In Creation Profound

In Creation Profound

A Poem by Ken Simm.

 

I lay on my canvas the thick strokes of my mind

Impasto belief my thoughts ridiculous behind/ that I really want to give and refuse/this creation of mine/ where all thoughts are reused/ intemperate voices silently screaming my doom/ to create what I always do in ends coming too soon/ to the cold thoughts of my process rubbing out my mistakes/ the inevitable anger my follies create/push the brush into linen/ scrape the paint off with knife/ its when ideas seem to be winning/ they create endless strife/ when two colours connect/ come correct to it all/ the idea starts to stumble/ process starts its withdrawal/ strokes fall away listless/ their purpose condemned/ to a final solution/ a ridiculous end.


 

A belief in the beauty/ of this lacklustre creature/ the longing to hope for/ some exceptional feature/ to save it from loosing/ its choice/ its society/ instead of the fog of a loose mediocrity/ in saving my sanity/ in hoping my hopes/ across this blank surface/ my authority gropes/ to turn this one round/ my intelligence my talisman/ into composition profound.

© 2008 Ken Simm.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

C.S. Lewis said, "The greater the author, the less he understands his own work."
I figure this also applies to painting.
"In Creation Profound" is both highly creative and most profound.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

6 Years Ago

You have been digging deep. I forgot all about this one. just reading through it I think there are c.. read more
I get a duel meaning here - one of the actual paint to canvass and the freedom, creativity, blessed birth you give to a painting - dipping into your heart and soul to create. Then there is the idea that this is what happens to us in life as well. You take, you give, you change, you stay the same. You move, you stay - you expand, you contract. You hope and dream - you lie and wait.... just a merry dance of good and bad!

Love this painting. It almost looks like an old stone wall that time has allowed flowers to grow on and the blurred and washed areas are as if it is being seen thru tearful eyes.... ha - how is that for an art review, my friend? The idea of a stonewall which is what we don't want to run into ... the beauty of the blues sets a tranquil tone as if we are sitting in the rain and thinking away....

Love it!

Kath

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmm, i wonder if the ideal creative state is one of absolute clarity? Knowing precisely where you are with your idea, image, or riff? No fogs, no confusion, total sureness. But then would such certainty rule out all kinds of possibilties? Is creation best done in a fog of doubt or blinding sunlight? Thought provoking piece. I am sure of one thing, I can't paint.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, we create our world and our loves, as we project that which we seek upon the canvas of night, and sometimes, just sometimes, it all makes sense, but mostly, it is just a blur of emotion and thought, without definition or truth. Still, this is what we do. Create, and just perhaps, our lives will mirror in just a small fraction the beauty we imagine to be true. Lovely write, and we can all relate.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is beauty, even when we can't see it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

does this lacklustre creature call to you? I've seen you use this format before. I think it's effective in getting across the brokenness of what is happening inside the artist's mind. I liked it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I didn't quite agree with the style of format you used in this one, though I can as well figure you reason for using it: the fact that your work seems very long and also the fact that you're becoming a bit more metaphysical in thought and profound in words of expression, and your tone is rather expressionless. We're soon going to have to start classing you in the range of Blake and Keats.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Doncha just love how mistakes change your path? It's like getting lost in deep woods with a knife and brush for a compass.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this peice. I like the impasto ( play on atnipasto perhaps ). All in all a great piece that I verrily enjoyed reading.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Poet in Prison Poet in Prison

A Story by Rain