Ch 31: Reject Perfection!

Ch 31: Reject Perfection!

A Chapter by KeithKVH
"

Thinking thoughts of his mother, Grey visits her grave once more. A surprise encounter, his beliefs put to the test, Grey makes his resolve. Meanwhile, the second assault on their home begins.

"

            Enthralled by his story about their mother, Grey and Saria had listened quietly the whole time as Alexander spoke. Bringing the story to a close, Alexander said, “And that is how Amelia and I met. She immediately went and put an end to the rumors flying about town, and at her invitation, I began to help her with her profession as a hunter. One day, she even surprised me by bringing along Fenrip, whom I quickly befriended as well. Despite my struggles not to get too involved, the bond between Amelia and I steadily grew into more than friendship. Once I saw the old and decrepit pile of wood she called her home, I asked her to move in with me. Fenrip pushed me to propose, and after much hesitation, I put my curse of immortality aside and bought the rings.” 


Removing a small, worn box from his pocket and opening it, Alexander displayed his silver engraved wedding ring as he said, “A year after our paths first crossed, we were married. We put having children on hold until years later, both of us felt that nineteen was a little too young. The honeymoon was quite literally an adventure. I took her on a tour of the world, which she had always dreamed about doing one day.” A dreamy smile on her face, Saria said, “Such a romantic story, it’s like the fairy tales I’ve always loved…” Seeing Grey looking lost in thought, Alexander said, “Something the matter Grey?” With a sigh, Grey said, “I just… I just wish I could have known her. If I had…” 


Cutting him off, Alexander said, “Weren’t you the one who said you were through thinking about how things could have been?” Feeling torn between his resolve and his regrets, Grey looked away from him and said, “Well, yeah but…” Standing up for him, Saria said, “But, is there really anything wrong with that though? I wish I could have known her too...” With a sigh, Alexander shook his head and said, “Of course there’s nothing wrong with such a desire, but what worries me is his tendency to take something like this too far. I wish you had known her too Grey, but instead of letting my story fill you with regret, remember the words you spoke at her grave, and let her words fill you with hope.”


            Walking through the forest alone, planning on paying another visit to his mother’s grave, Grey thought to himself, “He’s right, moping about it won’t change anything. Still, it’s not unreasonable to at least pay my daily respects, since we’ll only be here a few days.” Arriving at the grave, Grey knelt down before it and said, “Well, I thought since I won’t have the chance pretty soon here, I’d pay you another visit. I’m really hopeless though, aren’t I? Alexa- I mean, Dad told us about you and all, and I wind up dwelling on the past again.” 


A chill ran up Grey’s spine as a familiar voice suddenly called out, “Yes, that weakness of yours shines right through, just as I said.” Turning his head to look behind him, Grey’s eyes went wide as he saw Alastor walking through the trees towards him. Leaping to his feet, Grey faced him and shouted, “You! How dare you show your face here?!” Approaching him, Alastor said, “I’m not at all thrilled that you’re here either Mr. Greyson. I had not planned this meeting, but I could not resist remarking on your words, and now I’ve revealed myself. Quite honestly, I don’t know what compelled me to pay my respects to the grave of a person I never really knew in the first place, even if she was my sister-in-law…” 


Clenching his fists, Grey glared at him as he said, “Don’t play games with me! It’s because of you that she’s dead!” Staring at Grey a moment, Alastor said, “You truly have a simple view of things, don’t you? Fine, I won’t deny it. One of my subordinates was responsible for her demise. I had no desire for her death, but she insisted on getting in the way. Are you fighting me because of that Mr. Greyson? Do you honestly still cling to something so petty as revenge?” Unsure as to why he decided to answer instead of drawing out his swords and ending it all, Grey replied, “You’re out to destroy our world, to take away everything I care about! Besides, after everything you’ve done, is it really so petty that I want to see to it that you face justice?!” With a faint smile, Alastor said, “You truly do have a simple view of things… Very well, I suppose I can take the time to try and make you see reality.”


