrying me, but I wasn't the commander of this action. I wanted so desperately, yet for no apparent reason, to have knowledge of the time but each time I tried bringing my eyes to the face of my watch, my brain wouldn't process the command. I felt paralysed but I wasn't. I felt numb. I felt as though my bloodstream were replete with novocaine and there was nothing I could do about it. I was somebody's puppet. I was helpless.
     Nobody was around me. Not a person, vehicle, not even the faintest whisper of a ghost. At least, I couldn't see them. I could hear the yelling of a child, "Look, mommy!" I could hear the cars and the passing traffic chaotically rushing by me. I could hear it. It was like watching a movie with no picture; I could hear all of the actions but I could only guess what what was happening. I heard a bicycle pass me by, I think, and I jolted at the unexpected whir. But nothing. Blank. I couldn't see a moving thing. I could hear all of this, but I could not see it. I felt dazed and confused as the wind pushed itself vigorously against my face, but the wind did not disturb my ears. I could hear all but the wind, and my own sullen footsteps - but I was sure both were real.
     My tired legs continued to carry me as the sky grew colder and darker with time approaching dark hour. I noticed the shining of headlights along the phantom infested road, yet still no vehicles were visible. As I crossed the road, was I nearly the victim of a horrific traffic accident? I don't know. Maybe. I couldn't see the causes of all of this sounds; all I could see was the landscape of trees, roads and buildings. How could I be sure that I was hearing anything correctly and maybe my sight was fine? Either way, something was wrong. I looked left, I looked right, but there was nothing for me to see and the diminuendo  of all sounds was playing on my mind. I did manage to to get across unharmed, but was it luck despite my lack of belief?
     Soon, I was left with no sounds. It was merely this deserted ghost town, and me. Alone - or so I felt. Not even my shadow dared to accompany me, there was no longer comfort to be sought from shining headlights. I felt as though I was trapped in a nightmare - or rather, a dream - a fantasy. Solitude. I felt my legs become unsteady as though I were getting ready to be swallowed up into a hole in the world. A hole ready to open up and steal me from this Earth and of course, nobody would notice. 
     Then, black. Another twenty minutes of my day disappeared as I found myself standing at the steps to my house. The door opened and I entered. How long was I standing there? I wondered, but my ability to recall seemed to have been diminished. I wandered around in a perfect trance, unsure of myself and my surroundings. What was real, and what wasn't?

© 2013 Ren Black


Author's Note

Ren Black
Do you feel this is a concept worth pursuing? Maybe should I scrap this to start over with a fresh take on the concept?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a concept worth pursuing. I am full of questions about what happens next, and I feel sympathy for the person as well.

The second to last sentence is present tense. Was that a mistake?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ren Black

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. Also, thank you for pointing that out, it was a mistake.
why is this writing is talking to me?
its amazing!!!!!! psycho and dark and just the right wordings....candy for this kid.....
thanks for sharing this awesome write!^^
glitchy

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ren Black

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 15, 2013
Last Updated on October 14, 2013
Tags: mental illness, stress, pressure, deep, dark, psychological

Author

Ren Black
Ren Black

About
I'm Ren and I'm an unpublished (for now) writer and poet. I spend a large portion of my day writing, brainstorming, editing and rewriting as writing is my passion. My Wattpad account is here. My.. more..

Writing
Promise Me Promise Me

A Poem by Ren Black


Apathy Apathy

A Poem by Ren Black