Fairy Box

Fairy Box

A Story by KingJoseph

Once the box opened, a life would end. It was silly how the world agreed to this "Pandora's Box" farce.

               “This is to save the world!”, they said.


               All it did however, was kill humanity. Though I beg to differ after all, could we still call ourselves humans? What we did to those fairies could never be called a human act. “Inhumane”? Demon I say. I was no less different. I watched Merilyn step inside the box where she would call her final “light”… hers was not the only light that died there. I had ceased to be human.


               It was in the year 20XX where we had used up the final bits of non-renewable resources. The sudden loss of these materials could not be compensated by the renewable power plants the world had tried to build in response to the depletion. The innovation of these new power plants could not catch up with the rate of loss for energy and soon, many countries fell. Energy was after all, a main source of life. Terathy was the name of my town. It was the only place where a forest still existed. People sought to destroy the big forest and at night you could hear the screams of the trees that I once climbed in my youth. I could not do anything against these mechanical beasts they use to devour that of which I call home. 


"Home is a place where I could always be accepted", says Lydia the once orphaned girl I used to visit a lot. 


I never really had one I guess. Such definition I got from a young girl recently adopted. She seemed to be more familiar with the concept than a 30 year me. How could I know of what a home was, I never really felt like I belonged. I guess to me, home was where I resided all of my life. No where to go and no where to be but here and as I was realizing it, I had started to lose my only place of existence. Should the town disappear, I too would. 


It was then the beings appeared, you could call them “Fairies” or whatnot. They were what saved the lost of my only point of focus. Apparently, their leader made a deal with the humans, 


"in exchange for the provision of energy, they would cease efforts to cut down the last tree", says the fairy queen Harelquinn.

 

Humans abided, they were desperate rather than amazed at the existence of these forest guardians. The queen was a sparkling figure yet to me, she was more of familiar. Fairies were not as small as humans imagined them but it was the closest description I could give for they were girls with wings. She sparkled and was filled with life, I felt so revitalized as if I could fly as well which was a silly thought of mine for a grown man to imagine having wings and flying around. Though if I did, I'd have no where to go either way. 


               What was familiar though was her smile. Jonathan said it allured him, oh how captivated he was that he would leave his dear Mary in no time. Who wouldn't be, such an amazing figure was shown to him. The closest thing he got to that was the image of his late sister whom he had kept a photo off. She had died from an accident. She was climbing trees when the mechanical beast appeared, so swiftly she was lost. 


The smile reminded me of my mothers, although hers was even colder. My mother had sold her soul to the devil, better known as my father. He was an abusive man and I’m glad he is gone. He brought with him the pain and the sadness and the sorrow and it was just too much to bear. I drowned in helplessness, born without purpose and born unwanted. Pain is what I perceived as love and to me, it was the only love I felt that was real. It was always there, it was all they ever showed me. I had searched for it, and because of it, I had lost the only people who knew of my existence as they were the cause of it. Life was silly; if men knew reason, they would be nothing. Knowing of what comes after ceases what you would call life. I guess that is why my soul exists, it precedes reason of its very existence. Why am I even here... I remember a memory. 


               “Don’t go”, I screamed.


               “Let go you b*****d, we have no responsibility to care for you! You… YOU MONSTER”, my father replied.


               As far as I knew, he was the monster. He took my mother and the last I saw of her was the smile so familiar that it seems to have followed me. I saw it in Lydia, as she smiled her way through the difficulties of abandonment. How brave she was, her smile so very sly as to fool people like me into thinking she was capable. That she could handle something not even I have fully. 


I was the mayor of the town, I had lived long enough to understand the workings of Terathy. It was a simple give and take, the people settled for the resources and the forest thrived in the care of its inhabitants. A mutual benefit reduced to one sided by people who did not even belong. The greed of humans goes no bound, constantly needed security to live peacefully. They invited me to visit their laboratory where energy was generated, they call it Fairy’s Light. 


If only they had accepted their fate, they did not have to end this way 


               I was with a boy, his name Martin and he too had wings but very tiny. He was a unique one sadly, I dislike fairies and he was no exception. Nonetheless, I was given him to join me in the tour, must be some sort of tourist gimmick wherein the fairies are hired to tour the humans to a magical world.


               The mechanics were they would place a fairy inside a box where she is put to sleep. It’s pretty sweet actually, they would be briefed of the human world. It was a serum that was able to manipulate dreams. The fairies were very emotional, and with it came great power. They told us happiness was the strongest, how convenient for the fairies. Perhaps that’s where they got the name “Fairies light”, but it was the humans who enjoyed their light. We were led to a room to watch the process. We were watching from the glass window of the upper floor, kind of like directors watching a band of surgeons do an operation. In the room was a metallic box. It was a scream of Dystopia, of course, I had not known that till later on. A huge floating box more magical than any of these fairies would ever be, only to be made by humans. We played God here, I already saw how we overstepped our bounds.

 

It was symmetric and colored black and screamed human technology. It had a cubic design as if it were ready to shift shape. The lines etched on the box seemed to lead to the bottom most part of the cube. The design was haunting and intricate. The lines were what made the cube intricate. It seemed array but rather, was connected all to a singularity. Kind of like how Terathy was for me. I was an intricate existence whose soul had no reason of existence. Perhaps I would end up inside the cube like how I ended up in the laboratory, like how I ended up in Terathy. It really did draw me in as if the cube itself was designed for me. I was being called, I was meant to be in that box. The patterns were mesmerizing, I got curious. I yearned to be in that box as if I had belonged there. As if I had found the home that I was never given. Perhaps Terathy was no more than a stepping stone, how quickly I changed my mind of where my singularity was. What would mother say I wonder, she would probably pat my back and tell me to hurry along. Her smile, I missed it, it was cold and the Box was cold as well.

               

© 2016 KingJoseph


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm intrigued by the concepts and futuristic world, and your use of the mechanical vs the magical. You weave in some of the subtext of the character writing, and I like hearing his story, however sad. It seems like there might be missing transitions between that character's story and then the telling of what is happening with the fairies- but perhaps that is intentional, to make the reader wonder and read the next chapter. I don't quite understand, yet, the beauty of the fairies and their deal and offer, and the main characters conclusion that accepting them was a Pandora's box- are the fairies a beautiful evil? Or is it the humans with their post-cataclysmic would and mechanization that are the evil? Again, this may be intentional to draw me to read more and find out. You have some wonderful phrasing and descriptions, as well as some great emotional content. And I definitely am intrigued by the draw to this cube, and perhaps his destiny, or a fatal siren-like call to the box. I'll read on- thanks for the interesting and mysterious read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful review Marianne! I will take note of all your insights surely! I.. read more
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Twenty back and read it again and everything makes sense to me now. So many parallels in our world. .. read more
KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Yes, heinous act but for a good cause. I like to make evident the concept of choosing the lesser evi.. read more



Reviews

An intriguing tale... seemingly inspired by the face of an all to dismal future..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great opening line. The whole thing is mysterious and intruiging. I like the vaguery of it. I can tell there's so much I'm not being told and I would be drawn to reading more to find out. Your narrator is a wonderful character. I really feel as though I'm inside his head. His thoughts aren't linear but no one's are. It makes him feel real to me. Your writing is beautiful. Wonderful word choice and phrasing. I'd love to read more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Awww thank you for this wonderful review! I guess the difficulties in trying to create a better narr.. read more
great start, it introduced everything

Posted 7 Years Ago


KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you :)
I'm intrigued by the concepts and futuristic world, and your use of the mechanical vs the magical. You weave in some of the subtext of the character writing, and I like hearing his story, however sad. It seems like there might be missing transitions between that character's story and then the telling of what is happening with the fairies- but perhaps that is intentional, to make the reader wonder and read the next chapter. I don't quite understand, yet, the beauty of the fairies and their deal and offer, and the main characters conclusion that accepting them was a Pandora's box- are the fairies a beautiful evil? Or is it the humans with their post-cataclysmic would and mechanization that are the evil? Again, this may be intentional to draw me to read more and find out. You have some wonderful phrasing and descriptions, as well as some great emotional content. And I definitely am intrigued by the draw to this cube, and perhaps his destiny, or a fatal siren-like call to the box. I'll read on- thanks for the interesting and mysterious read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful review Marianne! I will take note of all your insights surely! I.. read more
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Twenty back and read it again and everything makes sense to me now. So many parallels in our world. .. read more
KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Yes, heinous act but for a good cause. I like to make evident the concept of choosing the lesser evi.. read more
Beautifully written, intriguing but also confusing. Would love to read more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Feniks! I will elaborate more on the next parts! Please do continue to read on :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2016
Last Updated on July 2, 2016

Author

KingJoseph
KingJoseph

About
Hi! I am Joseph and I am a freelancer. I have submitted stories online both for profit and for the heck of it. I love writing and it makes me happy to create stories I wish I could live in. I hope tha.. more..

Writing
The Self The Self

A Poem by KingJoseph