Autobiography?

Autobiography?

A Story by Kelsey Taylor
"

I was told to write a human interest piece on myself for creative writing.

"

How can you write a human interest piece on someone you don't know? How can I write an autobiography when I don't know who I am? Of course I could write some events from my childhood but that would fail to capture who I am as a person. It is clear that students are expected to be passionate in their work, an easy task for someone who is passionate in themselves. I wasn't fortunate enough to be given that ability or maybe I was and it was taken. The world is cruel and doesn't think twice about ripping a child from innocence or extinguishing the fire in their hearts. From a very young age I have known that this place is corrupt and not everyone can survive.. for some survival is easy, others not so much. But what's truly sickening is when your own worst enemy becomes yourself.

I was never like the other girls, I didn't enjoy barbies, no Hannah Montana, or Disney Channel. No pink bows, or pony games. I much rather preferred my books, rock music and Tales from the Crypt. I loved the color black and I kept to myself, I could not and I still fail to see how the “normal” people could produce so much hate for a complete stranger or even their own relatives just because of something they don't understand. But thats what people do, they hate. I have always been told fear is to blame, but I dont think thats the case. Scooby Doo was afraid and he wasn't spiteful or conniving, but he did teach me that the real monsters are human. A lesson I would have soon learned on my own regardless. You see, I grew up in a world that hated what I was and once you're told so many times by so many people to hate the person you are eventually you begin to obey. You begin to see what they describe and before long, your own reflection makes you sick. So for a while I was faker than Barbie herself. Prancing around as some type of girly girl just so I would be excepted but deep down i always knew that, something didn't feel right and so I eventually “gave in to the darkness” or excepted I just wasn't that type of person.

You ask for a defining moment in my life that helped shape who I am but there isn't one. It is every single detail that has led up to this point in time that has made me who I am today, and in a way I'm glad the road I  have traveled to get here was a rough one... it has made me a stronger and better person in the end. I went through a period in my life where I suffered from depression and I struggled with things a lot, but what really matters is that I survived. I made it and I am a stronger more confident person for it. I have become my own person, I no longer let people tell me who to be. I learned to stand up for myself and my beliefs. So if I had to describe myself as an individual I suppose I would call myself eccentric. Something you don't see everyday....and no matter anyones opinion on the subject I perceive that a person should be who they want to be. Although it took me all through middle school to fully embody that statement I'm glad I finally took that step.

For a long time I was afraid, afraid of rejection. Afraid of what people would think, even now I still feel a bit uncomfortable in a room of my peers. They whisper to themselves and stare with eyes full of amusement and terror... sometimes my appearance can be intimidating, other times its just something to criticize. But I don't care anymore, and thats when music began to play such a huge role in my life. Bands such as Bring me the Horizon, Black Veil Brides, Falling in Reverse, Sleeping with Sirens, Pierce the Veil, etc taught me that its ok to be weird and to embrace it. So, thats what I have done.... thats who I am and who I was meant to be. A weird, “goth”, “emo”, quiet girl who loves heavy music and a good scary story. I owe my new found confidence to these people... I have been fortunate enough to even meet and thank some of them in person for all they have done for me. I even made a promise to Oliver Sykes (Vocalist for Bring me the Horizon) that I would always be who I was meant to be, and never stoop to the level of the average person, I promised I would get better and try harder and thats what I did... him asking me to make that commitment really helped alot.  I've kept my promise and I'll continue to live my life the way I do because thats what makes me happy and no ones opinion but my own matters anymore, and I hope that someday when I get my dream job and I am a successful important person all those people who said I would never amount to anything will see that eccentric isn't always a bad quality to have.

© 2014 Kelsey Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on March 6, 2014
Last Updated on March 6, 2014
Tags: autobiography, me, self, story

Author

Kelsey Taylor
Kelsey Taylor

dallas, NC



About
Well my name is Kelsey Breeanne Taylor, I am currently 15 years of age and I guess I'm what most would consider a "goth" or "emo", which ever stereotype you prefer. I am a bit shy at first.. social an.. more..

Writing
Ghost Ghost

A Poem by Kelsey Taylor