Hidden doors and passageways of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Hidden doors and passageways of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A Story by Kiari Sabon

“The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, is a book of mystery, fear and deformity’s.  A gothic novel that leaves the reader wondering at every turn. There are many elements to this novel but this analysis is only going to discuss three of the elements within the analysis of this horror. Good vs. evil, the manipulation of drug use and the links between split personalities and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde… now shall we continue to this passage of linking corridors?

            Of course we shall. When a human indulges in the temptations of wrong and wickedness, that wickedness becomes even more appealing. After holding the expected norm of society or even a beloved role model for a community it seems as though to be a release of being pent up. Like that of a wealthy individual that is well held in society and yet shop lifts for the thrill and release. In this since Dr. Jekyll found his release in the creation and animation of Mr. Hyde though experimental drug use. By day he held a position of wealth and respect and by night became a monster, a fiend of animalistic nature.   Even though Dr. Jekyll tried to redeem what Mr. Hyde had done each night and make all right, more so for himself than the harmed, he kept going to the darkness of himself throughout the darkness of night. The darkness began to over whelm the light of him. Whenever his guard was put down, Mr. Hyde began taking form replacing Dr. Jekyll. The light was being consumed by his ever growing darkness. He began fighting for control on both sides at times light winning over dark and at others dark winning over light. At the point of Mr. Hyde crossing Dr. Jekyll’s moral boundaries, by killing a man of high regards in society, the fight between light and dark was at its most critical. At last Dr. Jekyll was able to overcome his other self and return to society regaining his old friends and throwing his evening gatherings. But alas it could not last the temptation of darkness once again called to him and Hyde emerged. When Dr. Jekyll attempted to succeed over Mr. Hyde again it was not to be. Far and wide he sent for the powder that was his cure or yet his poison. Only short was a time when Jekyll emerged again to breathe the air of the city being spotted by his beloved friend Mr. Utterson and unfortunate end. But alas it came to an end with a slam of a window to be seen no more. Darkness had won even as fear had won over darkness…

 

            The effects of drugs can warp an individual mentally and spiritually. Addiction, withdraws, mood swings, effects on the body. Drugs can do so much as we can see from Mr. Hyde’s being. He became like a juggernaut, a man of strength and speed. Not unlike steroids can do to a person. Like meth and an addict the drug that Dr. Jekyll took to create Mr. Hyde he soon took a liking to its effects. A sense of freedom, born with the change. With the taking of the drug he also experienced the changes in shaking and pain as some drugs can do to people when they take it nearly over dossing or withdrawing from the substance. He soon took it even as he knew the risks and cruelty of the deformed Mr. Hyde. The deformity of Mr. Hyde can also represent the change for the worse in an individual that is under the influence of drugs. Like an addict he began to have uncontrollable rages even at one time killing a man. He craved and needed it even after this act. But he wanted to get out, and had his butler search far and wide for the cure to his poison. In this since he was like so many that wish to stop a drug and yet can’t find his way out and unfortunately fell to its demise falling to it in the end and tragically leading to his death not unlike some addicts.

 

            Multiple personalities, it can be used as a form of self-defense from something tragic in  one’s life, something that individual is unable to cope with or a way to allow themselves to  unknowingly do something they couldn’t  do themselves in one prospective. It is a way for them  to step up subconsciously in a since or like a small child sheltering themself from the evil in the world like a teddy bear or blanket but even then darkness can still seep through. Dr. Jekyll was merely cirrus about the possibilities to separate aspects of a person. The risks of his research were high and yet he continued… finding his answer Mr. Hyde. His discovery was a thing to be awed and feared. He had done it, but by releasing all in him that was corrupt. He indeed became an aspect of a man with split personalities but created from science instead of necessity of the mind or deformity of the mind. Unlike a person with split personalities however, Dr. Jekyll could control his transformations of Mr. Hyde... at first. Soon it developed into a case truly like that a person with this disorder. His other side taking form when it wasn’t wanted and controlling their life. Yet still unlike this disorder Dr. Jekyll was able to recall the cruelty and deeds his other self, Mr. Hyde had done. Where this a true case he would have had no recollection of theses transformations or thought process of Mr. Hyde. Yet as of the other aspects of his case it is indeed similar to that of split personalities.

 

            In the analysis of the horror “The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, the elements of split personalities (the animation of a subconscious self), good vs. evil (choosing between kindness or wickedness, right and wrong), and as well as the effects of drugs have been linked through it (the changes of someone physically, spiritually and mentally). Though there are many elements that web through this book these seem to have a solid foundation within the story. The freedom of corruption and its struggles with the light. The appeal and addiction as well as harm of drugs. The struggle of two individuals within one vessel. Now that the halls of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde we may exit and close this haunting door.

© 2012 Kiari Sabon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on September 28, 2012
Last Updated on September 28, 2012

Author

Kiari Sabon
Kiari Sabon

morehead, KY



About
Im broken its as simple as that but it seems all writers have seen the darkest and brightest moments being able to capture the hearts of so many. I can't bring myself to talk to those i should but whe.. more..

Writing
Rada Rada

A Poem by Kiari Sabon