            As Grey glared back at him defiantly, Alastor said, “I don’t intend to make excuses about your mother. I’ve sacrificed many, and I did so because that is simply something that cannot be avoided. Do you remember your childhood dream Mr. Greyson? To one day change this world into a better place for everyone, make it so that discrimination no longer exists?” Unable to see where he was going, Grey simply replied, “Yeah, so what?” Continuing, Alastor said, “The truth is Mr. Greyson, there is only one thing that makes us different. I have the resolve to accomplish that goal, while you simply go about spouting empty promises.” As Grey tried to object, Alastor said, “You hate me, you despise me, but have you forgotten about the fact that this world, the very world you have fought so long and so hard to protect, is ultimately responsible for creating someone like me? How can you still stand by it after everything you’ve seen? Are you so deluded that you think everyone is good at heart? What happened to your hatred for the world Mr. Greyson?” 


Quickly Grey retorted, “Don’t think you can get out of everything you’ve done just by blaming the world! Not everyone in this world is responsible for what happened to you!” Actually letting slip a slight laugh, Alastor said, “Is that so? I must disagree. You may call them innocent, but even those who are not involved with perpetuating this cycle of disparity and discrimination are just as guilty of not doing anything about it. You included. Some talk about doing something to change things, they start petitions, propose laws. Others wallow in despair, claiming to be powerless.” Stuffing his hands in his pockets, Alastor casually said, “When it comes down to it, they’re all nothing but worthless hypocrites. They lack the resolve to do what is necessary, to take action and tear down the walls of oppression, to dirty their hands and sacrifice everything they cherish. I make no pretenses of heroism Mr. Greyson, but how will you, the great ‘hero’, change this world without making the same sacrifices? What will you do once I’m defeated? Start a petition?” 


To Grey’s disbelief, he could not find the words to answer back. His faint smile widening, Alastor said, “That’s right. You don’t have an answer. Even when the Dark Crusade was defeated all those years ago and your idealistic father was regaled as a hero, nothing changed. A hero can’t save this world Mr. Greyson. But as someone willing to sacrifice anything and everything, I can. You want to speak of justice? The time has come for the world to know MY justice…”


            Standing there before Grey watching the turmoil on his face, Alastor was in for a surprise as Grey suddenly looked at him with a determined expression and said, “You’re wrong!” His faint smile gone, Alastor said, “Am I? Let’s hear it…” Smirking, Grey defiantly said, “You wouldn’t understand. A heartless person like you could never understand the true value of the things you so easily sacrifice! You don’t even plan to actually save the world either. You’re just being selfish and trying to create a world that you think is perfect, no matter what the cost to everyone else! That kind of world would never work! Perfection is meaningless! We all make mistakes! That’s how we grow and learn!” 


Forming his swords and dropping into his battle stance, as his aura of True EDE flared up around him, Grey shouted, “Sitting around dreaming about the past, about how you wish things could be, that won’t accomplish anything! There comes a time when you have to get up and face reality! I’m going to face our reality head on with my friends at my side, and create a better world while still protecting what’s important! It won’t be your ideal world, but I’ll be satisfied just as long as people can learn to accept each other! There has to be a way, and unlike you I’m not going to give up until I find it! It may not be perfect, BUT THAT’S MY RESOLVE!” Staring at Grey silently for a moment, Alastor raised a hand and summoned Shadow to his side as he muttered, “It seems that you and I can never see eye to eye…” Melding with Shadow to take on his merged form, as a dark aura erupted around him, Alastor formed Acerbitas Desiderium and said, “Well then, why don’t you show me this ‘resolve’ of yours?”


            Staring into one of the fountains in front of the mansion thinking thoughts of her mother, as Saria heard him approaching, she turned to face Alexander. Looking around, Alexander asked, “Saria, have you seen Grey? He appears to have wandered off somewhere.” Nodding, Saria said, “He went out about a half hour ago. I think he was going to visit Mom’s grave.” Letting out a sigh, Alexander muttered, “He should have done that earlier, the sun’s already starting to set! Well, I suppose we did train and have lunch rather late, but still…” Turning to go, Alexander said, “I’d better go fetch him.” Suddenly sensing the strange fluctuation of EDE, Alexander formed his sword and moved back as dark vortexes began forming, an army of humanoid anomalies rising out of them, surrounding them from the front and pinning them against the side of the mansion. 


