Who sang La Mer? Charles Trenet sang La Mer. This is what you asked.

Who sang La Mer? Charles Trenet sang La Mer. This is what you asked.

A Story by Ken Simm.
"

A Continental Confounded letter

"

 

Who sang La Mer? Charles Trenet sang La Mer. This is what you asked.


 


 

Your name was long for Harry. Which was what I called you. The older woman. Thirty five you were, and your name was Women in Love. Hermione. You loved your Pavane in black skirt and head scarf

Crows that cawed over the impossible yellow fields of the South. Just as he said when he painted his insanity. Wine drunk rainbow headaches in the sunshine of the marsh of the flamingoes and the bulls. We argued insanity consistently, giving and taking talking grey, galling, grief. Wondering when it would end. A painted clay pipe for the drudgery of every night drugging and driving the old car through the crucifix shrines of littered and melted offerings tied to the belief of Gauguin paintings. The sharp straight up sunlight giving the lie to whatever was enjoyed, together and individually righteous. The bright red poppy flower by the side of the road.

Druid mistletoe in the trees by the river in the west. The voices raised in the chorus chorale of a whitewashed shafted sun  burned out cathedral. Asking in the cafe square for a pen to say goodbye. She was older enough. I was younger enough then, but only just. Being less than a man because of no military service, they told me.

The barge trips with a bike, asleep on wet grey green tarpaulin valleys, chugging past vineyard and oak aged château hills. Bridges, Breton exploded in temper. Groucho, Harpo & Chico in Italian with French subtitles in the cabin at the back. A poster of the president election on every lamp. The song of the ill loved man.

Talking you scared, down the steep grey green hill. Watching you and your daughter in the slip sliding mud all of Leonardo graves. Asking for another pen this time to draw the Languedoc hill that was burning martyr safe. She was a Mother and I was someone else's son. The start of the drawing in pen instead of HB pencil. Missing a visually exciting scene whilst listening to a very stirring sabre dance.

Saxophone playing, somewhere. You like sax, don't, did, didn't you?

The aforementioned Gypsy's with their black bread and potatoes.

Camus reading camera and crawling for Roman artefacts in the sandbanks on the river, when you left after writing the arguments down because I could not find the collapsible courage.

Starving in the capital then for four drawing days before killing myself with an apple for dinner. Drawing and writing everything so I could burn them later and watch the little black books crisp and curly in blue and green. Before I came home with my bike and whiskey fountain to find, my mother, a year later. I had not been missed.

© 2009 Ken Simm.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think Blackbirdsong is, in a sense, very much onto something here, but I think she may have misread one key element in the seemingly surface treatment of this relationship; I don't think this is the picture of a purely intellectual relationship (indeed, I believe it is almost its polar opposite), but one that is, from moment one, destined to be a fleeting one--I would think it's no accident that the piece begins with a breezy trivia question, which serves to emphasize the idea that this was no time and place for depth and forever-mores. The incongruities of the relationship are constantly emphasized--the Marx Brothers in Italian with French subtitles, the incompatibility of her "a mother and I was someone else's son", plus the way the fleeting nature of the affair is summed up (with flat-out brilliance, in my view) in the sentence "You like sax don't, did, didn't you?" This may be the finest of the Confounded Letters, and that is saying a mouthful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm minded of the days of the grand tour and also of the Bright Young Things of later Ken but also of the tragic story of the painter of my favourite painting 'The Fairyfeller's Masterstroke', Richard Dadd, the poor blighter who opiumed his head off then killed his dad in psychosis. And also of the wonderful Beatles with their wackiness which always made sense in the final analysis.
All these things that I love came to mind ~ this drew them all out like a winkle-picker and made me feel warm and fuzzy.
I can already see the modern Ken beginning to blossom in swathes here.
An enjoyable jaunt with milestones aplenty Sir.



Posted 7 Years Ago


Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

No way Ken! I'd love to read it.
Ken Simm.

7 Years Ago

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Ken%20Simm/331808/
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

Thanks - I had a quick peruse. Be back later for a proper read (or two).
Have a good day mate.. read more
Drawing and writing everything so I could burn them later and watch the little black books crisp and curly in blue and green.

