Fairy Box: 4th Chapter

Fairy Box: 4th Chapter

A Story by KingJoseph

               I was introduced to another big figure in this laboratory. Apparently, there was a she in the lineup. A blonde figure, in her 40s with her age clearly catching up to her looks. Laid back, untucked coat. One folded sleeve the other loosely hanging. It was either she was very lax or she had been unaware of superficial figure. Her hair was messy, her coat was stained. How many nights has she been up I wonder.


               “Pardon my looks but I assure you, I am good at what I do” said the girl as she reached out her hand.


               “Oh, I apologize as well for my unnecessary staring. I am Joseph, journalist and a resident from Teratha.” As I reached out my hand.


               She began explaining her work, she, apparently, was a student of one of the founding figures. She headed the research on Fairies which her teacher started. Taking over his role after he disappeared during field work, specifically, when he found the heart of the fairy forest in Teratha.


               “The cube takes the shape of a tree today as well, any speculations as to why?”, she asked.


               “The professor said they take the form of their fondest memory. The trees were where they lived. Perhaps that explains why it’s common.”


               “Actually, you are mistaken in just a few details. The professor, that old coot. The cube takes the shape of fairies most powerful memory and not exactly it’s fondest.”


               “Isn’t energy most at their happiest state? I mean in terms of emotion that is?”


               She shifted to a lifeless face as if she could no longer control her emotions. Humans were, after all, emotional beings as well. I could not decipher nor understand what she felt and neither could she. She was, if I could say, in the middle of sadness but shifting to anger. What little amount left was used to restrain its complete shift.

               “Superficial, how I hate superficial.”, she said as she left.


               She left bitter taste as if what I said was a sin.  What on Earth did she mean by superficial and why on Earth would the professor let me meet such a rude and unkempt person. Martin was gripping as hard as he can, it seemed as if he was trying to do so from the start.


               “What is it?”, I said annoyed.


               “ She… resembles you. She has… your blood..”, He said afraid.


               Another weird insight by a weird fairy. How I hate fairies. Thinking they know everything when all they can read is my emotions. Although, emotions are deeply etched in memories. Could he be more powerful as to read my memory, or were all fairies capable of doing so.


               The tree was shining so brightly this time. The professor entered the observatory, marveled at the phenomenon happening in front of him.


               “So, ecstatic! So intense. The intensity is like no other! We have reached the high”, he said as if the light had an orgasmic effect.


               “Is this perhaps a special case?” I asked.


               “That, I say, is an understatement. Perhaps not even your writing can capture the feeling of ecstasy that I and all my researchers feel. We have reached the new world. The era of light!”


               From the observatory I could see the female researcher that had entered in this very room a few moments ago. She did not share the same sentiments. The light was indeed bright and gorgeous. The tree was a shining creation. Perhaps too bright even. The researcher had been crying trying to barge into the room. Security took her away.


               “Perhaps she was mesmerized by the beauty of the light and had simply gone crazy”, the professor added. “But nonetheless, a genius. All crazy people are after all, geniuses”.


               Martin gripped my hand but this time I noticed it right away.


               “Watch, the sadness she feels. The sadness inside the box… far beyond empathy, more of suffering and helplessness.”


               For once, I agreed with Martin, there was much more than sadness happening here. She had the look of despair but most of all, if given the chance to answer her question again as to which emotion was the strongest, I would have to say what she felt.


               Fear of knowing. 

© 2016 KingJoseph


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on August 5, 2016
Last Updated on August 5, 2016

Author

KingJoseph
KingJoseph

About
Hi! I am Joseph and I am a freelancer. I have submitted stories online both for profit and for the heck of it. I love writing and it makes me happy to create stories I wish I could live in. I hope tha.. more..

Writing
The Self The Self

A Poem by KingJoseph