Hiding behind Alexander, Saria stuttered, “W-what?! What are we g-gonna do?!” Shielding her as best he could, Alexander said, “Just stay behind me Saria, it’s going to be alright.” Gritting his teeth, Alexander thought to himself, “I say that, but they’ve been planning this. Whoever was skulking around wasn’t some bandit, it was likely a member of Altera Veritas searching for the generator so they could deactivate the barrier, creating an open path for dark vortexes. I have no doubt we have more to deal with than anomalies!” As though to prove him right, rising from a dark vortex as well came Scathe, the Revenant of the Black Sun. Fixing his piercing blue eyes on Alexander and Saria, he said, “Surrender or be destroyed.” Glaring at him, Alexander said, “Never!” 


Suddenly appearing behind Alexander, a hooded figure knocked Saria aside and stabbed a dagger into Alexander’s back, who let out a gasp of agony. As Alexander’s sword clattered to the ground, Saria looked up to see what had happened, her eyes going wide as saw the scene before her. Tears pooling in her eyes, she shouted, “NO!” Pulling his dagger free, as Alexander dropped to his knees, Grave shook the blood from it and said, “Not so immortal after all, are you Gabriel?”


            Kneeling next to Alexander, Saria sobbed, “Dad no! Don’t leave me!” Breathing heavily as he remained on his knees, Alexander turned to look at her with a pained smile as he struggled to say, “Don’t you worry… I’m… not going anywhere…” Then Grave kicked Alexander in the part of the back he’d stabbed him at, and as Alexander flopped face first on the ground with a stifled cry of pain, Grave said, “Stubborn fool. I guess I should have used a more potent poison.” As Grave pulled out throwing knives to hurl at his defenseless opponent, Saria threw herself over Alexander to shield him as she shouted, “LEAVE HIM ALONE!” As Grave moved to pull Saria away from him, Alexander choked, “Get away… Saria…” 


Suddenly a loud bang erupted as an explosive projectile blew Grave sailing into a group of anomalies. From her far off position atop the wall around Alexander’s estate, Ghost lowered her sniper rifle and raised her mobile phone up to her ear, saying, “Obstruction removed. Fire at will.” Detecting her, Scathe quickly looked in her direction and said, “Unforeseen interference. Master Alastor must be informed of this.” Just as quickly though, he looked to the skies as the air fortress dropped its stealth field and the Vinculus appeared. Sitting up as the anomalies also struggled up around him, Grave turned his eyes up to the Vinculus as well and exclaimed, “What the hell is going on?! This was not part of the plan!” Aiming its EDE cannons down at Scathe, Grave, and the anomalies, the Vinculus opened fire. 


The anomalies and their leaders disappeared in mighty explosions, and once the Vinculus’ fire had ceased, Saria helped Alexander up and he quickly formed a dark vortex for them to escape through. But out of the clouds of smoke, one of Grave’s chains shot out at Saria to capture her. Throwing himself into the path of the chain, as it moved like a snake and wrapped around his waist, Alexander pushed Saria into the dark vortex. Watching the chain pull Alexander away from her as she fell into the vortex, Saria shouted, “DAD NO!” As she passed through the vortex, it vanished. Whirling Alexander around and slamming him into the side of the mansion, as Grave stepped forth from the aftermath of the Vinculus’ attack with chain in hand, he muttered, “Had to be the hero just one last time, didn’t you?” Falling out of the splintered impression he’d made in the wooden wall of the mansion, his signature shades falling onto the ground, as he got to his hands and knees, Alexander’s sword reappeared in his hand. Struggling up and glaring at Grave with determination in his eyes, Alexander said, “I did nothing deserving of being called a hero! What I did… was my duty as a father!”


