Siege

Siege

A Story by Requiem
"

A seasoned knight must choose between protecting his country, or protecting his princess...

"
  Outside of the church, Phoenix could hear the sounds of the wall giving away. Sweat formed on his brow as he waited, kneeling, for the Princess to turn and do something. She had been at the alter since the invasion started. He appreciated that she wanted to pray, but prayer can only do so much. The people need their Queen.

She wore the simple black robes of mourning. Phoenix felt a guilt as he remembered the late King. Turning his back on his country to save the one he loved. Many would view it as the King wishing for his daughter's safety, but Phoenix knew it was more selfishness on his part. He didn't want the Princess to die that day.

The wall came down with a crash, and the cathedral shook as something hit it.

The Princess remained calm, her lips mouthing a silent prayer.

Phoenix couldn't stand it anymore. He jumped up, talking out of turn.

I understand your loss, the deep sorrow you hold in your heart. I am not asking for you to stop mourning, I only ask for you to step up and take charge of your country.” Phoenix stepped forward, pulling her away from the candles, facing her towards him.

This isn't my kingdom.” The Princess lowered her head, drops fell from her eyes.

Yes it is, when the King passed, you inherited all this.” Another shake. “And now, if you don't step up and take charge, act like a real princess, all that he created will be destroyed.”

I can't.” She whispered.

Phoenix coldly let her go, turning his back on her.

Where are you going?” She reached out for him.

He shook the grip off and continued down the isle.

I am going to defend my country. The country of my ancestors. The country of my King.” He unsheathed his sword, and unhooked his shield.

But you'll be killed.” The Princess screamed out.

Phoenix lowered his head.

At least I'm trying to save my country.” His head turned, giving her a look she hadn't seen in a very, very long time.

They were the eyes of disappointment.

© 2012 Requiem


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012
Tags: war, army, wall, princess, guard, defend, life, family, king, monarch, conviction

Author

Requiem
Requiem

Australia



Writing
Sunset Sunset

A Story by Requiem