A Fool's Diary

A Fool's Diary

A Story by KelvinSamuel

It's been fifteen years now. New place, new language and a new name. One of many I had, over the years. I hardly remember who I am now. I keep reminding myself every day. Wait! Who's that guy across the street looking at me? Is he one of them? Have they finally caught up to me? It can't be! I've been very careful. I know they are close. They have always been. Like a shadow. I've not seen them, but I know they are there. Every time they get closer, a new place, new language and a new name. Even a new look. I've got myself a face lift and a new nose. It's not easy to fool them though, but who is that guy across the street?
       He reminds me of someone. Someone from my past. I know, Johnathan. Yeah, he looks like Johnny but Johnny was clean. He had a smart hair cut with no beard. I remember Johnny, a smart and successful man from my past. He worked at a
ninvestment consultancy. He was honest, intelligent and hard working. Everyone liked Johnny. Every day after work, he would join his colleagues for beer across the street from their office. Even his boss Mr. Gupta, would be there. Sometimes, he would have dinner there but usually Johnny would leave early after one or two pints. His wife and his little girl would be waiting for him to have dinner together. Johnny had a simple yet happy life.
       Hmmm! Who’s that guy across the street sitting on that bench for so long now? I know he's been watching me. I've been writing
 on my diary, and pretending to have not noticed him. I'm afraid if I run, he would follow and surely get to me. I'm not strong and fast anymore. Deprived from everything I had, I'm not what I used to be. I need to wait for the right moment to escape his sight. A passing vehicle probably. It's going to get dark soon. I'm hungry and I need to get back home, but I can't allow him to follow me there. It's not much of a home, but it's all I have. I'm used to it now, probable been in worst places before. He surely looks a lot like Johnny. It can't be him. It's impossible for him to be here.
       Johnny had everything. He had a car, house and a family. He loved his job so much. He was a consultant. He advised his clients on how to invest their money. He gave them advice on what shares to buy or sell and when to do it. The company and Johnny would gain some incentives if everything goes well. All the clients liked him. Everyone liked Johnny. However, Johnny like every other human being had certain dreams. Johnny used to tell everyone after a few beers, that one day he would have plenty of money. He dream to build a luxury home and drive a sports car. He wanted to have enough money, so he could go on a holiday for a whole year. Johnny had a good taste for life.
       I've been writing for so long and it’s dark now. There are no lights on the street. The guy in front of me isn't there anymore. Probably he was just another guy. Probably he moved away to watch me from a distance or to follow me back home. I've got to make my move now, but I need to be careful. I'm going to get up and start walking, but at the same time be caution.
       I've just reached home. Started to write again. I don't know what else to do. It was a long walk, but I’m sure I was not followed. Am I really sure? I was distracted. I kept thinking of Johnny all the way. I couldn't help it, I liked him. Everyone liked Johnny. One day, Johnny was called over to his boss's room. He was told that a client was coming in and they had five hundred million to invest. It was the company’s biggest deal ever. MR. Gupta wanted to assign the client to Johnny. Johnny was over joyed. He said that he would do his best to make both parties happy. He worked very closely with them and did all he could to make the client happy. After a couple months playing with that amount of money, finally he struck a big hit. His hard work had paid off. Total returns were doubled, and Johnny's incentive was 1 million dollars. Johnny had never earned anything close to that before. The client too was very happy with what they had made in return. They wanted to make a withdrawal to dump all of the money into another deal. Mr. Gupta was initially unhappy, but he was ok with it because the company has never made such large amount of money at any one time. Since all this was because of Johnny's hard work, he was given the privilege to see through the whole process until the last transaction.
       It was a Friday afternoon. Johnny was given the authorization to withdraw the funds on behalf of the company and hand over three checks later that evening. One was to be paid to him and the rest was for the company and the client. That evening Johnny never returned from the bank. Nobody knew what happen to him. The money was transferred to an anonymous account.  Johnny was never to be seen again. I personally think that Johnny is dead. Someone knew about the money and got to him. Johnny is dead.
       Wait! It's that guy again. He's staring at me from the window. Wait a minute! As I am moving my head slowly to the left, and then to the right, I come to realize that it is my own reflection. My eyes are moving so fast now. To my left and to my right repeatedly, and then it becomes clear to me. The guy that was sitting on the bench across the street was none other than me, my own reflection from the building's glass window.
       It's been 15 years now. I can't be too careful. There is a bounty on me. They are still looking. At times I forget who am I, I even forget that I have the money. But No! I can't use the money yet. They are close and on the watch. As long as I have the money, I'm alright.

© 2017 KelvinSamuel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on October 3, 2017
Last Updated on October 5, 2017