            In the midst of a fierce battle with Grey, Alastor found himself unable to overpower him like before. Blocking Grey’s blades with the handle of Acerbitas Desiderium, Alastor shoved him away with great difficulty as he thought to himself, “Where did he suddenly find such strength?!” Jumping back as Alastor swung his scythe, Grey channeled EDE into his blade and started to say, “Ein So-” Then he stopped suddenly and they both turned their heads in the direction of the manor as they heard the sound of EDE cannons firing. Seeing the Vinculus in the sky, Alastor muttered, “What is Ferid doing? The Vinculus wasn’t supposed to be involved in this operation. I haven’t even given Scathe the order to begin yet…” 


Rushing forth to strike at Alastor, Grey angrily exclaimed, “B*****d! This was all just a distraction, wasn’t it?!” Stepping aside and sweeping the handle of his scythe under Grey’s feet, Alastor sent him falling on his face, and twirling the scythe in his hand and raising it to strike, Alastor triumphantly said, “You’ve let your temper get the best of you Mr. Greyson!” Turning his body to see the scythe blade coming down, Grey winced, certain he was finished. Yet Alastor’s swing didn’t connect, the flow of his attack derailing as the spear point of a halberd pierced through his back and burst out his stomach. 


Gagging blood, Alastor thought, “What?!” Then he clenched his teeth in pain, being electrified as lightning surged through the halberd and into his body, great amounts of electricity crackling around him violently. As the halberd was pulled back out of Alastor, the villain collapsed on the ground, and Grey struggled up to see standing over him with Levitas Curator in hand was none other than his best friend Scott Matthews. Flashing a grin, Scott said, “Sorry I’m late!”


            Staring in disbelief, Grey said, “Scott?! Is that really you?!” Resting his halberd on his shoulder, Scott sarcastically replied, “No, I’m a genie here to grant you three wishes. Of course it’s me!” As the air suddenly began to churn around them, Scott and Grey jumped back, barely escaping in time as a cyclone of wind erupted around Alastor, wind blades dancing within it. Struggling up and clutching his injury, as the winds faded, Alastor opened a dark vortex and muttered, “I don’t know what’s going on, but I have no more time for you…” Alastor disappeared into the dark vortex, and letting his swords evaporate, Grey turned to Scott and said, “What the hell is going on Scott?! Didn’t you join Altera Veritas?! Didn’t you… hate me?” Blinking in surprise, after a moment Scott burst out laughing. In irritation, Grey quickly shouted, “Don’t laugh! This is serious! Do I have to come over there and knock some sense into you?!” 


His laughter dying out, Scott grinned at Grey and said, “Why would I ever hate you? Get a grip man! It was all just that Dr. Nova messing with my head! Once he was gone I came to my senses, and they’ve had me locked up in the Vinculus ever since. Things get a little fuzzy after that, but it looks like Ferid decided it was time for him to run his own show. I broke out during the confusion and here I am.” Feeling the weight of a mountain lifting off of his shoulders, a relieved smile spread across Grey’s face as he said, “So I’ve been worrying about nothing? It was all just Dr. Nova’s fault?” Walking up to Grey and putting a hand on his shoulder, Scott said with a smile, “Have a little more faith in me will you? We made a promise after all!” Beaming back at him, Grey said, “Sorry for doubting you.” With a nod, Scott said, “That’s my best bud! Now let’s go! From what I found out before I escaped, Alexander and Saria are probably in loads of trouble!”


            Having tumbled out of the dark vortex somewhere in the forest, Saria was filled with a feeling of hopelessness as she got to her hands and knees. Staring at the ground with tears in her eyes, she thought, “Why?! Every time I think I’ve found my happiness, every time! It always gets destroyed right before my eyes!” Suddenly hearing the rustling of bushes all around her, Saria looked up to see Altera Veritas’ humanoid anomalies surrounding her, their bladed arms glinting in the fading sunlight. As she sat there shaking in fear, a voice called out, “You’ll not elude us so easily!” Making her way through the trees towards where Saria sat hopelessly surrounded, Giselle said, “We made sure to monitor the entire area for even the weakest fluctuations of EDE. Lord Alastor has plans for you and the power inside you. Surrender and come quietly!” 


