Letter to My Son – Visions of Change

Letter to My Son – Visions of Change

A Poem by Kerry Cochran
"

This is a poem that I wrote for my son

"

I’ve been sittin’ here thinkin’ about the past and how things went down.

I can slap myself in the face I hold this frown.

You flourished into a great young man, someone who makes me proud.

You went through obstacles and conquered challenges and landed on solid ground.

You put your head in them books and started seeking that knowledge you needed.

You graduated from high school and accomplishment you should be proud of.

 

My vision of change for you starts out at this point; your hip hop prowess is excellent ‘cause you speak from the heart.

All I want you to do is succeed in everyway.

to be the best and beat the rest; and always think smart.

 

My vision of change for you did not entail a dead end relationship but royalties and riches; record deal and plenty of b*****s.

You have such a good head on your shoulders, and a good heart.

But don’t get it twisted love is blind, so open your eyes and look at the big picture.

 

My vision of change for you is that you have your own crib so you can dictate what’s goin on and have that security.

To be able to thrive and relax, and come and go without a disability, to be self sufficient, and more independent, happy and joyful, fun and articulate, poised and distinguished like I know you can.

 

My vision of change for you is that you find that perfect woman who will appreciate you and get to know and accept and love you for you and not for monetary reasons, but because you are a truly wonderful and genuine man.

And that will accept you for making mistakes and embrace you for the guy that you are.

 

But my biggest vision of change for you is for your heart and soul to be free from hurt, turmoil, grief and regret.

 

I love you son and this is my letter to you.

© 2010 Kerry Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely written. Things that have personal meaning always come out so much better and its obvious that you meant what you wrote.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

393 Views
1 Review
Added on April 15, 2010
Last Updated on April 15, 2010

Author

Kerry Cochran
Kerry Cochran

Greensboro, NC



About
Ms. Cochran a young African American writer living in Greensboro, North Carolina. She has not currently done any poetry slams in North Carolina but would like to do this as a public venue and aspires.. more..

Writing