Fairy Box: 2nd Chapter

Fairy Box: 2nd Chapter

A Story by KingJoseph

Martin, like all fairies, had the power to peek into the memories of humans. This is done through physical contact. Martin described it as a surge of information reaching his brain that he no longer needed to process as if these were his memories as well. How unpleasant that I was made the subject, I was required to hold his hand during the duration of the trip. Martin was unique in a sense that he lacked emotions which was a key factor in the production of energy. He was premature perhaps, but to them he was already a failed specie. Young fairies tend to produce the biggest light in moments of pure happiness. The box works in the same process as fairies in terms of memory manipulation. Perhaps this is powered by the fairies themselves but instead of acquiring information, the power is used against them. Their memories are brought to life, happy memories as out of all the emotions, happiness produces the highest energy output. It sounded simple at that time and perhaps it always was, humans tend to complicate the basics. 

"You are, like me", Martin said in a confused look. 

I was insulted, to be compared to fairy that was deemed an outcast by its own kind. Something more unique than the already "unique". Someone like him had absolutely no place to belong. Shunned by his very own kind and could not even serve to be useful to humans. We were similar in regards to situation but no way were we the same. I could not accept that a mere kid such as him could even fathom the future that would have no meaning. How could he understand what I had to go through, the pain that I felt all these years of constant search that would, ironically, constantly lead to ends. It was his fault for being born useless. My fault was being born at all. He was an existence who could not complete his purpose. I was an existence without. 

I gave him a silent response, I felt no need to answer a question from a kid. An inexperienced being unfamiliar with whats to come. Yet this did not stop his eagerness to find someone like him, perhaps he felt like I was his only chance to find a family that shunned him, to find a father that would tell him that everything was alright. That proves his inexperience, a broken toy belongs nowhere as its purpose had ended. To say he was emotionless because of the pain he felt, rather his eyes said otherwise. Premature in fact that he still had expectations, still believing the fairy tales his existence belonged to. The only fairy tale he could have experienced was inside that box but he could not even do that. We had reached our room, two beds one stationed on each corner. There was a middle table with a lamp on top, three drawers. Nothing peculiar, and nothing special. There were lines on the floor similar to the ones I saw in the cube. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me. 

"There is no night for you, why is that?" Martin asked.

I was shaken, I was terrified. 

I remember that night when father's frustrations finally manifested, aimed towards dear mother. He was a man of anger. He had cold eyes and his hand was iron. A firm being and hardworking but, like Martin, was shunned. He had no talent, not that would be useful in the outside world. Day after day, years in fact, of searching only to fail. He was destined to fail no matter how hard he tried. Chance was given but it might as well have not knowing the end would be the same. It got in his head along with the alcohol. Cold, silent yet firm. Perhaps too cold, perhaps too silent. If only he were still, if only he had stayed. I accepted him, I loved him nonetheless. I felt his warmth, I felt his life. Yet he only felt the cold. So cold, so- so silent. 

It was the coldest I've ever felt

"Please come back!", I screamed as I woke up. 

I was breathing heavily, it seemed I fell asleep right away. I was shaking relentlessly, I could not control myself. I was terrified. The dream was too much. It was all too much. I wished to be freed so badly. The regret was there. I wanted to be held. I wanted to feel the warmth. I wanted to feel the intensity of his frustrations. 

I WANTED TO FEEL HIS LIFE. I NEEDED TO KNOW HE WAS REAL.


"I'm sorry, Father."

© 2016 KingJoseph


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful capturing of the backstory of the main character, and a little more clarity about the fairies and humans. I'm not sure where the cube went- I want to know what happened there as you were drawn into it. And why the Pandora's box, and whether the fairies were being exploited by humans or vice verse. Look forward to another chapter, but this one was an easy read-something I like in stories- I like just enough mystery to make me read on but not so much to frustrate my attempts to understand. A hard balance to achieve. I feel the background of the cube, the fairies energy deal with humans need more development in chapter 1, or in a prologue that gives the background more. Hope you find this constructive- I like your writing and the story elements, as well as how you capture the experience and feelings of growing up with a batterer, unwanted, no purpose discovered yet. Thanks for a great read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much again for the wonderful and constructive review! I feel that I built so much backg.. read more



Reviews

Beautiful capturing of the backstory of the main character, and a little more clarity about the fairies and humans. I'm not sure where the cube went- I want to know what happened there as you were drawn into it. And why the Pandora's box, and whether the fairies were being exploited by humans or vice verse. Look forward to another chapter, but this one was an easy read-something I like in stories- I like just enough mystery to make me read on but not so much to frustrate my attempts to understand. A hard balance to achieve. I feel the background of the cube, the fairies energy deal with humans need more development in chapter 1, or in a prologue that gives the background more. Hope you find this constructive- I like your writing and the story elements, as well as how you capture the experience and feelings of growing up with a batterer, unwanted, no purpose discovered yet. Thanks for a great read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KingJoseph

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much again for the wonderful and constructive review! I feel that I built so much backg.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
1 Review
Added on July 2, 2016
Last Updated on July 2, 2016

Author

KingJoseph
KingJoseph

About
Hi! I am Joseph and I am a freelancer. I have submitted stories online both for profit and for the heck of it. I love writing and it makes me happy to create stories I wish I could live in. I hope tha.. more..

Writing
The Self The Self

A Poem by KingJoseph