This line of all the beautiful things in write stuck with me. I've never grasped why the talented destroy what they create? My family is full of destructive geniuses? Me? I burned ONE poem. Then I asked a friend to send a copy to me. I'm an idiot, really.

Posted 8 Years Ago


What WK said. Can I borrow your whiskey fountain? CD

Posted 9 Years Ago


CD Campbell

9 Years Ago

Isn't there multiple spellings?
Ken Simm.

9 Years Ago

Depends how much you have drunk.
CD Campbell

9 Years Ago

True, too true.
This does so appeal to the gypsy in my soul, bright red poppy's, now you know that spoke volumes to my heart. "Groucho, Harpo & Chico in Italian with French subtitles in the cabin at the back" your hyperlustrous paint stokes each scene in poetry much as you do in your fine paintings as well. Yours is a unique flair, painted from spirit and passion that is embodied from within your very core. I think the very reason your poetry speaks to me on such a deep and profound level. It is innately you, each word meticulously crafted which is the whole of you.

Always a deep sigh when I read your delicious words Ken, thank you for sharing a part of you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

You are more than welcome Frieda. And thank you for understanding so well. Long ago and far away thi.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Pleasure was all mine Ken, I love how you always dance me into another dimension.
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

Come back Frieda. Dance here once more. Hey I don't even mind if it's with Ken !!
A talking exhibition of painting and painters. Your prose is extremely colourful.
La Mer used to be played to us snotnoses by Monsieur Oliver Brown noted French teacher and - ooops do not speak ill of the dead.
The challenge for thought is of course the last sentence. We change; as other people and other circumstances change us: we return only to find that not only are we unable to dip our feet into the same river twice, our well-travelled feet are not the same either.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Too true Alex. Never the same again. Not been back since. Not sure I could handle it until recently... read more
Like this, I enjoy writing about travel, and when it is mixed with a poet`s vision it impresses me even more.
Love the fine,clever images here,the small pictures that fill this with life,the Marx brothers, the HB
pencils,our mate Camus,the ( sadly, I bet they were fine) burnt sketches...Excellent !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Nah they were rubbish Leslie. I was 19 and thought I could draw. Many thanks for all the support and.. read more
Painting with words, again Ken? You transported me with those words that settled into my mind in the form of vivid, crisp imagery. A melancholy journey, rife with beautiful evocative memory. And the writer's tone, speaking directly to the ghosty muse was stirring; and you, finishing hauntingly.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Yes I'm afraid so Diego. Can't seem to help myself. Thank you for looking and understanding.
Tree

10 Years Ago

Took the liberty of pulling up Trenet's LA MER, recognized it right away. Added yet another multi la.. read more
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Was what I seemed to be listening to throughout the entire year. So seemed to fit. A little bit of t.. read more
I read this and was in California watching waves and feeling sorry for the world. Then I came back and was dancing in a ville square up in the hills beyond the Rhode's harbor. then a lebanese woman took me through the streets of Istanbul ...Brit marines were laughing cause they were finally going HOME!! and then... I lay back on a glacier above Haarstadt...

Living is never the dream... is it? It's just what we do.

Sometimes I really understand - even me.

This one was a "GOOD" Poem Ken... a really, really good one...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Here we have the man who sees and feels the itsy grains of life, its moods and shadows, comings and goings, was and is, of time with 'the older woman'. How i love the way you observe that other within a love absolute tho transient:

' Crows that cawed over the impossible yellow fields of the South. Just as he said when he painted his insanity. Wine drunk rainbow headaches in the sunshine of the marsh of the flamingoes and the bulls. We argued insanity consistently, giving and taking talking grey, galling, grief. Wondering when it would end. '

You extend without over-exaggering, share without giving away the real secrets, but oh my goodness how you share!

' Saxophone playing, somewhere. You like sax, don't, did, didn't you?

The aforementioned Gypsy's with their black bread and potatoes.

Camus reading camera and crawling for Roman artefacts in the sandbanks on the river, when you left after writing the arguments down because I could not find the collapsible courage.'

Even though i feel like a voyeuse, I fully appreciate the wonderfully atmospheric near reportage of a time when .. when you were another you and happy. Can't imagine you unmissed, friend from ..

Thank you for nudging me to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1718 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on January 3, 2009
Last Updated on January 3, 2009

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Time Time

A Poem by Rain


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain