Dear Charlotte

Dear Charlotte

A Story by A Watcher In Time
"

This is a collection of letters inspired by the greats. Salem's Lot, Dracula, to name a few.

"

My Dearest Charlotte,

I have arrived at Dervich Manor unharmed, and may I say that it is actually quite impressive. Upon my arrival I had noted that the house had a whole wall of windows, some covered in ivy, others are sparkling clean as the sun shines through them. I wonder, my love, if this is the kind of place where we shall raise our children. Should we do so I would want to make sure that they had some steady access to other playmates as the house is rather secluded. Up here, in the mountains, one can get an overwhelming feeling of loneliness. Looking out to see the village below, so tiny and miniscule, it creates a sense of distance. But enough about that!

My employer, Mr.Salvador, is quite the interesting man. The vast majority of his time is spent with me in his study. During the long hours of the day we are to spend time trying to figure out shipping routes. Recently it seems our ships have been attacked by various bands of roving pirates, which has put the fear of God into the common man. It is my hope that we can solve this problem before any more lives are ruined. It seems that Mr.Salvador is just as enthusiastic for a solution, for his brother seems to be a ship captain for our fine company. At dinner I have tried to make some kind of conversation outside of our work to Salvador, but it seems to me that he isn’t interested in my life. Every conversation leads back to the start or at the point where his brother must be mentioned. To have so much time occupied by a single person must be maddening. That is not to say that you, my sweet, are not in my thoughts. Not at all. He just seems to be more desperate for his relationship than I am.

Right now it seems that we are to prepare for a trip to the village below to meet with a local correspondent such as myself. This journey may take a few days, so I will mail this letter immediately so it may reach you by the time we reach our destination. When we return I sincerely hope I will find your reply.  

Forever Yours, Henry

Charlotte,

I am scribbling this on a scroll I had bought from a local merchant. It seems that during our trip a man has come dead. His body was found in the woods nearly torn in half by one savage cut. Since I am a gentlemen I will refrain from giving you any further detail on the incident, as I know your heart will not take it. Please my dear, know that I love you. That you are the woman I have lived my whole life to meet. Do not worry about my safety, as I am nearly always with Mr.Salvador. He is a passionate man who simply would not allow for harm to come to me. My only worry is that by telling you this you will immediately call for me to be returned home. I beg you to not do so. Should I remain vigilant I shall remain safe.

-Your Devoted Husband,

Henry

My Sweetest Flower Charlotte,

I have returned to the Manor safely, and you need no longer worry. I read your replies to my earlier letters, and am happy to know that you are fine. I love you more with every passing day. Your smile could move mountains, shape villages, and distort time. You are my greatest companion. Now that I have soothed your worries allow me to continue my tale. We remained in the village for only a few more days, and after having reached an agreement with our correspondent (which was to hire some local men to help fend off the rogues) we promptly took a carriage back home. The manor no longer seems as daunting to me anymore. Having seen the act of a sick man puts everything in perspective. What was once a somewhat empty place seems more comforting. At least in the hallways and galleries here host people whom I know will remain kind to me.

Your Entirely Sound Husband,

Henry

Mr.Salvador,

I can barely hold myself together. What we did, what we had to do...tears me apart. Sleep has evaded me for days now, and it seems that I am seeing things that are not real. Of course it is clear that we were simply protecting the people from the ravages of that hedonistic cult of b******s...but why? How can we forgive ourselves for sawing that man in half while he was  screaming for escape? The child we held down to drown nearly clawed my eyes out, and I am uncertain how I will explain these things to Charlotte. Perhaps we simply need to seek the forgiveness of the all merciful God. Yes, he should give me the answers I need. Regardless of my moral state I have done the things you require.

During my time that was normally devoted for sleep I have taken to working on our machine. It is still a long ways from becoming the gun you wish it to be, but I am certain that I can do it. All I need is more time, and more power. From the clouds on the horizon there will most likely be a thunderstorm. Fitting is it not? To harness the raw power of God’s wrath upon his most hated creatures? It is time for me to venture outside, and will patiently await your return on the marrow.


Dear Mrs.Charlotte

It is to my deepest sorrow to inform you that your husband has passed away. He had been suffering from a sickness of the heart while in my care. Please know that he is in the hands of a God whom he loved very much, and I can be certain that he will be living in Heaven with all the other Angles. I will be traveling nearly from the moment that I send this letter, and should it arrive before I do know that you will not be alone.

-Your Faithful Friend,

Salvador

Dear Mr.Rowan,

You were correct in assuming that Henry would break. After only half of a mission in the village below his mind broke. Unfortunately, he was planning on informing his wife of the situation to expose our knighthood, and give out our technology to the general public. Thankfully I was able to dispose of him before this became the case. Out of this loss we have gained a massive asset. The gun which he had been perfected was operating a full capacity upon my arrival. Should be utilize this weapon fighting God’s most hated creatures. Having tested this weapon personally on a monster I had kept locked in my basement. As of right now I am headed out to dispose of the wife, and make sure there will be no evidence left of our order.

There is something that I feel I must inform you of, however. During my stay in the village there was a death that went unaccounted for. We arrived, and a man was found nearly torn in half. Perhaps this was a random act of violence by some jealous man, but it sent chills down my spine. I had not seen death like this since the incident in 1884. Having reflected upon this conundrum for some time I have come to the conclusion that we may well have a larger problem on our hands. Just as a precaution I would like to request a small strike team be sent to my position upon my return to Dervich Manor. My first priority will be to ensure that the area is secure, and that the men in my employ are trustworthy. One a final note, there was a young man who recently lost of his family in a ‘bear attack’ who would be the perfect candidate for our knighthood. Will be taking him under my wing shortly.

-Your Fellow Knight,

Salvador

Dear Mr.Salvador,

I see my husband knew of my work in the village, and I must say you were quite the thorn in my side for some time. Thank you for taking care of two problems at once. -Charlotte

© 2015 A Watcher In Time


Author's Note

A Watcher In Time
I don't normally do a story like this if you cannot tell, so I'd really appreciate some excellent feedback. Please keep things constructive, and as always any spelling or grammar mistakes are to be pointed out. Thanks again!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"for his brother seems to be a ship captain" - what about "is" instead of "seems to be".
I'm enjoying reading this style. The format of letter reading is giving you ample opportunity to explore the characters' personalities and show things like wanting children instead of telling.

Epic ending :) I hoped we'd here from Charlotte. Whenever her husband patronized her I suspected she was more than ordinary.
Quite a fun read :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is pretty good!
I recommend that you read it out loud to yourself. You'll probably catch the weird parts.
Good work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A Watcher In Time

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, and I actually have done that to discover there were some odd spots. It is on m.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015
Tags: Marriage, supernatural, occult, letters

Author

A Watcher In Time
A Watcher In Time

About
Hello, and welcome to my humble profile. I'm just someone who enjoys writing things for people with as little spelling or grammar errors as possible. Most of my work is based in science fiction or fan.. more..

Writing