Fairy Box: 3rd Chapter

Fairy Box: 3rd Chapter

A Story by KingJoseph

We were once again brought to that very room overlooking what I described as the rise of Dystopia. The box looked different this time, it had lost its symmetric shape and had transformed into the shape of a tree. Not surprising at all as these fairies had spent their whole lives hidden in the trees. It seemed the box took shape of that which was most dearest to these fairies. Quite a complex tool, as to how it came to existence even I couldn't say. Luckily, the professor arrived to finally meet me and Martin. 

"Pleasure to meet you and thank you for agreeing to join us in this project", the professor greeted us followed by a handshake. 

I wasn't much of a talker, all I asked was how the cube worked. The professor began to explain. It was early in the 19XXs that the top brains had foreseen the eventual collapse of the resources. Population growth couldn't be stopped. Mass genocide was always an option, no matter how unethical it seemed and perhaps that explain the sudden disappearance and implementation of "The Seeding Project". A horrible idea created by the top brass of each country. It worked in a way that chosen volunteers would be welcomed to a so called paradise called "Eden". How ironic, naming after the paradise we had lost. This was a face for the mass genocide that occurred within that paradise. It was the first artificially created land and could perhaps be called the first cube prototype as it dealt with memory manipulation but not as powerful as there were no fairies to serve as the catalyst. This was simpler, it was based on analyzing the current lifestyle of the majority. These were not exactly "volunteers" but rather the promised idea that the top offered made sure that these "volunteers" would then choose to volunteer and be part. These were the shadier roots of society, people born with talent. The professor had a dark humor, he chuckled at his own remark;

"A fitting end for these people, nothing ever comes free in this world. They sought for something too good to be true and perhaps they did find it. After all, they were freed from the harshness of this world. They died a noble death and forever will be remembered. They were the seeds sown, soon to grow into what we are now."

He then went on to the soon discovery of fairies which they found in Terathy, if they had known of this backwater country earlier, could there have been hope for the so called "volunteers"? I did not bother asking. After all, suppose there were no fairies in Terathy, I believe I would have been a "volunteer" as well. Fairies soon agreed under the decree of Queen Harlequinn, what choice did she have I wonder. The humans gave her no option. We were always the sly talkers, perhaps we follow after the snake that we had always blamed for the loss of Eden. But it was actually Eve who chose to fall into temptation. Now, we were actually the snakes to these fairies but instead of giving them an option, we made them choose the lesser evil. The professor could not see what we saw, after all, he would never have been chosen as a "volunteer". In fact, no one in this facility would. This agreement was what fueled the development of the second and successful prototype known as "Fairy Box" and they even built it on the same place as where all those mass genocide occurred, in the heart of Eden. Eden because a flourished city. The seeds have sprouted and everything has fallen into place. The main facility where the first and only box was where we were now, 50 years after the agreement. The Fairy Queen was never seen since, only her people were willingly brought to the city. About 50 fairies per month. They would a trail of light that would last for a week, known as "Light Road". The professor was the one who added the aesthetic features of the cube, mainly the transforming feature. He was proud of it but I was more curious with the intricate lines the cube had.

"The cube transforms into the memory that the fairy most cherishes. This was so we could analyze the culture of these mysterious creatures whose whereabouts have long disappeared. Over the last 20 years since this feature was added, we have seen different and fascinating images. What you see now is what we can determine as a new type of tree they had created. This was given the name "Tree of Light" as it would shine. Look at the lines, see how they fluctuate. The lines determine the changes in structure. You could say these are the signs of the fairies. Their light truly is marvelous. Leaving behind such power, both in trees and in humans. I have spent my entire life researching these fairies and until now, every time I see the cube transform, I cannot help but tear up".

The professor gave us some time to enjoy the flashing lights of the lines which seemed to point towards a center. My own observation says that these lines were more than just signs of fairies but rather, their lifeline. My own curiousness had distracted me from the shaking hand of Martins. As if he had a different interpretation out of all this.

"What is then, Martin?", I asked.

"I- I touched him..., They are... d-dying", Martin said as he was shaking to no end and his tears started to fall. 

"What do you mean?", I asked further, gripping his hand harder to keep him sane and awake.

I guess at that time, I had already known

"She lied... to us, they lied... to us. We were all, just"

Martin had lost all his energy before he could finish. It seemed he had used his power to peek into the memory but of what exactly? All this time he had not even touched the professor. Was it me? I couldn't have known anymore. It seemed, he had touched the lines on our feet. They too were fluctuating. The brightest yellow I have ever seen. The tree in front of me, was at the time of light, real. Now, it had returned to its mechanic form. A mere portrayal of how we understood trees, tools for our survival. The light had ended on Martin's collapse and at that time, the room had lost its bright yellow color. i called for help, and soon they came to take us back to our rooms. 

As we were holding hands, I had caught a glimpse of what he had pictured in his mind. Inside the room, from the eyes of the fairy inside, I saw the last glimpse of what she had seen. Her little brother holding her hand. He was about the same age as Martin yet his face was all white, aside from his mouth. The boy was shaking and his wings were fluttering so fast. I tried to remember closely, what had that boy said? But every time I tried to look further, I'd have the feeling of being burnt. Immense pain rushes through my head which always stops me before I reach the end. So much pain. The next thing I knew, it was a new day but what had lasted through the night was not my sanity but actually, my tears that had not stopped falling. 

Perhaps I always knew, what that boy had said. I just didn't want to remember. Perhaps, it was something I too, once said. 

"Please, don't leave me"

© 2016 KingJoseph


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on July 4, 2016
Last Updated on July 4, 2016
Tags: Tragedy, Fantasy

Author

KingJoseph
KingJoseph

About
Hi! I am Joseph and I am a freelancer. I have submitted stories online both for profit and for the heck of it. I love writing and it makes me happy to create stories I wish I could live in. I hope tha.. more..

Writing
The Self The Self

A Poem by KingJoseph