Chapter 1: The Garage

Chapter 1: The Garage

A Chapter by Keli Renee

         There's no way this couch can be anything but ancient. It sags in the middle, as though too many people sat in that exact same spot over and over again until there was nothing left but this big 'ol crater. One big slump for couches...a thousand butt cheeks for couch-kind. I can't help but notice the smells of sex, booze and sweat faintly pulsating from within the depths of this defective thing. I have one word for it: gag. When I first sat down here, I heard the distinct sound of a pull-out bed; I think that is the source of the smell. There are quite a few rips in this beast, and even more cigarette burns. I hate cigarettes. And yet, here I sit, in that big slump on the ancient couch. And here I will probably stay.

         I'm sitting against the wall of your average teenage-angst-boy garage with guitars, skateboards, and discarded energy drink cans littering every surface. The walls are stacked to the ceiling with boxes of the owner's family history. In the middle of this lies the heart of the operation: the band equipment; all of it is currently being used. This would be he source of my headache--no acoustics in this piece of crap garage. I can't complain, though. I wanted to get away from home and have some peace; this place gives me that.

         Regardless of how loud it is, the music is amazing. There's an edginess to the bass, sounding just as vindictive as it does hateful while it helps keep time. The drum beats so forcefully that it almost screams to be recognized: "I'm here! I keep time better than the bass! Hear me!" The electric guitar has this menacing and creepy sound to it, and the vocalist matches it's theme perfectly. My Great Hangover is wailing about how she left him alone with a stale beer and a hard dick and now he needs to find a w***e.

        This band would be great if it had two things: A better lyricist, and a screamer. I made a note in my book to find them both.

         My name is Ellie. I am the go-to female for all things underground. I can hook the best rappers up with the best producers, the most potential female vocalists with a band and voice coach, and good bands with great equipment. I am the Music Goddess, the Almighty Ellie Brandt.  I can play the guitar, the piano, and the violin. I am the best undiscovered (thankfully) vocalist anyone in the tri-state area has ever heard. I am every female front woman's nightmare and every boy band's dream. But I wont do anything about it. I'd much rather be the person who makes good music possible to hear, not the damaged, struggling artist-type I see in this garage every single day.

         If you are wondering why this crappy garage, I think I'll take mercy on you. The first reason is because the guy who lives here has an erection for me. I don't like him. Not at all. But as long as I'm at his place, not some other poor schmuck's, he's content. He has officially let me take over this garage, with promises of complete privacy. Thank you, Higher Being of Some Sort for that, because he knows absolutely nothing about good music. He thinks some crow like Miley Cyrus actually has talent. Ha. Right.

         The second reason is because of the no-acoustics deal. Everyone knows that the quality of a great music group is not how attractive they are, or if they play great riffs, or if they sell a certain amount of CDs. Of course, none of that hurts, but the mark of True Talent lies within the quality of the live performance. If they can sound great without the acoustics, with their music echoing noisily off of every possible crevice, then they stand a chance.

         Don't get me wrong; I'll help any band regardless, but I won't even try to get you to the big time without that initial spark. I won't make a fool of myself-or the music I live by-by making such a huge mistake.

         

 

         So now I'm sitting back, letting the succulent sounds of My Great Hangover wash over me:

 

I can't believe she left me in this bed/

Only thoughts of her swirl within my head/

That damned stale beer won't get me through the night/

Only her with me will ever get that right//

 

          If I do get them a lyricist, I am NOT changing that chorus. I think they struck gold. As I listen, I imagine all the little tweaks that could make the song better. I mentally insert a little screamo here, and a solo to the guitarist there. They should 86 the outro...

 

 

         As My Great Hangover's drummer acts as equipment b***h for today, I talk to the frontman about my ideas. Thankfully, he's all for it. Sometimes a band will be uptight about possible changes, but this band was looking for a change. While setting the plans in motion, I get a text.

 

Mom splurged again. Lake of booze.

Test tomorrow, got to study.

What to do?

 

       S**t! Ronnie must have skipped out on swim practice today, which means I'll have to leave early. Sigh.

 

Be there in 15. Stay in my room. 

The lock works. Play music. You can

have the emerg stash.

 

        Ronnie is my little sister. Call her Veronica, and she'll probably slit your throat. Don't say I never warned you. I usually keep her away from Drunkzilla (our mother) but on days like these, she just can't stay away from home. I don't blame her. Mom wasn't always like this. She used to be decent (ha), but when Dad left (I guess he didn't like her, either) she really fell off the deep end. Looks like we're in for another fight tonight. Better pick up a pizza on the way. Ronnie can't live on Doritos and Root Beer forever... 



© 2010 Keli Renee


Author's Note

Keli Renee
I think I got all the typos this time through... My keyboard is horrible.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i agree, i really like your writing style. its different and it definitely grabs your attention. im very interested to see where this goes...on i go to the next chapter :)

:(sorry i took so long to review)

Posted 14 Years Ago


very interesting style, and excellent characterizations.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is quite good. not a bad start; it sets up all the characters well and asks you to want to learn more. it's really neat that you combined two of your interests into one great work. Kudos especially on the Ellie's character... it's already highly developed and I feel as if i know her! Well done

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hello, joined writerscafe today and you were the first writer I saw on the homepage so I decided to check out "Quinn: As told by Ellie Brandt".
Wow. Read chapters 1&2 and was really impressed. Great story (I play drums) and great voice from the narrator (Ellie). I believe you left yourself a hard act to follow for Chapters 3 thru whatever. But that should be a good thing, right?


Posted 14 Years Ago


I love your writing style!!! I love how you talk with the reader. It reminds me of my style I tend to do the same thing but girl you can write even grammatically correct and all! This is a great intro. There are a couple words which have double first letters but Im the grammatical disaster I should not comment on that. But I need more your teasing me!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

404 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2009
Last Updated on February 22, 2010


Author

Keli Renee
Keli Renee

Portsmouth, VA



About
Konnichiwa!!! I'm Keli. I'm a 16 year old junior living in Virginia. I sing, I write, I read, I draw, and I'm *trying* to become a good photographer. Wish me luck? Meeting new people excites me .. more..

Writing
Venomous Venomous

A Book by Keli Renee


The Girls The Girls

A Chapter by Keli Renee