As Saria simply sat there quivering in fear, another voice suddenly called out, “You call yourself his daughter?! What a waste of space!” Jumping out of the trees above and swiping her claws in the air, Rend sent blades of nature energy shooting down at the anomalies, cutting several of the unsuspecting creatures apart. Landing outside the ring of anomalies around Saria, she leaped into battle, spinning about at high speed with her claws and tearing her way through their ranks as she shouted, “Sonic Claw!” Jumping over one anomaly that struck at her and landing before Saria, Rend glanced at her and said, “Why do you even carry a weapon if you don’t have the nerve to fight?!” With a brief look of surprise, Saria hung her head and thought, “That’s right… Everyone else has been fighting to protect what’s important to them this whole time, while I’ve just…” 


Enraged to see her anomalies destroyed by a so-called ally, Giselle shouted, “What is the meaning of this?! You, sprite of Ala Morte! What do you think you’re doing?! Your master is our ally! Do you dare defy him?!” Flexing her claws, Rend said, “Shut up b***h! I’m called Rend, and I’m doing exactly as ordered! Our master was gonna betray you guys anyways, but that b*****d Nova came along and screwed with his plans. So he’s got a new plan now, and it doesn’t include you!”


            The remaining anomalies closing in around Rend and Saria, an infuriated Giselle said, “Nova?! It’s as though we’re surrounded by traitors!” Forming her sword, Gladius, Giselle added, “Still, you’re a fool if you think you alone stand a chance!” Raising her hands at her sides questioningly and shaking her head, Rend said, “I can’t agree with that, but whoever said that I was alone?” At that moment, a voice cried out, “Tempestas Telorum Caecus!” Shooting from above, beams of arcane power raced down and struck the remaining anomalies, exploding in destructive blasts. Shielding her eyes with her arm, Giselle exclaimed, “What now?!” 


Landing next to Rend, a woman with a half black and half gray mask, long ears and long blue hair, and a blue two tailed scarf that seemed to move as though it were alive, Magus raised the red crystal blade of her Hadrox Spellblade at Giselle. Magical power glowing in the multi-colored eyes behind her mask as well as in the blade of her weapon, she said, “The Master’s will be done! Mente Telas!” Becoming trapped in Magus’ hypnotic spell, the world around Giselle was turned upside down, Rend and Magus disappearing from her view. 


As Giselle wandered around blindly, shouting in rage and wondering what was happening, Magus turned to Rend and said, “Commence with extracting the target.” Turning to Saria, Rend reached down and pulled her up by the collar as she said, “Alright girlie, you’re coming with me!” Confused and frightened, Saria stammered, “W-what?” With a slight laugh, Rend said, “Oh, I’m sorry, did you think we were doing this out of the kindness of our hearts? Hate to burst your bubble, but we’re still the bad guys!” As Saria stared at her masked face in terror, Rend added, “Don’t worry though, we’re not gonna hurt you… yet…”


            Alexander lunged at Grave and swung with his sword, but made weak by the poison, his attack was easily deflected by Grave’s dagger. Countering with a spirit charged punch, the villain knocked him back against the wall of the mansion. Hearing Scathe walking up behind him, Grave looked back at him and said, “Are you going to participate Scathe? Or is the ranking General of Altera Veritas too high and mighty to do any work these days?” Scathe seemed to be speaking to an unseen person as he said, “Understood.” Then addressing Grave, Scathe suddenly said, “We’re withdrawing now, the operation has failed.” Turning to face him with a look of surprise and anger, Grave exclaimed, “Why?! Does this have something to do with the Vinculus?!” 


