Oliver Sykes

Oliver Sykes

A Story by Kelsey Taylor
"

This is simply the life of Oliver Sykes and his influence on my life.

"

The most influential person in my life is without question Oliver Sykes. Oli is the singer from popular metal or “screamo” band Bring me the Horizon, which he started in 2004, with his largest influences being Metallica and Linkin Park. Aside from Oli other members of the band include, Lee Malia, Matt Nichols, Matt Kean, Curtis Ward, Jordan Fish, and Jona Weinhofen. His full name is Oliver Scott Sykes but is more widely known as Oli Sykes. He has never married or had children but is currently in a relationship with supermodel Hanna Snow, who recently featured in Bring Me The Horizons hit song “Death Beds” which expresses the love between the two. He was born November 20, 1986.. (we share the same birthday) and aside from his success with his band he is also commonly known for his own clothing line or store labeled Drop Dead. Most popular in places like the United Kingdom. Although Oli was born in Australia, he spent most of his life in various parts of England. While at school in 2003 he began making compilation CD’s under the name “Quakebeat”. He also played in other bands such as a mock-hip-hop group Womb To Da Tomb, with fellow Bring Me The Horizon member Matt Nichols and Oli’s brother Tom Sykes. For a short period of time he was also a drummer for a friends metalcore band Purple Curto, and he now often releases solo material under the name “Olisaurus.” Speaking of dinosaur like names, on February 1, 2013 he kickstarted a project to create a graphic novel drawn by his Drop Dead clothing artist, called “Raised By Raptors”.

Oliver became a vegetarian in 2004 after watching a documentary on animal cruelty. He was quoted as saying,

“When I saw how animals are tortured on factory farms, I couldn't justify being a part of that cruelty.” He later went on to become one of the faces of PETA and even designed a slogan through his clothing line stating, “Meat Sucks.” But not only is he passionate about animals, he also has a love for his fans like no other. While performing at Reading Festival in 2013 he confessed this to the crowd..

“We get a lot of letters off you guys, which is awesome. A lot of people saying that we saved their lives. I don't know much about that but, I want you to know that you saved my life. A few years ago I was a worthless drug addict, I nearly died. And if it wasn't for your support, I would have.” And it is no shock that he has saved so many lives, with lyrics expressing the pain that so many people feel and giving them the courage to stay strong. In the popular song “It Never Ends” off of their album “Suicide Season” the lyrics, “I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand f***ing times. That Im ok, that Im fine, that its all just in my mind.” made a huge difference in listeners fighting mental illness. There are thousands of other examples of his passion in his work. In one of the more touching songs in my opinion called “Hospital For Souls” by asking the simple questions it asks it shows his concern for the emotional state of his fans… it asks, “How are we on a scale of 1-10? Can you tell me what you see? Do you want to talk about it? How does that make you feel? Have you ever took a blade to your wrist? Or have you been skipping meals? Were gonna try something new today, how does that make you feel?” This song leaves you with the feeling that someone does care about you. He has become an emotional crutch for thousands of people including myself.

His music alone has helped me overcome so much and I am forever grateful. Sure any rockstar with a little talent can pretend to love his fans and milk them for every penny available. But with Oil this is not the case. Often performing in group tours so their fans can afford the tickets, they do not sell VIP tickets. They simply walk around after the shows and interact with the crowd for absolutely free.

About 3 months ago I was blessed with the chance to meet this man, and he did not disappoint. It was at Warped Tour, Bring Me The Horizon had played hours before and I was walking to the Memphis May Fire concert, and I saw him walking to his bus. I yelled his name and he looked genuinely happy to see me. He seen that I was nearly in tears and simply embraced me. He told me not to cry and I explained how much finally meeting him meant to me and he didn't say much but it was exactly what I needed to hear.. all he said was,” I love you, stay strong.” He hugged me a little tighter and then he said he must go. That so far, has been the greatest day of my young life.

To some people the only thing that stands out about him is the tattoos, the past suicidal tendencies and his rather optimistic atheism, but to me he is so much more. His kindness, his compassion, and his heart are some of the most amazing things I have ever seen. This man has not let fame change him, he is doing what he loves and making so many peoples lives better by doing it. I can never thank him enough for that. He loves all of his fans regardless of what anyone says. I am proud to say that Oliver Scott Sykes is my hero and always will be.

© 2014 Kelsey Taylor


Author's Note

Kelsey Taylor
I was given an assignment to write about the most influential person in my life and I felt very passionate about this piece. It means so much to me emotionally and personally. I hope that maybe some one can relate to this type of connection with a person.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

HOLY PENGUIN!!!! I LOVE OLIVER!! I know how you feel about him. He is so nice and kind :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2014
Last Updated on March 4, 2014
Tags: oliver, sykes, olober, syko, oliver sykes, olober syko, olisuarus, bmth, bring, me, the, horizon, womb, to, da, tomb, purple, curto, life

Author

Kelsey Taylor
Kelsey Taylor

dallas, NC



About
Well my name is Kelsey Breeanne Taylor, I am currently 15 years of age and I guess I'm what most would consider a "goth" or "emo", which ever stereotype you prefer. I am a bit shy at first.. social an.. more..

Writing