Her

Her

A Poem by Mackenzie Knitter
"

This poem is from a dark point in my life where I hid behind a smile because I hated myself, sorry if its a little dark.

"
I feel like I have forgotten myself. 
It's as if i've lost the battle, my opponent laughs at me in the mirror, celebrating her victory over me.
Her joyful smile is an outward reflection of the pain I feel inside. 
She really is beautiful, long blonde hair, sparkling green eyes, cherry lips.

I reach towards her, my hands curling in the anticipation of grasping her porcelain throat. 
However, as I reach closer to the expectation, she wilts. 
The light disappears, taking with it the illusion until I'm left staring at myself in the mirror, 
With my hands wrapped around my throat.

I see the echo of life in my eyes, now glazed with tears, as they threaten to overflow.
My once cherry lips are stained crimson in my effort to suppress my voice,
My tongue strains against my teeth, trying desperately to tell myself
I need help.

My hands tremble and I desperately gasp for air, filling my lungs with bittersweet guilt.

I am a coward.
I let go.
I breathe in.
I breathe out.

I see her starting to form again, before my eyes I see my progress crumble.

I hate her.
I need her.
I close my eyes.
She is in my head.

I open my eyes and she is back, a shield, a lie.
She protects me from myself.
I hate her.
I need her.

She smiles and I know my ugly secret is safe.
It's funny how much a smile looks like a grimace.
No one will ever know.

© 2015 Mackenzie Knitter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful poem. I felt the emotional battle in your words. I like the internal thoughts allowing the reader to feel the hidden emotion to the people near. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mackenzie Knitter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your insight, I really appreciate it :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.



Reviews

A powerful poem. I felt the emotional battle in your words. I like the internal thoughts allowing the reader to feel the hidden emotion to the people near. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mackenzie Knitter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your insight, I really appreciate it :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.
Wow this is very powerful. I love it! Continue writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mackenzie Knitter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Very easy to follow. You have a clear voice. I know the feeling herein. At the end the last two lines almost make a haiku which I couldn't help noticing. I wonder if women feel like this more than men? Social pressures, anxiety over being good enough for others, a hurt hidden inside. This makes me feel comfortable with the anger I have towards myself. Thanks.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mackenzie Knitter

8 Years Ago

Well this poem came from me being a people pleaser my entire life and if I looked tired, angry, sad .. read more
yes this is dark.........powerful..........NEVER apologize for that.........
judging from this writing........you have some poetic tools and talents.......
and maybe........it takes courage to face it........and not to end oneself...........
i believe we all at some point in our life, go through such situations..........our struggle could never be the same......but the emotions and feelings are the same......
all the best and take care......
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mackenzie Knitter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, its good to know that people understand and can relate to my poem, I appreciate t.. read more
Pushkar Prabhat

8 Years Ago

you are welcome............!!! :) :)
This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 16, 2015
Last Updated on July 16, 2015
Tags: poem, depression, self harm, suicidal thoughts, trapped, darkness, disguised

Author

Mackenzie Knitter
Mackenzie Knitter

Burnaby, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Canada



About
I just love to write and get my feelings out :) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


True Love True Love

A Poem by Gee