Numb

Numb

A Poem by M.Kilani

Sky of grey 
Fading ray
Clouds hiding the sun
What has became to the one

Be strong, I've been told
Be wise, be bold 
Grab all you can hold
Nowadays everything can be sold

Now I'm older, colder and wise
Homeless from dawn till next sunrise
Tamed are my screams 
Repeated are my dreams

Special, strong yet alone
Honer that all men can't scorn
No remorse, no regret
A fading soul behind a cigarette

Sky of grey
Flesh and clay
Redeeming the undone 
Pen I hold against a gun 

Nothing it declares
for no one ever dares 
No one either cares 
For all has gone numb 

© 2013 M.Kilani


Author's Note

M.Kilani
Reviews are welcomed

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Mohammad...I enjoyed your poem and yes the pen is sharper then the sword especially in the newspaper business as I read your comments to James...Fading soul behind a cigarette...I interpreted that to be a man retiring as my husband retired from the newspaper business a few years ago...he was a circulation director... enjoyed reading James review to you also...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


M.Kilani

10 Years Ago

Dear Rose,
Thank you for your review, I'm really glad you you agree and relate to the poem an.. read more
Dear friend

High time I returned the compliment of yours tender and critical reviews of my writing.

You have a wide library to pick from and I chose this as your title attracted me.

It is a point worth noting, the importance of a title as it can as easily get you picked off a bookshelf by a consumer reader as left on the shelf for hat reason alone.

As I start this review, I am never sure how it will take shape.

I think as I write.

Perhaps my reviews might be more concise if I thought first then wrote my reviews - as in I would have made this shorter had I had the time!

But my reactions are often emotional (though my commentaries can also be very structured).

Perhaps that is the best you might derive from a reader the single emotional and therefore very effective reaction of one reader to the writing and to the author who stands behind it.

Let's see where this review goes as it goes.

Usual first: In your case a very brief profile, no author's note, just the title and the words on the page to judge / form an opinion.

As it springs to mind first, let's do style and rhyme: Six four line stanzas. Sophisticated rhyming structure in each stanza broadly maintained through out 'aabb'

Iambs or metre. Varies in each stanza but there is an effective beat of the drum here which is mellow on the ear.

Repetition and subtle switch: I love your early:

'Sky of grey
Fading ray'

followed later by:

'Sky of grey
Flesh and clay'

A switch in gear and meaning.

Use of English: Simple. No complex vocabulary. Sometimes erudite words help; sometimes they hinder. Here I feel the straightforward and simple way in which you use language assists the simple (?) message.

Grammar: Just one comment. You use the word 'honer' as a noun. No such noun exists in the dictionary to my knowledge unless my dictionary is as useless as I am. Hone as a verb and a noun yes 'whet a stone' 'perfect' Should you be creating the noun and that be your sense fine. but alternatively you may mean 'honour'. Let me know. Intrigued.

As a child I used to read Mervyn Peake the author of the Gormenghast trilogy. I used to get lost it his language and every other page took delight in finding a word I didn't understand, look it up in a dictionary and write it in a little note book. It was only in later life I realised he made up his own words which I couldn't find in a dictionary.

I love his quote on the topic as follows:

“We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect.”
― Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan

Just a thought.

Content and meaning and the writer behind the writing, always my favourite focus: All I have to go on so far is the title 'Numb' So who is numb about what is the obvious question?

As I enter the poem, your meaning does not jump off the page. There are many allusions, however attractive and they all are not always easy to grasp.

But then I like a poet make me ponder.

As with all writers they all have their own personal meaning, known only to them.

But likewise in such cases you can only accept that the reader will give their own personal response.

It is like I am prone to say 'Either I will pick out the assailant in a police line up or put the innocent behind bars'.

My take to which I am entitled?

1) A sense of a disillusioned person, more so a writer;

2) First two stanzas earlier tenets upon which you reflect, right or wrong;

3) Switch in the third stanza to older but wiser. Still you feel lost. You want to scream at the world but you can't find the right words;

4) Fourth stanza a sense of self esteem. Wise enough to self respect; the past is the past and so be it with no regret. Yet you still hide and are lost behind the comfort of a cigarette in reflection on life;

5) Fifth Stanza: However dark the life you feel you lead, or however unable to feel enough to be able to write, you prefer the pen above the sword or the 'gun';

6) But finally you descend back into depression that writing has become a fruitless task in the excellently worded:

'Nothing it declares
for no one ever dares
No one either cares
For all has gone numb'

Your pen holds no weight. And even if it did you do not have the courage and even if you did, no-one would listen - hence back to your title you feel 'numb'.

My call. My view to which I am entitled in much the same way as you are entitled to write it and in so doing ask the reader to think and guess.

An exceptionally well written piece!

As I respect you highly Mohammad, might I ask you a favour.

I have a book with a moral cause being readied for publication after having been read by a personal friend John Le Carre and his agent, Johny Geller, Managing Direcvtor of Curtis Brown, probably the biggest agency worldwide.

Whilst much praised, I was told to go away and improve on it before Johny was prepared to tout it round publishers.

It is a book with a moral cause. I suffer from a mental health disorder (bipolar disorder). The book seeks to comfort those with mental health disorders and those who love them to know they know they are not alone in their suffering; but also to educate those who know nothing of it, so as to help them better understand, accept, not reject and thereby lift the lingering attaching stigma.

As I respect you highly, I would seek your review.

Should this book be published, a proportion of the proceeds will be streamed to mental health charities.

Constructive reviews will also be honoured at the choice of the reviewer with a named acknowledgement and if within my power a summary of their collected works so as to market them too.

I am a businessman at hear,. I did deals in the past worth billions in Mergers and Acquisitions as a consultant and I am treating this as a piece of heartfelt business.

Once heavily edited here, I shall be addressing the famous bipolar for a read and a comment so that when I go back to Johny Geller, I will actually have done his job for him and premarketed the book.

What sells a book, even if tripe is as much the names on the back cover as the content.

Publication is just business like any other. Their only objective to make money. That's it.

One therefore has to hit the market that way.

I know what I am doing here.

Can you please pay me the honour of highly intelligent and highly critical review of Split if you feel it within your bandwidth?

It would be much appreciated.

In parting excellent poem well written



James Hanna-Magill



Posted 11 Years Ago


M.Kilani

11 Years Ago

My dear fellow writer Hanna,
All thanks and respect for your honest review, not in defense but.. read more
James Hanna-Magill

11 Years Ago

Dear Mohammad

What a gracious an intelligent man you are!

There is as much.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013

Author

M.Kilani
M.Kilani

Amman, Jordan



About
"The more you read the better you write" more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114