Seeing the two of them were distracted, as he sat there slumped against the side of the mansion, Alexander healed his injuries while he quietly chanted, “Ego Voco Vos, Lux Acies.” His sword’s blade becoming lined with glowing white runes as the power of light filled it, Alexander then chanted, “Cesso, Radiata.” Finally, he cast his Master’s Spell, chanting, “Magistri Alica.” Too busy speaking to his comrade to notice, Scathe said, “The Vinculus was not ordered here by Master Alastor. Additionally, the order to begin the operation was not approved by Master Alastor. I confirmed his voice pattern when I received the order, meaning someone utilized a synthesizer to replicate his voice pattern. Considering we use restricted communication channels accessible only to members of our organization, there is a high probability that Ferid has sabotaged the operation. At the moment, the reason is undetermined.” Taking this in, Grave muttered, “So that’s what’s going on! What about Giselle? We were supposed to have the entire forest surrounded! Even if he can teleport around like Alastor can, Alastor himself said there was no way he had enough control to send her very far!” Scathe promptly replied, “All contact with Giselle has been lost. It seems safe to assume that the girl escaped.”


            Clenching his fists, Grave angrily exclaimed, “Grrraahh! This is a joke! The whole organization is falling apart! Nothing but traitors all around us! Not to mention the only loyal members we have seem to be a bunch of incompetent twits who can’t even do their jobs!” Suddenly hearing chuckling, Grave turned back around to glare at Alexander, who was laughing at their misfortune. Ignoring Grave’s menacing glare, simply grinning at him in hopes of enraging him into further carelessness, Alexander said, “Infighting amongst an evil organization? Imagine that…” Starting to walk towards him, Grave said, “We’ll see how much of a joking mood you’re in when I slit your throat!” 


Scathe impatiently repeated, “We’re withdrawing Grave. Master Alastor is more concerned with resolving the matter of the Vinculus.” Turning back to look at him, Grave shouted, “Enough about orders! I’m not wasting the opportunity to kill an enemy! At least we’ll have accomplished something!” Opening a dark vortex, as Scathe moved to go, he said, “There is insufficient time to debate this. I’m withdrawing immediately.” As Scathe disappeared into the dark vortex, Grave turned back to Alexander as he muttered, “As if I needed your help anyways!” Twirling his dagger in his hand a moment, Grave said, “Any last words?” Slowly getting up, Alexander rested his sword’s tip against the ground and said, “Just one. Care to guess what it is?” Irritated, Grave raised his dagger before him and rushed at Alexander as he shouted, “Enough with your games! DIE!” Grinning ear to ear, Alexander said, “Iacio.”


            As the light enchantment on his sword disappeared, a blinding light erupted at the point of Alexander’s sword and Grave stopped in mid rush, shielding his eyes with his arm as he exclaimed, “Gah!” Moving quickly, Alexander went through a dark vortex to get behind Grave, and stealthily took something from his pocket. As Grave’s eyes recovered from being temporarily blinded by the radiance of Alexander’s spell, he looked up to see Alexander gone. Suddenly feeling a tap on his shoulder, Grave turned around only to have Alexander slam his rune covered fist into his face as he chanted, “Signum Impetu!” 


Blown away by the enhanced strike, Grave sailed into the side of the mansion and bounced off to land on his stomach. Struggling up onto his hands and knees, the layer of Sandstone Armor on his face covered with cracks, Grave muttered, “I would have thought by now you’d have succumbed to the poison…” Stabbing his sword into the ground, Alexander reached into his own pocket to withdraw the item he’d stolen from Grave’s pocket. It was a glass bottle full of a strange liquid, and holding it up he said, “Yes, were it not for one of Mythra’s crash courses in medicinal treatment, which I don’t recommend to the faint of heart, I would not have acquired such a strong resistance to poisons. Of course, such a strong poison, which I’d wager is one of the ones invented by the Scorpio ninja clan, is a bit too potent for me to tolerate for much longer. Fortunately enough, a ninja of the Scorpio clan always carries the antidote in case of emergency!” Staring in wide eyed disbelief as Alexander uncorked the lid on the bottle and drank the antidote, Grave checked his pocket and thought to himself, “That b*****d, when did he…?”



© 2014 KeithKVH


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on October 30, 2014
Last Updated on October 30, 2014
Tags: Volume 3, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Original

Legend of Mautau: A Dream Reborn


Author

KeithKVH
KeithKVH

Pasadena, CA



About
I've been writing a novel series as a hobby for several years. I hope to write other stories, but for now just hoping to continue improving this one. **Just a note to keep in mind, everything here .. more..

Writing